Does anyone here listen to trance?
Nov 22, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Saw Tiesto on Friday night. Excellent set of uplifting and melodic stuff. I had seen him in Ibiza where he went more progressive to cater to the Brits I guess, but this is the Tiesto that I wanted to see. Highlights for me included the Tiesto remix of Southern Sun, his own Lethal Industry, the Gabriel and Dresden remix of Way Out West's mindcircus, and a personal old favorite of mine, Energy 52's Cafe Del Mar.

Wow, just by looking at what he played, that is probably one of the most uninspired sets I've read about so far. He wasn't catering to the Brits, he was catering to the Americans by slap-sticking the most recent popular trance songs of the past few years. It's a problem most people talk about; the big name European DJ's always seem to "dumb down" their sets when they come over to the United States. Their sets in Europe are so much more original and representative of their actual sound, or so they say. I guess this is a testament to how unopen Americans are about electronic dance music. Either that, or Tiesto is one hell of a lazy dj.

Tktran: Wasn't Sasha touring in Australia recently? Or is he touring there now?

Nov 22, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #47 of 68
My friend gave me a CD of Trance/techno stuff. There's one song on there that is probably called "trance illusion". (I don't know, but that's the the main "lyrics") I love that song. He also gave a CD of a group called Resident E I like that too. Although I think there trying to be satanic scary types. the echo every number except for 6 only once, on 6 they repeat it 6 6 6...

can you guys recommend a really good compilation of diffrent artists that I can go out and buy. ever since I got my beyer 770 pro I wanted to listen to more and more trance.

Nov 22, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #48 of 68
I never listen to trance but I am always in a trance when I listen... usually drunk as a skunk
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #49 of 68
hmm.. just skimming through the whole thread and theres lots and lots of dance/trance stuff mentioned but nary a mention of (imo) the truly interesting (for listening) psy-trance.

I find most "trance" while it's nice dance music isn't particularly interesting for just listening. On the other hand i find psychedlic-trance/goa to be very interesting but at the same good to dance to as well. Well that's how i feel about it anyway.

Some albums well worth getting from this side of trance -

Deviant Electronics - Brainwashing is Childs Play
Hux Flux - Cryptic Crunch
Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger
Hallucinogen - Twisted
Pleiadians - Family of Light
Etnica - juggeling alchemists under the black light

Nov 23, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #51 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by tktran
What's BT's R&R like? I saw the tracklisting and it looks like a compilation of B-sides and remixes. Great for those ppl new to BT...

I don't like R&R very much. It is all mixed together, and the mixing is decent on some tracks (Transway --> Shame) and absolutely atrocious on others (Sunblind --> Smartbomb).

Actually, I was mixing with Sunblind last weekend (a CD-R my friend had). The track was actually the mixed copy from R&R, and not the single version I thought it was. Halfway through the mix, the intro to the Smartbomb remix comes blaring across my headphones. I couldn't stop it.
mad.gif

So now you have a fast song, Sunblind, starting out the set, and Fibonacci Sequence has to be sped up much too fast. Takes out the slow, sinister effect that the song has. Then comes another horrible mix into Hip-Hop Phenomenon. This is sped up even faster from the original than Fibonacci Sequence is, and completely ruins the effect of the wicked bassline the track has. It just sounds weird instead of funky.

In my opinion, listen to the original versions of the tracks, which may be hard to come by. You can find some on "Still Life in Motion." You might also want to look at the new compilation, "10 Years in the Life." The first CD is a nice collection of unmixed tracks that BT wrote, and the second CD is a mixed collection of tracks. Some BT-original tracks, some BT remixes, and some collaborations with others (BT & Sasha...mmMMMmmmmm...2 Phat *****!)

Quote:

Originally posted by Raymond Kim
Wasn't Sasha touring in Australia recently? Or is he touring there now?

Sasha is in Adelaide now and will be in Brisbane next, according to his touring website. I got to see him with John Debo in Minneapolis, MN on October 26
biggrin.gif
! Here are some pictures
cool.gif

Nov 23, 2002 at 11:16 PM Post #52 of 68
punosion: Awesome! I saw Sasha when he was over here in Los Angeles at The Palace as well. I had more fun dancing to John Debo's music, though. From what I've heard I'd assume his show at the Mayan theatre, a few weeks before the one at The Palace, was much better.

When I saw S&D playing in New Orleans at the House of Blues for their Delta Heavy Tour, however, Sasha rocked the mother^@#$ing house.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #53 of 68
I really like Sasha's new solo album 'Airdrawndagger'. It's much different than the work he did with Digweed. Lots of new sounds in this one, much of it sounds nearly ambient while other parts are driven by heavy beats. I even read one reviewer who compared a track to a Depeche Mode B-side.

Anyway, worth picking up for sure.

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:10 AM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

I really like Sasha's new solo album 'Airdrawndagger'. It's much different than the work he did with Digweed. Lots of new sounds in this one, much of it sounds nearly ambient while other parts are driven by heavy beats. I even read one reviewer who compared a track to a Depeche Mode B-side.

Anyway, worth picking up for sure.

And I can't forget to mention Airdrawndagger's excellent sound quality; for an electronic dance music album, it is pretty damn well recorded. The track "Magnetic North" sounds SO sweet with my Grado HP-1. Airdrawndagger is the only EDM album I listen to with my Grado HP-1. Most other EDM albums are not recorded well enough to warrant the HP-1's use; instead I use the MDR-V6 for that type of music because they provide more bass than the HP-1.

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:10 PM Post #55 of 68
So after I went through the whole thread I can only conclude that `trance music` in North America stands for something quite different than here in Europe. I have never heard of 99% of bands, performers, and DJ`s you guys are talking about.
confused.gif

Except for bioxeed`s list. I find Pleiadians` "Family of Light" very enjoyable.

BUT, my all time trance favorites are the mighty Astral Projection from Israel. They have just released their new album "Amen" and it is simply amazing, just as the rest of their stuff. Highly recommended, honestly. It is deep, melodic, fast, energized - I just love it.

Someone even mentioned "K&D Sessions". This is one of the best pieces of modern music I have, but it`s not trance. Check out Tosca, Peace Orchestra, Sofa Surfers or Jazzanova for this kind of stuff...

greetings, miroslav

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav
BUT, my all time trance favorites are the mighty Astral Projection from Israel. They have just released their new album "Amen" and it is simply amazing, just as the rest of their stuff. Highly recommended, honestly. It is deep, melodic, fast, energized - I just love it.

ahh the good old astral projection. they have some classic tracks (Mahadeva, Kabalah and People can Fly are some of the better known tracks
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I still haven't got Amen yet. Hopefully soon. Like i was saying before this stuff isn't nearly as well known as the dancey/prog-trance stuff.

Nov 30, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #58 of 68
Gee I'm glad for the new no-thread-crapping rule, or certain people (including a lot of board 'heavyweights') would be all over this thread.

I'm huge on electronic music, but have never been tooo much into trance. The psy/goa trance I have heard, I was quite impressed with due to its aggressive edge, but it's all still too 4/4 for me.

Is there anything that mixes the fat synth lines, etc of trance with a more breakbeat driven edge? I think that would rock, but I'm not well-versed enough in the various trance microgenres to know if such a thing exists.

Nov 30, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Is there anything that mixes the fat synth lines, etc of trance with a more breakbeat driven edge? I think that would rock, but I'm not well-versed enough in the various trance microgenres to know if such a thing exists.

you HAVE to listen to deviant electronics - blunt instuments

EXACTLY what you're after. very psy/goa melodies but with broken beats instead of 4/4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back