Does plex stream lossless?
Feb 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 63
I'm interested in this too.

I want to stream lossless audio files from my Plex server to my iPhone 4S and pipe that digital data into an external DAC hooked up to my headphone amp.

I think I've got the last leg of this figured out. (Jailbreak the iPhone, download the Camera Connector app, attach iPhone to DAC via the Camera Connector Kit). Is that right? http://www.head-fi.org/t/642141/iphone-4-and-external-dac-amp

But unless I can get lossless from Plex into the iPhone then it's a bit beside the point.

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 63
I did a little digging and I think I have a rough answer.

Basically, the Plex server will "direct play/stream" (i.e. not transcode) a file if the client player (e.g. iPhone) supports that format natively.

So if you have FLACs on your PC and you use your iPhone as the player, the Plex server will recognize the iPhone and automatically know that it can't natively play FLAC files. The Plex server will then automatically transcode the FLAC file into a format that the iPhone can use. (Not lossless.)

However, if the audio on your PC is ALAC, Apple's proprietary lossless format that is natively supported by the iPhone, the audio files will be direct streamed/played to your iPhone without transcoding. (Lossless!)

Some documentation that may help:
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexNine_PMS_Overview#Direct_Stream_and_Direct_Play
http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/FAQ:_Plex_Media_Server_and_NAS#What_is_transcoding.2C_and_do_I_need_it.3F

I don't know how Plex actually decides on compatible devices and formats. For example, if an iPhone had an app that would play FLACs, would Plex be smart enough to know that? Or is the device/format matrix just a static database derived from official Apple specs?

Right now all my lossless music is FLAC. :xf_mad: So it looks like I'll have to change them to ALAC unless there is some work around like jailbreaking my iPhone.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 63
I don't think all the kinks have been worked out of all the formats and devices. I came across a number of threads where people were having trouble with supported combinations. Particularly troublesome seemed to be streaming FLAC over mobile broadband.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 63
I have been using Plex to successfully stream ALAC to my iPad2, but it's currently limited to 16 bit. Is there any indication Plex may someday be enhanced to allow for hi-rez 24 bit files to work?

I also stream to my Lumia 822 Windows Phone, however that involves trans-coding to MP3 by default as WP8 doesn't support ALAC. Here's what it looks like on WP8:

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 63
I have been using Plex to successfully stream ALAC to my iPad2, but it's currently limited to 16 bit. Is there any indication Plex may someday be enhanced to allow for hi-rez 24 bit files to work?

I also stream to my Lumia 822 Windows Phone, however that involves trans-coding to MP3 by default as WP8 doesn't support ALAC. Here's what it looks like on WP8:

Hi MikeyFresh (of LH fame?)

So if I have a Sony ZX1, I might be able to stream FLAC and DSD to it using PLEX?

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 63
Thanks for the detailed answer, Michael. I shall have to experiment and see. The ZX1 is my only Amdroid device hence the questions. Cheers.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 63

George,

I read a PC World review of the ZX1 and you can definitely use the Play Store to download Plex. I'm not certain the app will work right, but you can definitely download it.

However I wonder if you'd even need that app, the review also made mention of an onboard Sony DLNA function.

It is possible if you just set up the Plex Media Server software on your computer, the existing Sony DLNA function might allow the ZX1 to access the files, although likely only locally on your own network (if it works at all). The beauty of the Plex mobile app is the remote access aspect, you don't have to be on your own network. 

Hi,

Thanks for working thru "my" night here in Singapore. It was nice to wake up and read all your comments.

I shall try to set up Plex with my ZX-1 sometime today.

Cheers

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 63

Good luck.

Remember the first step is to download their media server software to your computer and get that configured, before trying to use the ZX1 to access the files over Wi-Fi.

In case anyone else is following this exchange between mikeyfresh and me, we are also conversing via PM. My ZX is now playing back FLAC and DSD files wonderfully thanks to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back