Does Pink Floyd style music needs good soundstage to get fully appreciated?
Oct 1, 2011 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

saadishahid

New Head-Fier
I am asking this because I am about to order ms1i but while browsing through tons of threads I have found that a bigger sound stage will be better for listening to pink floyd style stuff. I listen to mostly 70s and 80s music (no hip hop / rap etc) and I love Pink Floyd and Queen the most. 

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 18
The key to Pink Floyd and Queen....and in general, all music, is to find proper masters of the music. No headphone, amp, DAC, Cable etc will be as big an upgrade as finding a well mastered source of your favorite material.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 18
The key to Pink Floyd and Queen....and in general, all music, is to find proper masters of the music. No headphone, amp, DAC, Cable etc will be as big an upgrade as finding a well mastered source of your favorite material.

Have you heard the new 2011 remasters by the way?

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 18
Oct 1, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Ouch
cool.gif

We are talking about the ones released this week, right?

Sadly...yes...

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I am asking this because I am about to order ms1i but while browsing through tons of threads I have found that a bigger sound stage will be better for listening to pink floyd style stuff. I listen to mostly 70s and 80s music (no hip hop / rap etc) and I love Pink Floyd and Queen the most. 

YES, get AKG just for Pink Floyd and feel the magic 
k701smile.gif
 I tray Pink Floyd on Grado sr60, Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO some Denon, Philips, SoundMagic, JVC.... and this music need spherical soundstage, in my opinion and to my taste.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 18
Queen works well with a Grado, but the Floyd needs soundstage - all I've got is the K601 in the arsenal for that - works well enough
until the GS1000i lands - which will hopefully take things up a notch.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Yes. Loud and compressed turds with bad EQ.

Hey what's your opinion of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (Japan) release of 'The Wall'?

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Hey what's your opinion of the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (Japan) release of 'The Wall'?

Decent if you can get it for $20 or under. Otherwise than that look for the Harvest Pressing with the catalog number CDS 7460368 on the spine. If you can't find that then the Columbia version with catalog number C2K 36183 on the spine is great too. Both can usually be found for ~$10 at a used CD store.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #11 of 18
Yes. Loud and compressed turds with bad EQ.

Is there a version of those albums you recommend? I ordered DSOTM and WYWH hoping they would be excellent. I picked up a bad Beatles remaster a few weeks ago. Hard to know which are the ones worth getting.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Is there a version of those albums you recommend? I ordered DSOTM and WYWH hoping they would be excellent. I picked up a bad Beatles remaster a few weeks ago. Hard to know which are the ones worth getting.

For DSOTM:

Harvest pressing with catalog number CDP 7 46001 2
or
Toshiba pressing with catalog number CP35-3017

For WYWH:

CBS Sony pressing with catalog number 35DP 4
or
Columbia pressing with catalog number CK 33453

Good luck! If you search enough you should find them for cheap.

For The Beatles...depends really...you'd have to PM me what album you are looking for.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Speaking of mastering Pink Floyd albums, I want to know where these stand. (They happen to be part of my stepfather's collection, so I'd expect them to be older and likely predating the loudness war, but I'm not certain.)

A collection of great dance songs - Columbia Records - CK 37680
Animals - Capitol Records - CDP 7243 8 29748 2 6
Dark Side Of The Moon - Capitol Records - CDP 7460012
Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd - Capitol Records - CDP 7243 5 36112 2 4 (CDP 7243 5 36111 2 5)

They seem to sound fine to me, plenty of dynamic range and all, with fine details retained, if a bit faint (like that buzzing fly noise at the beginning of High Hopes on the Echoes album).

In terms of how they sound...I haven't really compared how they sound with wide vs. narrow soundstages, simply because I don't use my SS-20s to represent narrow, closed-in soundstage that often and use my Stax Lambdas (and, on occasion, the AD700) all the time, which are known for very wide soundstages. All I do know is that Pink Floyd sounds great on these, and so does anything else I play through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back