Does plex stream lossless?
Oct 28, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 63
So, having got the ZX-1 to talk nicely with my iMac using Plex, and using the ZX's own DLNA Server app, I thought I'd donate a bit to Google's deep pockets by installing the Plex app on the ZX-1. It looks prettier but surprisingly doesn't tell you anything about the format, sample rate etc of the songs themselves.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #18 of 63
So, having got the ZX-1 to talk nicely with my iMac using Plex, and using the ZX's own DLNA Server app, I thought I'd donate a bit to Google's deep pockets by installing the Plex app on the ZX-1. It looks prettier but surprisingly doesn't tell you anything about the format, sample rate etc of the songs themselves.

If you take the ZX1 on the road, that Plex app will allow you to access music files when off your own network, so long as there is a trusted Wi-Fi network with sufficient bandwidth wherever it is you travel to.

To have that capability in pocket is probably worth the five bucks for the app.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #19 of 63
If you take the ZX1 on the road, that Plex app will allow you to access music files when off your own network, so long as there is a trusted Wi-Fi network with sufficient bandwidth wherever it is you travel to.

To have that capability in pocket is probably worth the five bucks for the app.

Indeed. Especially since in this small little country they are rolling out national wifi in the main built up areas.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 63
Hi everyone, sorry for resuming that old discussion.
What about android phones? If i install the Plex app and i've got FLACS on the server,
there has to be a way to be sure that i'm playing without transcodes..
I hope that the app itself now gives some playback information...

Jun 12, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #22 of 63
I have Plex setup on a Seagate NAS server streaming to my Galaxy S4 with the Plex client.  I'm also using the S4 phone to bluetooth to an Apt-X receiver hooked to a regular stereo receiver system and speakers.  Sequenced play is buggy, but I was having issues with that using UPnP Player, as well.  I upgraded to Plex thinking that would solve it, but it hasn't.  I don't think it's related to the phone or app, though.  Anyway, mine is set for NO transcoding and all my files are FLAC.  It has no issue playing them, so I have to assume the FLAC is coming through unaltered.

However, as others have mentioned - it will reset the Plex immediately if I attempt a FLAC high-resolution or SACD converted FLAC file.  It seems only 16-bit FLAC files will work.  That's still OK with me, because you're not talking very high quality DACs with either the phone or the bluetooth receiver, even if it is running Apt-X.  I would think others would do just fine with mp3's and the like.  However in my case, the music library is also the base for my directly-connected listening through high-quality DAC/amp/headphones.

Anyone have a clue about the buggy play?  I've seen references to it with other UPnP/DLNA play, but they always seem to focus on some obscure phone brand with a less-than-compatible app.  Mine will often get to the end of a song, then instead of sequencing to the next song in an album, it will jump back in the same song by about ten seconds and repeat playing the ending.  Then it either hangs or cycles back to repeating the entire song over again (without the repeat play command activated).  If I interrupt it by selecting the next song, then it continues on OK.  Sometimes this happens, sometimes it doesn't.  Any suggestions? 

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 63
What is the best way to tell what rate the tracks are playing through on my teac cd-p800nt. Should play what ever rate they are in plex right?

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #26 of 63
  If i were you i would try minidlna + bubbleupnp. They are nothing but rock solid, so at least you can be 100% sure its not the app. Sounds like network though, how is wired streaming over upnp?

Hi yay101,
bubbleupnp server side needs a media server installed, because it's not capable of indexing and playback (i think that this is the reason).
Currenctly i've got the bubble upnp server without the media server (On Ubuntu server 15.04).
Minidlna will serve that purpose?

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #28 of 63
Correct. There are a few other options, but I quite like minidlna. Any questions post/pm away.

Thank you very much, i'll try to install it via Putty right now, i'll pm you if something goes wrong eheh

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #30 of 63
I've been trying to determine a way to stream hi res and CD-ripped music stored on my Synology DS214 NAS to my Sony ZX2 DAP. Most of the Synology-supplied DAP apps (i.e., DS Audio) down convert the music. I've been trying to confirm if Plex would work but have seen some inconsistent results on the web. What is the view here? I wonder too if there is a way to stream over the internet so the Sony DLNA app could deliver my music unaltered. Any other tips that would work in my situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back