Does it matter....really?
Jul 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

poloman

New Head-Fier
If you get a great amp, does it really matter what DAP you get? Why not get a new 160 GB Ipod and pair it with a great amp and cans. Am I correct? I just bought a Sony E345 for my wife, should I amp it or leave it alone? What IEM's should I get her? If the Ipod is the way to go, what would be a good match for it ...amp, IEM and LOD ? Thanks in advance!

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
If you get a great amp, does it really matter what DAP you get? Why not get a new 160 GB Ipod and pair it with a great amp and cans. Am I correct? I just bought a Sony E345 for my wife, should I amp it or leave it alone? What IEM's should I get her? If the Ipod is the way to go, what would be a good match for it ...amp, IEM and LOD ? Thanks in advance!

With a really good amp, the DAP mainly comes down to storage and user interface.

For your wife, unless she's a music nut, she probably doesn't want to bother with separate amp, cables, recharging DAP and amp, etc.  Good phones like Meelec M9 or something similar and she will be good to go with the Sony.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:

The E345 sounds pretty darn good without any amp, I think. Can't give you IEM advice though, as I can't use them.

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 12
If you don't have the top performing universal balanced armature IEMs, I wouldn't even bother with an amp. Upgrade your transducers to the max first. I don't know about dynamics. 

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

Yes the DAP matters even more.  An amp will not change the quality of your source.  If the source sounds bad then you will be amplifying it!!  A good amp could help w/ line noise....

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 12
The DAP matters as it is the source of the music you'll hear through the amp.  There are these variables the DAB handles that no amp does:

Gapless playback.
Lossless codec support.
EQ and effects.
s/n ratio of the output jack used.

And so on.  So yes, the DAP you pair with any amp matters.

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 12
Ok now I am more confused! If I get an Ipod classic, my wife's Sony will not support lossless!!! Damn, just when I thought I had something done. What do you do if you have 2 different DAPS , but want to put the albums on both. Rip twice? Please tell me it aint so!!!

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 12
That or converting it, sadly.

As for IEMS to go with the Sony, I'd go with a lean/bright IEM to match the Sony's warm (Shot in the dark, I can only assume Sony is constant with the warm sound having experienced most prior players), but I can also recommend the Meelectronics, unless you got the UM3X for your wife!

And do you need all 160GBs? You can also transfer a 240GB hard drive into a 5.5 Gen iPod and get it modded by Redwine Audio if you have the money to. LOD, you can make your own. Doesn't take too much effort to solder. Amps, don't have too much experience so can't recommend anything.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
That or converting it, sadly.

As for IEMS to go with the Sony, I'd go with a lean/bright IEM to match the Sony's warm (Shot in the dark, I can only assume Sony is constant with the warm sound having experienced most prior players), but I can also recommend the Meelectronics, unless you got the UM3X for your wife!

And do you need all 160GBs? You can also transfer a 240GB hard drive into a 5.5 Gen iPod and get it modded by Redwine Audio if you have the money to. LOD, you can make your own. Doesn't take too much effort to solder. Amps, don't have too much experience so can't recommend anything.

LOL, no the Westone's are for me. I was thinking the new Classic just because of the space to rip all my CD's in ALAC or FLAC. Do you recommend a different player? Would something else go better with the UM3X and no amp?

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

LOL, no the Westone's are for me. I was thinking the new Classic just because of the space to rip all my CD's in ALAC or FLAC. Do you recommend a different player? Would something else go better with the UM3X and no amp?

Well if you need the space, then iPods are pretty much the only way to go. There's also the Zune, but I can't comment on the sound. I stand by me 5.5 Gen iPod then. Get the 80GB and put a 240GB hard drive in it and you'd be good to go. An amp will help, can't really recommend anything because I haven't bothered to venture past my Mini3. I think I need a new amp though because I burnt a solder pad... Waiting on a response for the XM4. None of what I have will do justice. I'd assume the Arrow does well? Can't say. Haven't read up on portable amps as I felt they were unneeded when I'm out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back