Does anyone have the iPhone LOD pinout?
Nov 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #228 of 259
it doesnt carry any current at all, only a logic level signal pulling the pin up to a reference voltage through a resistor divider to tell the iphone its good to go. you could get away with the smallest resistor you can find

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #230 of 259

Quote:
it doesnt carry any current at all, only a logic level signal pulling the pin up to a reference voltage through a resistor divider to tell the iphone its good to go. you could get away with the smallest resistor you can find

Now you tell me! 
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #231 of 259
Also to avoid having to put your device into airplane mode you can add a rf choke to the end of the cord that plugs in to your amplifier. The closer to the amp the better. A rf choke is a ferrite ring that you pass the audio signal lines through and it is a inductor that inhibits the high frequency of the GPRS waves but allows the audio frequency to pass through. You could simply steal one from an existing cord or buy one at radio shack or the like. I got mine from a dead playstation controller. run the line through it and wrap it around once over to make a loop and bye bye buzz noise.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #232 of 259
Anyone tried line in?
I bought a PodBreakout board and tried soldering jack connectors to the line in pins (connecting the ground to pin 2, as I did with line out):

http://www.kineteka.com/PodBreakout-v1.aspx

I tried it on my iPod Touch 3G and it worked, for awhile. But, when I tried it again it didn't.
Also, I couldn't record the incoming signal, I just heard it in my headphones.

I didn't use a resistor between pin 1 and 11 and it seems to work fine without any error messages.

Thoughts anyone?

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #233 of 259
anyone else finding iphone v4 to be pickier wrt the exact resistor value? i've had 2 occasions recenetly where i've run out of my normal small 68k0 and had to use 68k2 and finding i'm getting errors, still works, but save old annoying message, same cable works fine on 3g and ipad. i have more resistors on the way, but previously i have used anywhere between 66-69k in a pinch with no issue. edit, i may be mistaken how high i have used before

edit: 66k8 was the lowest i used before, , i just tested by starting at 65 and adding 1k at a time, it starts working at 67 and stops at 68k2, so perhaps some of these weird errors i have seen people report in here could be caused by using really cheap low tolerance 68k resistors  that are in actuality 68.5-69k. i'll find time at some point to run through adding 100r resistors, or did jonniboi do that already?

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #234 of 259
I'm planning on making a DIY lod for my ipod classic (160GB, newest version, using it with FiiO E5 amp).

I read in an earlier post that the resistor is only used to "fool" the iphone into accepting the hardware.
In that case, do I even need a resistor in the cable if it's only for an ipod classic? (Therefore I'll only be soldering three wires to the grounds (1 & 2), right (3) and left (4) pins of connector)

Or if I do need a resistor, is there a specific resistor that someone has found to work well with the ipod classic?

Thanks

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #235 of 259
its the same resistor for all of them, there is no iphone, touch, classic resistor, something 67-68k will work on all of them. dont use 1 and 2 for ground, use 15, or 29, since this is your first lod its best to leave as much room as possible, so you dont cause any shorts. all of the grounds are connected internally in the idevice anyway. i would put the resistor in regardless, from memory at least one model classic needs it and you may as well have an lod that works on everything.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #236 of 259
So...noob question but I knew that the sound gods here could answer this question:

When using a shielded cable (Like a Mogami or a Canare starquad) are you soldering the shield at both ends, ie. Dock Connector and 3.5mm plug, or leaving one floating?

The reason I ask is because common procedure is to leave the shield floating at the amp end, but I didn't know if it makes much difference for the length of this cable and it's application.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #237 of 259

Quote:
So...noob question but I knew that the sound gods here could answer this question:

When using a shielded cable (Like a Mogami or a Canare starquad) are you soldering the shield at both ends, ie. Dock Connector and 3.5mm plug, or leaving one floating?

The reason I ask is because common procedure is to leave the shield floating at the amp end, but I didn't know if it makes much difference for the length of this cable and it's application.

You terminate the shield at one end when making unbalanced connections, but in balanced TRS connections, the shield also carries audio information (on the gnd wire) so you definitely want that soldered at either end as well.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #239 of 259
I have an old FM transmitter for my iPod that I have used for, oh, the last six years or so. The connector needs replacement, and I have finally gotten the replacement part in from SparkFun. The transmitter is sufficiently old that it does not work for iPads and iPhones, so in the process I will be attempting an upgrade with the 68k resistor on P21.

Will post back with photos when finished.

-T

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #240 of 259
I would be curious if this same configuration would work for the iPods as well (e.g. if you make for the iPhone it works for both, but not if you make just for iPod)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back