Chicane
DJ Tiesto
Ferry Corsten
BT
Thrillseekers
LSG
Planisphere
etc...

Those are some of my favorite trance artists/DJ's. Melodic trance, chilled out euphoric trance/ambient, etc. Thats what I'm into. I could start naming favorite albums and whatnot but I'd go on forever.
smily_headphones1.gif
However I must mention Sashas new upcoming album titled "Airdrawn Dagger". All I have to say is if you have the means then give this guy a listen. Then be sure to pre-order your copy asap. This cd is nothing short of amazing. This topic has been dead for a while. I'm new so hopefully I can breathe some new life back into it and see if any of you are still around and as much into trance as I am. Peace.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #32 of 68
>This cd is nothing short of amazing.

Have you heard it or got a tracklisting? What's it like?

It's been in the works for awhile- i thought it'd never see the light of day.

Jul 22, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #33 of 68
Sasha "Airdrawn Dagger"
Audio CD (5 August, 2002) <---I have the promo cd released a month or so ago in mp3 form.

Tracklisting is as follows (taken from a review on amazon.co.uk):

1. Dremples 1:23
A short burst of shimmering, bleepy, analogue soundscape clocking in at just under a minute and a half. A warm-up to get your ears attuned.

2. Mr Tiddles 4:53
As with much of the album, 'Mr Tiddles' seems to pay tribute to an era in the early Nineties when artists such as Spooky and The Drum Club were at their peak. A cool, understated five minute introduction that unfurls with all the production manners of Future Sound Of London circa 'Lifeforms', it's bass-heavy with loads of delay, like a Germanic minimalist cathedral of synthetic sound supplemented with massive, washing synth sounds.

3. Magnetic North 5:17
A bass pattern rises out of the darkness. A flurry of shuddering drums and shifting, haunting keys. This is where things move subtly up a gear with a glimmer of a nu-skool breaks rhythm track.

4. Cloud Cuckoo 8.26
A pure ethereal soundtrack with menacing keys is split by a tough West Coast drum pattern with an up-front snare sound. More deep, brooding, bass-heavy breakdowns with cascading synth patterns filtering down. Ends with a Jan Hammer/Miami Vice-style drum stab and melts directly into. . .

5. Immortal 4:54
A brooding, buzzing nu-skool bassline underpins this downbeat slice of breakbeat. Hovering around the 110 bpm mark, the track is covered in crisp, cut-up hi-hats (sounding like high-pitched scratching) with a rising and descending 'horror movie' hook line the creates a lot of tension. Includes another rippling bass breakdown. Wouldn't sound amiss in a Meat Katie DJ set.

6. Fundamental 9:13
Dark, robotic breakbeat atmospherics with a touch of the Timo Maas in the bassline and lots of twisted filters. Morse code bleeps play in the upper frequencies. Really kicks in round the six minute mark and rides the same dark riff for a further three minutes. A Mixmaster Morris-ish take on current fixations with all things electro.

7. Boileroom 7:04
A looped-backwards brassy sample cycles round before exploding into a classic Sasha breakbeat - lots of space and contrast between pounding low notes and trebly rhythm track. High bell notes play against twisted electronic noises further down. A BT-style crescendo around the two minute mark reminds of the days when Sasha used to cane 'Embracing The Sunshine'.

8. Bloodlock 7:53
The track that's most akin to 'Xpander'. A floor-shaking bass rumble growls along as more synth arpeggios cascade down. A hi-hat pattern plays left and right in the speakers and a marching pattern plays towards the end, rising in frequency. Very Orbital-ish and something of an updated tribute to the early sound of Sven Vath's Eye-Q imprint.

9. Requiem 6:08
Like incidental music from Bladerunner, this track betrays Sasha's love of movie soundtrack dynamics and looks to Vangelis for epic inspiration. Heavy delay cuts up an almost guitar-sound melody that descends into computer game bleeps that in turn fade to echo.

10. Golden Arm 5:45
A cute melody cycles round before the 4/4 bass kicks in with a very 'Euro' rhythm pattern. The bass and deep synth are linked in a rising and falling cycle while echoing noises play beneath. The closest thing to a pop song on the album.

11. Wavey Gravy 7:29
'Wavey Gravy' was previewed on Sasha's boat party at The Miami Winter Music Conference and is the album's most obvious contender for first single. Like Kevin Beber reworking one of Hybrid's more symphonic excursions, this seven-minute cut is built on a strong rim-shot rhythm pattern. Evoking images of sunshine falling through leaves, this is another track with a touch of Vangelis about it, with a blissful, swooping synth melody that plays to fade.

