Does anyone have experience with the Kef LS50?
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #31 of 267
Quote:
If you end up parting with the 685's, I'd be interested.

Don't think my parents kept the original boxes and I bet my dad would be really interested in these lol. So I doubt I can ship them.
That and I am getting the V800 DAC first :3.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #32 of 267
I auditioned them with a Luxman integrated amp last year. They were properly set up so the sound was excellent. I didn't try anything loud or demanding though, so I can't say anything about bass performance. My impression was of a KEF idea of a Harbeth. I honestly liked them better than the more expensive 7ES3s I tried and felt they were equally critically revealing of the quality of the source being used. The idea of not having to always be in the perfect position to get a stereo image was also appealing. I am tempted to get a pair, but then I'd have to consider an integrated and/or power amp, which is a PITA.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #35 of 267
Quote:
Don't think my parents kept the original boxes and I bet my dad would be really interested in these lol. So I doubt I can ship them.
That and I am getting the V800 DAC first :3.

If he refuses, I can do without the original boxes. 
biggrin.gif

I'm in no rush to buy the LS50's albeit ANY speaker right now so IF your family doesn't take it shoot me a PM. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #37 of 267
Do you already have an integrated amp?

Nope, but I will have to get one if I decide on getting the ls50s over the stealth 8s, I listened to the ls50s and was very impressed (with my limited experience with speakers XD) the soundstage was spectacularly large considering how small those speakers are!

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #38 of 267
I have recently got hold of the KF LS50's, after many wonderful years of listening to mostly classical music through now 15yr-old B&W D601's, powered by a R-811RDS Onkyo amp of the same vintage (soon to be replaced by a Rega Brio-R integrated amp and Rega Apollo-R cd player). The B&W's were mellow, "soft", even melancholic, forgiving - the LS50's are bright, "brilliant", unforgiving. For a while I missed the universally forgiving, sweet, tolerant, easy-to-listen-to musical sessions of my B&W's. But each time I have returned to them I quickly switched back again - I missed the brilliance, brutal transparency and wondrous separation of the KEF LS50's. After several weeks of not-quite-easy-listening with the LS50's, I finally thought to replace the old and cheap interconnects. That did the trick! The LS50's have finally emerged in all their glory and musicality too! As wonderful, as good and more as so many reviewers say they are. But they do expose problems with one's other components. and yes, do need a new amp and source....!-see above:):)

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #39 of 267
Quote:
I have recently got hold of the KF LS50's, after many wonderful years of listening to mostly classical music (mostlly lieder- Schubert, Schumann, Mahler; 60% not recent performances) through now 15 yr old B&W D601's, powered by a R-811RDS Onkyo amp of the same vintage (soon to be replaced by a NAD 326BEE?). The LS50 is, after the DM601, amazingly detailed, but at the price of not-so-easy listening.

My guess is that you're hearing the limits of your amp and/or source. Might be time for an upgrade. The NAD would be a good start...

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #40 of 267
It's very tempting to get the new Decware Tori as there is a 4-8 Ohm version of the amp that might be suited to these. Mind you, I liked their brutal honesty with the Luxman. I have no problems getting excellent results from digital. I'd be flying blind with the amp, but at least it offers some ability to tune it to the speakers, which might work.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #41 of 267
Quote:
 Mind you, I liked their brutal honesty with the Luxman.

Brutal honesty can get tiring after a while. (Axiom Audio and Thiel speakers can exhibit this quality as their tweeters are not very forgiving.) I generally prefer a sound that's non-fatiguing and musical... but there you go. The Decware amp looks nice. You might want to consider Rogue Audio too for reasonably priced tube gear. I've listened to their Tempest integrated (now discontinued) and it sounds great - very smooth and balanced. The Cronus Magnum seems to be well-regarded and is priced right around the Decware Tori. Their (new) Sphinx integrated combines an tube input stage with a Class D output stage and is a thousand less. However, a quick check on their website indicates they have no dealer in Japan, but ironically, one in Australia...

http://www.rogueaudio.com

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #42 of 267
I use the ls 50 with marantz pm ki pearl lite (8004 in USA) and I like very mutch their sound.
I had the opportunity to listen this speaker in my set up with the naim nait 5i.
I prefer these baby with the pearl lite amp by far.
Anyway the ls 50 are simply spectacular for the price.
Ciao

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #43 of 267
I have to agree, the KI pearl series from marantz is fantastic, detailed yet retains their characteristic sonic signature and is very easy to listen to. Has that warm laid back sound (or as I like to say, listening on a therapist chair)
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #45 of 267
Hey there. I was at the same place as you a while ago, searching for a similar speaker, within the same budget. I had a listen to the LS 50 and I was so amazed, I just had to bring that "sound" home. Actually, I did not even get to listening to the Qs and Rs!!! I made an unboxing video recently:

One other speaker I was considering was the Dynaudio 2/7, so maybe you may try that one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back