Does "pure" sound mean no equalizers allowed? a debate:
Mar 15, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #61 of 65
Ok, but should I go for a good PSU, good Soundcard, good AMP + 2 good floorstanding speakers+sub

or

Soundcard with spdif connected to External DAC/AMP + 2 good floorstanding speakers+sub

I know the Xonar cards can also use their Equalizer for the SPDIF signal, so that's a plus for me. I can probably get cleaner sound with spdif and still manage to get good dynamics with the EQ. But i know the Xonar also outputs alot jitter with the SPDIF (that makes the sound more flat and liveless).

What do you think?

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #62 of 65
make baby steps, first get some professional monitors, possibly a nice amp if they're passive...set up your creative soundcard in full bit-perfect, and see where that brings you.

there's no point in upgrading everything right away, you might very much enjoy some second hand Genelec/KRK monitors....then EQ them to match your room, and see how that goes.

EQ'ing in some consumer sound card drivers is not a good option...use a VST plugin to do so, far better sounding and accurate.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #63 of 65
What is 'pure' sound and being a 'purist' actually mean?

By the time the sound has been hammered by the mixing engineer, badly digitized, re-worked into waveform amplified by all those dirty capacitors, op amps and resistors then transduced by moving magnets and echoeing around your ear cavity,

I'm telling you people, it aint pure anymore, it is a gaping open septic wound that requires urgent attention.

It may not be pretty but EQing is the BANDAGE neccessary to cover this wound.

And you ain't going to make it better by pouring pure Evian Spring Water over it!

And talking of funk, go the Ohio Players!

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #64 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may not be pretty but EQing is the BANDAGE necessary to cover this wound.

To carry the analogy further, you need to be careful that the EQ you choose isn't going to cause an infection. Gotta find an EQ that isn't going to do more harm to the signal than good. I was surprised at how some of the digital EQs I tried made the sound "wonky" in ways the EQ shouldn't have.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #65 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To carry the analogy further, you need to be careful that the EQ you choose isn't going to cause an infection. Gotta find an EQ that isn't going to do more harm to the signal than good. I was surprised at how some of the digital EQs I tried made the sound "wonky" in ways the EQ shouldn't have.

You may be hypersensitive to that adhesive my friend.

May I suggest hypoallergic bandage for you.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back