Does anyone own both the Senn HD600 and HD650?
Feb 6, 2015 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MadJukes

New Head-Fier
I had them both at an earlier point and originally I thought it would be overkill to have both, but with all the sales happening I'm increasingly tempted to get the 650's again since they sound different and I really liked them. Does anyone else have both? How did you decide which ones to keep and how to add to your collection?

If this is under the wrong subforum, apologies and if a mod could move it, I'd appreciate it! :)

Feb 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 18
Hi,

You'd probably get more answers asking in one of these threads
normal_smile .gif
:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 18
Ah, not my question. More like, what things did you consider when adding to your headphone collection? I've heard both and like them both- this isn't a choice between the 600 and 650, but moreso between 650 and all the other headphones out there :)

Are they too similar in that money would be better spent elsewhere? Or do people own both and happily switch between them?

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 18
I have seen many reviews comparing both the 600 and 650, also many videos youtube. While they are both great top class headphones, the 600's are neutral while the 650's have a bass boost. Other than that, they are really very similar if not almost identical, of course except for the bass boost.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 18
Probably money better spent on something complimentary and different enough to provide a different outlook on your music. The 600 and 650 are very similar overall - sure the 600 has a bit more treble and the 650 more bass but they are not very different. Keep your eye out for the PM-3 and how that turns out I'd say - probably could end up being a great can to own alongside a HD6xx as a closed and planar.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 18
  I had them both at an earlier point and originally I thought it would be overkill to have both, but with all the sales happening I'm increasingly tempted to get the 650's again since they sound different and I really liked them. Does anyone else have both? How did you decide which ones to keep and how to add to your collection?

If this is under the wrong subforum, apologies and if a mod could move it, I'd appreciate it! :)

I've owned both. Knowing HD600s very well , I actually found HD650 quite different in many key areas. First of all, HD600s have the best vocals I have ever tried. HD650 are colder in the vocals actually, less musical. And I found HD600 to have more bass impact, while HD650 had a slightly more extended but less impactful bass, with more mid-bass wich made them a bit unexciting. I find HD600 very exciting instead. HD650 seemed to have more upper higs (16 to 20 Khz) and a dip around 8 to 11 Khz , while HD600 felt more balanced and lively, but because of the different overall balance with the mids, wich are a little recessed on HD650, treble felt innatural on HD650 (almost colder) while on HD600 the sound feels very natural to me. That's why I returned HD650s. 
IMO they are different enough so that if you have the money and you like both, it's worth to own both. But in my case I liked HD600 too much more to keep both.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 18
My evolution into the "HD650" went like this.  Started with the HD580.  Modded it with HD650 perforated grills and removed all the gray paint to make it all black.  Basically a DIY HD600, grooved with that  for a while.  Then one day I switched over to the HD650 cable.  One day the OPA637 OP amps in my PPA went into thermonuclear DC oscillation and nuked one of the OEM drivers.  Lesson learned, do not run the OPA637 in a low gain circuit!!  Eventually I realized my error and used OPA627 instead.  I then got a K701, and that surplanted the HD600/580 for those times I want a more neutral/accurate (relative to Grado) presentation.  The AKG is also better at resolving details and has a bigger soundstage too, although its a brighter overall presentation... IMHO.  Eventually I realized the K701 does not sound to good with bad recordings... nails on chalkboard.  So time came to decide what to do with my blacked out Senn-mod.  I figured HD650 drivers would better suit my needs and make a nice compliment to my K701 and Grados.

No regrets here!!  One of my fave headphones.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 18
I own both, of the two I will keep the HD 650 of the two. The HD 600 will likely be sold, though I may hold onto it. I decided to favor the HD 650 because it's more refined, musical, and detailed to my ears, a bit easier on the ears, and I find the extra bass extension and excursion to my liking. I find it a bit more organic sounding of the two. While I do wish the HD 650 was just a tad brighter at times for that slight extra bit of energy that can be found on the HD 600, I realized the darker treble works better for my ears in the long run.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 18

How long ago did you have the 650's?  There seems to be a consensus that there is very little difference between current 600's and 650's.  I haven't heard the 650's recently so I can't really say.  I wouldn't own both; nobody seems to feel there are huge differences, more subtleties than anything else, and it seems like a poor investment to see only a minor change in sound.  But as long as they are returnable, it might be fun to try it and if you don't find much or any difference return one of them.

