Does anyone here listen to trance?
Dec 31, 2001 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

johnmark

New Head-Fier
I noticed that a lot of people listen to classical and jazz on this board. I was just wondering if anyone else enjoyed the sound of the "electronic synthesizer" and if you have any good recommendations. Like Paul Oakenfold for example

Dec 31, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 68
Yes, I do. My personal favorite is Oliver Lieb (L.S.G. -- no, not Levert Sweat & Gill, there's another one that's trance -- The Black Album, In Too Deep, etc.).

Dec 31, 2001 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 68
No, I hate it. I hate most things that have any electronic touch to it. There are exceptions however.

Hey, don't look at me that way... a negative contribution is still...erhm.. a contribution.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2001 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 68
A set of CD3000's, the best damn electronica headphones on the planet (I trust Neruda after he chewed me out on this subject a few times...) this side of an electrostatic, and he *doesn't* listen to electronica?

*sigh*

Dec 31, 2001 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 68
I love electronica. My daily routine would go like this- morning commute to work- techno or d&b (+caffeine), commute back from work- the same, home- some house or if I'm already strung out some electronic lounge music, dinner- same, before bed- trance, while sleeping- trip-hop, downtempo electronic.

I still listen to classical and jazz but after buying my first electronic CD (Sonic Groove Defined, techno), I can't get enough of it. And yeah, headphones + trance = Bliss
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2001 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 68
thanks for that thread gluegun. I just recently bought some senn HD495's off someone here at headfi, I'm using some Koss p.o.s. right now. Since I haven't heard anything better than the 495s I'm sure I will be blown away.

I just recently got into headphones, so my next purchase will have to be an amp. Being a highschooler without a job I don't have cash as readily available as I wish it was. I asked JMT what he charged but he wouldn't tell me until I was ready to get on the waiting list, would any of you know what I should be willing to pay for one of his altoids?

Dec 31, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
A set of CD3000's, the best damn electronica headphones on the planet (I trust Neruda after he chewed me out on this subject a few times...) this side of an electrostatic, and he *doesn't* listen to electronica?
*sigh*

Well uh... our cans just don't get the attention the deserve.
Check out Vertigo for instance.. he's listening to rap and techno with those R10.... now *that* should be illegal.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 68
I'm right behind Dustychalk on that one.

German wizard Oliver Lieb is one of the world's most prolific trance artists, with productions spanning for more than 10 years.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but a perennial favourite amongst producers and DJs alike.

Amazing stuff IMHO.

He records under various aliases. More info at ->

www.superstition.de

His new releases may make newbies yell
"That's NOT trance!!!" in indignation.

I'd recommend "Paraglide (Humate mix)" to start off with, a track he wrote in '94 under the pseudonym Paragliders. It's a stormer, and remains a classic to this day (re-released in `99, so shouldn't be too hard to find)

Jan 6, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 68
I don't listen to much trance (or other electronica) now. It just doesn't do it for me any more. Paul Oakenfold's 'Tranceport' and some occasional LTJ Bukem (chilled dnb) are about all the electronic stuff I still go in for.

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but give the 'Chilled Euphoria' line on Telstar a try. The first two are mixed by Red Jerry and the third is done by Solar Stone. It's very, very smooth, very spacey; a bunch of laid-back remixes of songs you've probably heard many of if you listen to Oakenfold, Tiesto, Ferry Corstein, Sasha, etc.

Jan 6, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 68
Yeah, I'm a big Trance listener. I listen to it most of the day! I'm into the really melodic stuff... like Ferry Corsten (aka: System F), Dj Tiesto (earlier works), Armin Van Buuren, Vincent De Moor, Paul Van Dyk, etc.

Jan 6, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 68
Uh, does Static-X: Wisconsin Death Trip - The Trance Is The Motion count???
confused.gif

I like some Oakenfold songs, but most of them are just really repetitive. When a DJ mixes a bunch of beats from LPs (no vocals) and plays them in serveral crossfades, does that count as trance? I'm not really into electronic music unless it involves actual instrument synthesisers (a la keyboard).

Jan 7, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 68
"When a DJ mixes a bunch of beats from LPs (no vocals) and plays them in serveral crossfades, does that count as trance?"

Yeah it could if it is Trance that they are mixing! Nearly all electronic music has some kind of beat in it, so your question is vague. Trance can have vocals too, there are a lot of good songs with vocals (although I usually prefer without).

Check out this song: "System F - Out of the Blue (Original Mix)"

or, if you want vocals, check out "Jan Johnston - Flesh (Original or Dj Tiesto Mix)".

Listen to those, and you'll know what trance is.

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

El~Zapo said:

Check out this song: "System F - Out of the Blue (Original Mix)"

or, if you want vocals, check out "Jan Johnston - Flesh (Original or Dj Tiesto Mix)".

Listen to those, and you'll know what trance is.

Although these 2 tracks are great examples of uplifting and melodic trance, one is just scraping the surface of "what trance is"

This style of trance was brought to the masses in 98-00 by DJs and Producers like Paul van Dyk, Oakenfold, Ferry Corsten, DJ Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, DJ Taucher, Transa, Dirk M.I.K.E Derrickx, Yves De Ruyter, Torsten Stenzel (to name just a few)

Don't get me wrong- both those tracks were club hits (quite deservedly IMHO), but it would be unfair to say that they encapsulate "trance"

The compilation series that I feel gives the best overview of trance (and not just a snapshot) is Reactivate (from React Records [UK]) and Trancemaster (ID&T Records (???) [Germany])

ie. if I were to do an essay on the history/evolution/future of trance(y) music this is what I'd use.

PS. I second gloom's recommendation on Chilled Euphoria. Actually anything by Red Jerry (head honcho of Hooj Records) is worth your time. Also watch out for Solar Stone (especially the stuff available only on 12" vinyl)

Jan 7, 2002 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 68
Hi there,

Saafi Brothers - Midnight children / Mystic Cigarettes.
Give it a spin. Damn good stuff.
biggrin.gif

Midnight children is available on vinyl.

How about Kruder & Dorfmeister 'K&D Session"? Does it count?

Cheers
Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back