I'd have to agree with every track discription. This cd is a great cd for headphone listening.
smily_headphones1.gif
It has so much going on in it. Tracks 1-4 really get you in a relaxed mood as it surrounds you in an ambient soundscape of wonderfull sounds. Tracks 5-7 showoff Sashas breakbeat abilities. Track 7 really explodes and is the highlight breakbeat track IMO! Track 8 starts to slow things back down a bit and then the gorgeous track 9 "requiem" takes you on an epic journey through space.
smily_headphones1.gif
Its beautiful. Track 10 starts to get things moving again but it keeps things steady and doesn't get too fast and it bleeds nicely into track 11 "wavey gravy" which is probably going to be the most popular song from this album. All in all I can't think of a better all around album off the top of my head. Sasha at his best. I heard the album he and BT were working on is finished and looking to be released soon as well. Should be good.

Jul 23, 2002 at 12:31 AM Post #34 of 68
Paul Oakenfold :

Voyage into Trance
Goa mix Silver
Tranceport

DJ Tiesto -

Live @ innercity amsterdam
In My Memory
Quite a few of his remixes

In general, i usually listen to epic/melodic or Goa.

Jul 27, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #35 of 68
pulsedriver is pretty good. I am kinda new to trance, tho. i like a couple songs of paul oakenfold, but some i dont like. ATB has some good songs. pulsedriver - cambodia (green court remix) is pretty cool sounding on nice cans.

Jul 31, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #37 of 68
I'm not a huge fan of electronica and trance music for one main reason; it seems like it is just a 'trance' with no climax or any melodic contour whatsoever. Sure, some electronica tunes start out with just a drumbeat, then slowly other sounds/instruments gradually get added in, but in my book that is not quite melodic contour. To put it most simply, sometimes it just seems like many typical electronica tunes don't go anywhere; this is mostly due to their lack of climax, and IMO it gets a little too redundant for my tastes after a while.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #38 of 68
"I'm not a huge fan of electronica and trance music for one main reason; it seems like it is just a 'trance' with no climax or any melodic contour whatsoever. Sure, some electronica tunes start out with just a drumbeat, then slowly other sounds/instruments gradually get added in, but in my book that is not quite melodic contour. To put it most simply, sometimes it just seems like many typical electronica tunes don't go anywhere; this is mostly due to their lack of climax, and IMO it gets a little too redundant for my tastes after a while."

Ahh I see someone hasn't seen the light. Seriously trance ,just like any other genre of music, has its poor quality and high quality stuff. Don't think of trance (or any electronica music for that matter) as a bunch of boring beats that repeat on and on. A good trance tune will take you on a journey. It can start out slow, build you up with anticipation, and just when things are moving at a steady pace they can thrill you with a great breakdown bringing things to a climax that can leave you feeling euphoric. To put it simple trance should put a smile on your face and just make you feel good.
wink.gif
There are so many forms of trance now days. Progressive, melodic, hard, etc. Typically the type of music I like tends to fall into the melodic side. I like music that combines alot of stuff and sounds unique. I hate boring repeating sounds. So with that said I would like to recommend some of the following stuff (keep in mind this isn't all categorized as "trance" but rather this is all electronica music in general):

Orbital - In Sides (If you haven't heard this album you are really missing out. Its hard to categorize Orbital into any one genre so I usually just say they are electronica and leave it at that. There is no mistaking their unique sound. If you find their stuff "boring" then my friend I simply can't help you. Unique, uplifting, ever chaning, epic, etc. Orbital can do it all and "In Sides" is their best album IMO. "Adnans" is my favorite song on the album and truelly is a brilliant piece of work. Not to be missed.)

Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms (What can I say. This is a masterpiece and words cannot do it justice. Ambient, atmospheric, and VERY unique. Listening to this album will make you feel like you've escaped to a new world full of noises you've never heard before. Its like a strange dream but you love every minute of it. Another one of those albums that everyone should own. A must for any fan of music...period.)

L.S.G. - Into Deep (L.S.G. is a side prooduct of the legendary producer/DJ Oliver Lieb. Stuff released under this name tends to be very melodic and chilled. You will find elements of ambient, trance and drum n bass all rolled into one nice package. Into Deep is another one of those albums I just can't say enough about. "Concatenation" is my favorite track on the album and its a 9:23 journey that starts off very ambient, slowly leading you into a nice drum beat and just as things get very chilled out around the 5:53 mark it hits you with that same drum beat but this time with the lovely chilled out synths remaining in the background. This same drum beat will be found on track 3 titled "Give Me Your Hand" which is a short 3:07 but damn it is so beautiful.

Sasha - Airdrawn Dagger (Although not yet released I managed to get a copy of the promo. Sasha really shows off his talents on this album. Prepare to be blown away! Ambient chilled music gets things started for the first few tracks and then the middle of the album is packed with some excellent breakbeat stuff of which "Boileroom" is the highlight. Towards the end of the album things get chilled again with an excellent ambient masterpiece titled "Requiem". Its gorgeous. To end the album Sasha gives us "Wavey Gravy" which will no doubt be the hit single off this cd. DJ's everywhere are currently spinning this song. Its breakbeat with a twist. Very cool indeed. All in all this is Sashas finest hour and cannot be missed.)

