Does anyone use mog?
Feb 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #106 of 201
Does anyone know the impact on squeezebox touch users using the MOG app? Will this not be supported going forward? The thought of not having all the Grateful Dead Dick's Picks albums available at my disposal is heartbreaking.

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #108 of 201
What is everyone doing since MOG is switching to Beats?

I am pretty new to headphone audio, got a new setup coming soon (hd650's, M&M stack).  Right now I use alessandro ms-1's and my onboard audio and have always just streamed free pandora + youtube because of the convenience in selection on youtube, facebook links from friends, etc.  Pandora is great because it finds so many new artists/songs I wouldn't know how to find otherwise.  My library is small as it is, and would be microscopic if it wasn't for pandora/youtube expanding my audio selection.

So.. what streaming services will you guys be using?  What recommendations would you have for me?

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #111 of 201
Spotify has really improved. They're now 320kbps for premium users.

I've been reading that many if not most of the tracks are not 320kbps, but only some are.  Still, the quality is above the free pandora service across the board.  I am really having a hard time deciding which service I want to go with out of all the available choices.

Pandora is 64kbps i think...I can definitely tell the difference n quality.

I'd probably sub to pandora if their premium service was 320kbps.. but I don't think it is..  Also, as great as their feature is for finding similar music, a lot of channels do feel repetitive after a while.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #113 of 201
I'm another person deciding what to do now that MOG is going to turn into beats. bleh.  I hate anything associated with beats.  Millionaire athletes are idiots to be rocking that crap before and after games like they are cool or something.  I'm sure that 80% or more of the people here have better headphones than that beats junk.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #114 of 201
  Yep, I can -- we do have 192 kbps audio currently... and the plan is to switch over to 320 kbps around mid-year.  We had an all-hands meeting earlier today (just normal status update stuff) and I raised the issue just for you... and we'll start answering the bitrate question.

Honestly, most users aren't going to care or hear the difference.  The upper end of compressed audio bitrates are diminishing returns anyways.  Going 192 to 320 is barely perceptible unless you're closely A/Bing it.  Going to lossless is more significant.  Better mastering even more so, which is why I'm personally buying stuff like Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity releases and rippling lossless when I really care about something.  It's just you audiophile nerds (a term I use tongue-in-cheek since I'm one of you) who will care.  Fortunately, this issue will be going away and you can appreciate Rdio as being the best service (also tongue-in-cheek since I'm obviously biased... but really are the best).

This is great news.  Audio quality is my biggest (and perhaps only) complaint about Rdio--I can't get myself to use Spotify, as the phone and desktop interfaces are just god-awful.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #115 of 201
Happy mog user here.
I been using Pandora sense day one... After I heard the quality of mog I was stun... It only took me a few hours to leave pandora behind and go all the way with mog.

I actually like the control I have with mog.

Slackware/Debian x86_64

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #116 of 201
I'm another person deciding what to do now that MOG is going to turn into beats. bleh.  I hate anything associated with beats.  Millionaire athletes are idiots to be rocking that crap before and after games like they are cool or something.  I'm sure that 80% or more of the people here have better headphones than that beats junk.

The grand irony is you're just as blind in your refusal to associate with the brand as you accuse those who support it of being.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #117 of 201
Spotify has really improved. They're now 320kbps for premium users.

I've been reading that many if not most of the tracks are not 320kbps, but only some are.  Still, the quality is above the free pandora service across the board.  I am really having a hard time deciding which service I want to go with out of all the available choices.

Pandora is 64kbps i think...I can definitely tell the difference n quality.

I'd probably sub to pandora if their premium service was 320kbps.. but I don't think it is..  Also, as great as their feature is for finding similar music, a lot of channels do feel repetitive after a while.

Depends on what you want out of it. If you're someone who chiefly listens to albums, beats and Rdio are your pick. If you are a playlist hound and love discovering music, Spotify.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #119 of 201
after finding out that mog got bought out by beats I am now looking in too rdio and alternatives. While rdio does sound good the ability to not know the bitrates bothers me... Also no Linux Desktop App. =(

Though mog does not ether =P

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #120 of 201
  after finding out that mog got bought out by beats I am now looking in too rdio and alternatives. While rdio does sound good the ability to not know the bitrates bothers me... Also no Linux Desktop App. =(

We (Rdio) stream 192kbps, but will be notching up to 320kbps in the later half of this year.  On the phone, you'll have that as the high bitrate option... and I forget what the lower bitrate option is, but obviously it's there to avoid using too much data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back