Does anyone here listen to trance?
Jan 7, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Hermann
How about Kruder & Dorfmeister 'K&D Session"? Does it count?

Uh...no. Good stuff, but no, not trance.

Jan 8, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by tktran

Although these 2 tracks are great examples of uplifting and melodic trance, one is just scraping the surface of "what trance is"

Well, it's the style of Trance I listen to most, so I mentioned 2 tracks that I knew well and are good at defining melodic / uplifting trance. I guess I should have mentioned that they were melodic.

So, what are some good trance albums you guys have heard lately? I've got some HMV certificates and I need to use them. (I have a good number of albums I'm already looking for, but HMV doesn't sell them, not even special order...).

Jan 8, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #18 of 68
El~Zapo:

If you'd don't mind naming a handful of your favourite trance CDs I may be able to add a few more?

DJ Tiesto's Magik 6 (Live In Amsterdam)

Ferry Corsten's In Search Of Sunrise 2

are a couple of mixed discs to checkout.

Jan 8, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by tktran
El~Zapo:

DJ Tiesto's Magik 6 (Live In Amsterdam)

Ferry Corsten's In Search Of Sunrise 2

are a couple of mixed discs to checkout.

"In Search of Sunrise 2" is actually mixed by Dj Tiesto. And as for his Magik series, I like #5 the best. Magik 8 should be released around March according to Arny Bink @ Black Hole Recordings.

Paul Van Dyk (pronounced Paul Van Dook) recently did a double mix album called "Politics of Dancing", and is supposedly a really good album from what I hear (It might be the next album I pick up).

You won't be able to find this anywhere except in Holland, but Ferry Corsten's "Oslo Central: Trancesessions" CD is excellent. It would probably be my favorite CD if I owned it (my burned version will have to do until I can find it...)

Some other mixed albums which I recently bought, and like quite a bit are Armin Van Buuren's "Boundaries of Imagination", and Ferry Corsten's "Solar Serenades". Both are on Black Hole Recording's artist profile series of CDs.

For albums, I really enjoy Hybrid's "Wider Angle" (2 CD set, the first is studio recorded and 2nd is live in Australia [note: its breakbeat, but has a nice trancey sound to it]). Also quite good is Paul Van Dyk's "Seven Ways", and his more recent "Out There and Back".

Can anyone else recommend some CDs?

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

Paul Van Dyk (pronounced Paul Van Dook)

Are you sure about that? I thought I heard him pronounce his own name in one of his Ministry of Sound sets. Maybe it wasn't him who was talking, I don't know.

I can suggest Deep Dish's Yoshiesque 2. It is very very good.

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 68
It usually isn't the Dj talking during the sets. Mainly its the radio announcer or sometimes a prerecorded voiceover. And yes I'm pretty sure he said it in an interview once.

What style is Deep Dish? I'm thinking progressive but correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 68
El~Zapo:

In Search Of Sunrise 2 by Tiesto- thanks for the correction. A colleague of mine dumped a whole heap of trance discs on me the other week...i'm getting names mixed up again.

Out There And Back didn't do much for me, though Seven Ways was incredible when it was released in 97.

Hybrid are a breakbeat trance outfit, driven by mastermind Mike
Truman. Agreed: certainly worth checking out.

Black Hole is DJ Tiesto's label from Holland that releases many compilations that punters love. The [uplifting/euphoric] trance lover's playground.

In Trance We Trust (up to volume 6) is fine compilation series also on Blackhole.

http://www.black-hole.nl

Also check out his Forbidden Paradise compilation series, out on Guardian Angel records (Holland)

Have you heard Way Out West's Intensify?

Can I again re-recommend the Reactivate series? [React records]
:)
(1 mixed disc for home use, 2xCD or 3xvinyl for DJs), esp. Reactivate 14 mixed by Ian "00" Fleming.

Trancemaster and World of Trance are 2 great compilation series from the same stable, and the record label
Lightning Records (home of the Bonzai stable) is also superb.

www.lightningrecords.be

Raymond Kim:

Have you heard Renaissance The Masters Series Vol 2: Deep Dish in Ibiza? How does it compare to Yothiesque?

On the progressive house/trance front, a few discs I can recommend are:

Global Underground 013 : Sasha in Ibiza
Global Underground 08: Nick Warren in Brazil
Renaissance The Master's Series Vol's 1 & 3 : Dave Seaman
Northern Exposure 2: East & West Coast (Sasha & Digweed)
Northern Exposure (3): Expeditions (Sasha & Digweed)
Nubreed 04: Sander Kleinenberg
Danny Howells' Nocturnal Frequencies 1-3
Lucein Foort - Singularity 1 & 2
Deeper Shades of Hooj Vol 2
Nu-progressive Era (Hooj records)
Form & Function (Hooj Records)

I don't get to listen to many compilations more than once, but these are the ones that I thought are worthy of buying.

PS. www.amazon.com have this thing called "listmania"... a list of favourite CDs by their buyers/reviews. Great place to start.

Jan 9, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #24 of 68
tktran, I'm sorry, but I have not listened to Deep Dish's Renaissance compilation.

Quote:

Global Underground 013 : Sasha in Ibiza
Global Underground 08: Nick Warren in Brazil
Renaissance The Master's Series Vol's 1 & 3 : Dave Seaman
Northern Exposure 2: East & West Coast (Sasha & Digweed)
Northern Exposure (3): Expeditions (Sasha & Digweed)
Nubreed 04: Sander Kleinenberg
Danny Howells' Nocturnal Frequencies 1-3
Lucein Foort - Singularity 1 & 2
Deeper Shades of Hooj Vol 2
Nu-progressive Era (Hooj records)
Form & Function (Hooj Records)

Wow, hehe. I have everything on that list going down until Danny Howells. The best on the list is Northern Exposure 3: Expeditions, IMO.

Also, the mix of Hybrid's Finished Symphony on Northern Exposure 2: East Coast is absolutely AWESOME.

Jan 9, 2002 at 10:28 AM Post #25 of 68
Raymond Kim:

Yeah I quite like the Northern Exposure discs. Contain plenty of exclusives/unreleased acetates, and often a few gems from the past (eg. Union Jack's Morning Glory is a `1994(!) release from Platipus Records)

( www.platipus.com )

johnmark: If you like Paul Oakenfold it's worth checking out the other Tranceport/Transport CDs. The latest is mixed by John "Quivver" Graham, not sure what his track selection and mixing is like, but he's a fantastic producer.

Jan 10, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #27 of 68
Quote:

If you like Paul Oakenfold it's worth checking out the other Tranceport/Transport CDs.

Do you have a link to information on that cd? I looked around, but couldn't find one with John Graham's name in it anywhere.

Jan 10, 2002 at 8:55 AM Post #29 of 68
In the US the Transport series is released by Kinetic Records.

www.kineticrecords.com

Here are some (lukewarm) reviews of Transport V:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...290108-2199818

Transport 4, by Max Graham (no relation to John "Quivver" Graham) is a 2CD set, and a safer bet I'd say, given the amount of good reviews it's received.

Transport 3, by Sandra Collins, was one of the must-haves of 2000.

fellow head-fier desben should be able to give you better advice re. which Transport CDs are a good buy...

PS. One of my favourite Amazon reviewers is Richard Diaz- read his reviews for ideas of which CDs to add to your wishlist...

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #30 of 68
The other transport cds (esp 4 and 2 (graham/ralph) are not really similar to 1, they are more progressive feeling. I havnt heard 5 yet so I cant comment but I like them all, just none of the ones past 1 sound the same.. maybe thats why they changed to tranSport from tranCEport..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back