Does anyone have the iPhone LOD pinout?
Feb 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #153 of 259
Well, the 68k one and the pins pointed in on the last page is reported to work for the 3g, and most probably the touch 2g too.

The ~1K works perfectly on the touch 2g with the pins in the illustrations I posted, but I haven't tested them on the iphone 3g. I think the search continued for the 3g after the touch 2g was figured out, so I guess there were still issues. what issues? I didn't follow. if anyone can attest to the 68k working on a 2g too, I'd go with that for universality. if you don't care bout an iphone, the 1k will work. I suggest that whatever you do, don't glue that dock closed before it works!

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #154 of 259
The 1K will work with everything, however it will result in a "not compatible" message on the iPhone 3G.

The 68k will work for everything including the 3G with no message. I've tested both on a 3G and can confirm this (however, I'm not so sure about the Touch 2G).

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #155 of 259
I recently purchased the Audeo PFEs which have the built in mic/control function and was wondering if there's any way to implement that functionality using the dock connector for iPhone 3G. My goal would be to build a dock connector with a USB charge cable out and a headphone out connector (4 conductor) which could provide the line out as well as the mic/control accessibility. Looking at the pinout.ru diagram it looks like all of the controls are done on the serial port but the Ridax site offers a dock connector with a pigtail which supposedly does what I'm trying to do (minus the USB).

Any ideas? My plan is to modify my external amp to pass through the mic connector so that I can still control everything with my IEMs.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #157 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1K will work with everything, however it will result in a "not compatible" message on the iPhone 3G.

The 68k will work for everything including the 3G with no message. I've tested both on a 3G and can confirm this (however, I'm not so sure about the Touch 2G).

I tried my 1k version on my 2G touch, perfect, on the iPhone 3G it was rough and staticky sound. And echoey. Really bad. Is this the resistor or something else? Going to try a 68k anyway.... Strangely the plug (from Qables) was smooth and tight on my Touch but stiff on the iPhone.

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #158 of 259
The resistor is nowhere near the audio signal (at least, it shouldn't be). I have a 1k resistor LOD that I made and have no problems with it (other than the "not compatible" message popping up). I can't say why it sounded bad on your phone - it should work exactly the same on both devices. Did you turn on the Airplane Mode on the phone so that there would be no EM interference?

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #159 of 259
Is anyone in the DIY community building / selling LODs incorporating this research? I have several LODs which work with my older iPods. I would like to be able to use iPhone 3G with pocket amp, without annoying messages.

I can do this with the Apple iPhone dock, but it is a bit cumbersome in the pocket.

Ideally, I would like to see a LOD incorporating the new micro-USB jack for charging while playing.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #160 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latest for that is to have (11 and 15)--|66k|--(21). This probably works for the 2g too, and may be more universal. maybe someone else can comment on that.

I've just finished this and tested this on the iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G, iPod Nano and 3rd Gen iPod. Works flawlessly on all. No messages on iPhone or iPod Touch. I used a single 68kohm resistor just to make it easy.

I think everyone can now consider this the universal solution, thank you all for your advice/input.

PS joining pin 11 and 15 can simply be done by bending the pin legs. Easier than soldering an extra jumper wire. Also, my question (re echo) a few posts up was answered by the fact that after re-inerting pins 2-4 after soldering, they had come out slightly just before gluing. I recommend not pulling them out, just soldering whilst they're in.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #161 of 259
Slightly offtopic - i'm interested in getting line out on my iphone (1st gen), and when I've saved up my couple of dollars, I will order a ridax connector.

However, I would also like to get line-in to work. Has anyone had success with that? I'm wondering if the method described in this thread will allow line in to work without any other modification?

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #163 of 259
The only issue with that is that the mic input is mono, whereas the line-in is stereo (and possibly better quality?).

But of course, I can live with it, it was just if it was easy to do, the line-in is preferable - plus it opens up a whole possibility of recording from vinyl, or mixing desks straight to the iphone, for example.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #164 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've still not been able to get this to work without the warning on a 1st Gen iPhone. Can you confirm on the 1st Gen? It does line out, but gives me the warning. I've made several, if you can confirm that it works, then there's a revision issue or something else different between them.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #165 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just finished this and tested this on the iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G, iPod Nano and 3rd Gen iPod. Works flawlessly on all. No messages on iPhone or iPod Touch. I used a single 68kohm resistor just to make it easy.

I think everyone can now consider this the universal solution, thank you all for your advice/input.

PS joining pin 11 and 15 can simply be done by bending the pin legs. Easier than soldering an extra jumper wire. Also, my question (re echo) a few posts up was answered by the fact that after re-inerting pins 2-4 after soldering, they had come out slightly just before gluing. I recommend not pulling them out, just soldering whilst they're in.

I suggest you lose the ground wire near the audio pins and solder your ground to pins 11/15. It frees up the wiring near the audio pins, plus it makes for a more solid connection. Not the worse thing in the world, but it's more mechanically reliable that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've still not been able to get this to work without the warning on a 1st Gen iPhone. Can you confirm on the 1st Gen? It does line out, but gives me the warning. I've made several, if you can confirm that it works, then there's a revision issue or something else different between them.

68K works on my iPhone 2G 16GB. I'm not sure if you mean 1G or 2G because the 1G came in 4GB and 8GB while the 2G came in 8GB and 16GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back