Chicane - Far From the Maddening Crowds AND Behind The Sun (Chicane is widely known for for its chilled out tunes. Out of all the stuff I've listen so far this is the purest form of trance. A little more mainstream. "Saltwater" is from their "Behind The Sun" album and its probably one of the most famouse trance tracks every to be released by any artist. "Halcyon" is another great one. Can't go wrong with Chicane. Quality stuff.)

BT - ESCM (Yup thats really the name of the album. Standout tracks on this one are "Firewater", "Flaming June", and "Content". BT does breakbeat as good as anyone and in ESCM he starts to show us that. Dont be fooled though. "Flaming June" for example is one of the most beuatiful pieces of music I've ever heard. With elements of breakbeat it manages to maintain a chilled out and really gorgeous melody all throughout. Probably his most famous track and ESCM is his best album IMO. Good stuff!)

Way Out West - Way Out West (No I am not studdering. This is WOW's self titled album and its brilliant. I became an instant fan upon my first listen. Just listen to the song titled "Domination". Around the 5:40 mark it starts on this breakdown that ends with such an awesome climax. It really gets my blood pumpin!)

Hmm I'm tired and dont feel like recommending anymore.
smily_headphones1.gif
Looking at that list there I can't think of a better way of getting into "electronic" music. I'd be willing to bet that out of all those albums at least one would appeal to any one person. If there is a person out there that doesn't like any of that stuff than I truelly feel sorry for him/her.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2002 at 11:21 AM Post #39 of 68
Hi Quality Guru. If your looking for a piece of trance that takes you on a journey and does everything you describe, check out the second disc of BT's "Ima", "Sasha's Voyage of Ima" is the track (It's 40plus minutes long). The qualities you describe are actually the reason why I listen to trance, though there is a lot of "trance" music that doesn't accomplish that at all.

Aug 11, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #40 of 68
Yeah Sasha's Voyage of Ima was a great interpretation of BT's Loving You More, Embracing the Future and Deeper Sunshine. What a journey!

Cyberwoo:
I've not heard the self titled debut album from Way Out West, but the 2nd album "Intensify" is fantastic stuff in it's own right.

BT's 2nd album Movement in Still Life is also something to grab...

Aug 11, 2002 at 2:16 PM Post #43 of 68
Saw Tiesto on Friday night. Excellent set of uplifting and melodic stuff. I had seen him in Ibiza where he went more progressive to cater to the Brits I guess, but this is the Tiesto that I wanted to see. Highlights for me included the Tiesto remix of Southern Sun, his own Lethal Industry, the Gabriel and Dresden remix of Way Out West's mindcircus, and a personal old favorite of mine, Energy 52's Cafe Del Mar.

Anyway, this prompted me to go buy his In Search of Sunrise 3 CD which is a nice collection of melodic trance from the last few months.

Michael

Aug 12, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Cyberwoo:
I've not heard the self titled debut album from Way Out West, but the 2nd album "Intensify" is fantastic stuff in it's own right.

Ya "Intensify" is great too. You should definately give the first album a listen too.

Quote:

BT's 2nd album Movement in Still Life is also something to grab...

Its actually his 3rd but whos counting?
biggrin.gif
For the record the order goes as follows (not counting his compilations, singles or imports) :

BT - Ima
BT - E.S.C.M.
BT - Movement In Still Life
BT - R&R (Rare & Remixed)

Quote:

In the "Tranceport" series, definitely check out the Sandra Collins cd

Agreed. Nice set.

Quote:

Anyway, this prompted me to go buy his In Search of Sunrise 3 CD which is a nice collection of melodic trance from the last few months.

Ya ISOS3 is nice. Make sure you have ISOS1 and ISOS2 as well. They are both excellent. Tiesto usually has great track selection.

Aug 13, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #45 of 68
Old Pa:

The Reactivate i'm referring to is the techno and trance compilation on the React Record label. (www.react-music.co.uk)
It a great series that's been around for almost 10 years.

Currently up to volume 18, but the last one that I'd had a chance to listen to is 15.

One of my all time favourite discs is Reactivate Volume 14, mixed by John "00" Fleming.

If you go out to buy them be aware that each React volume comes in 3 formats- a DJ friendly 3x LP, 2x CD (unmixed) and 1 CD(mixed by a guest DJ)

The mixed discs CDs are the best for home listening.

Cyberwoo:

What's BT's R&R like? I saw the tracklisting and it looks like a compilation of B-sides and remixes. Great for those ppl new to BT...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back