I've also heard it suggested to buy the 650 drivers from Senn, and they can be pretty easily installed in the 600's, and you basically can own both for a lot less money.  I need to find out just how difficult this is, it sounds interesting.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 18
  How long ago did you have the 650's?  There seems to be a consensus that there is very little difference between current 600's and 650's.  I haven't heard the 650's recently so I can't really say.  I wouldn't own both; nobody seems to feel there are huge differences, more subtleties than anything else, and it seems like a poor investment to see only a minor change in sound.  But as long as they are returnable, it might be fun to try it and if you don't find much or any difference return one of them.

I've also heard it suggested to buy the 650 drivers from Senn, and they can be pretty easily installed in the 600's, and you basically can own both for a lot less money.  I need to find out just how difficult this is, it sounds interesting.

This by far is one of the easiest mods in all HeadFi.  Senn made everything modular on these cans so there's no solder, glue or even screws to take out.  Just proceed carefully, don't force anything and you're good to go.

Driver availability is the difficult (hit or miss) part.  Senn has a very good parts support department you have to call them on the 1-800 line and talk to a live operator.  I had my parts within a week of ordering.

I've managed to accumulate a few iterations over the years.. they come apart like legos.  The 650 driver plates are what I am using now though.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 18
Replying to my own post, I followed a youtube video about removing and installing the drivers.  the whole headphone can be easily dismantled in a few minutes, including drivers.   Unfortunately, Sennheiser doesn't have the drivers on line that I could find (I'm not sure of the part numbers).  But I believe they are about $90 per pair, based on Sennheiser's UK site.  I submitted a request for a quote.  I think I may give it a try.  As easy as it seems to be, I would be able to switch between drivers in just a matter of minutes depending on mood, music etc.  Plus I would have spare drivers.  I dismantled my old 580's to replace parts but not to the point of the driver, so I'm not too worried about damaging anything.  The drivers appear to just snap out and snap in.

I also found that 600 drivers definitely aren't sold separately anymore, and now I'm wondering if the 650 are either.  I hope this isn't a sign of their impending discontinuation, about which rumors are circulating.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 18

Actually that won't make the HD 600 sound like the HD 650. The HD 650 differs in two way from the HD 600, one is the drivers, but also the acoustic silk in front of the driver is different on the HD 650 than the HD 600, so swapping drivers won't make it the same unless you get the acoustic housing of the HD 650 as well. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 18
  Actually that won't make the HD 600 sound like the HD 650. The HD 650 differs in two way from the HD 600, one is the drivers, but also the acoustic silk in front of the driver is different on the HD 650 than the HD 600, so swapping drivers won't make it the same unless you get the acoustic housing of the HD 650 as well. 

Thanks for that info.  If I do go ahead with the experiment, I would get the silk too.  I realize it still wouldn't be a 650 as the construction materials differ, but I think it will be a fun experiment and would largely, not completely, approach the actual 650.  

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 18

Thats not true.
Senn doesn't sell the raw driver by itself.  You buy the entire plate, silk, baffle and driver installed.  So when you get the HD650 replacement "driver", it includes everything.

To make the HD580 into an acoustic equivalent to the HD650 you need the perforated metal earcup screen, HD650 cable, and driver baffle plates.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 18
  Thats not true.
Senn doesn't sell the raw driver by itself.  You buy the entire plate, silk, baffle and driver installed.  So when you get the HD650 replacement "driver", it includes everything.

To make the HD580 into an acoustic equivalent to the HD650 you need the perforated metal earcup screen, HD650 cable, and driver baffle plates.

Ah, I didn't know they sold everything together like that. How much does that roughly cost though? I got my HD 650 for $299 new.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back