Does anyone have experience with the Kef LS50?
Dec 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #226 of 267
  Hey guys. I wasn't really sure where to put this because I am very new to headfi. A friend of mine has a lot of stereo equipment he was getting rid of. He gave me the LS50 speakers as a gift for a birthday of mine. He also gave me a ALO Continental Amp/Dac. I don't really listen to anything other then my AK240, what would I need in order to set up these speakers to be able to play it? Will this ALO Continental do anything for me or will I need to go buy something. I don't have the biggest budget cause i'm a university student so any help would be much appreciated!

First, I have to say, you have an extremely generous friend with good taste in gear.

Regarding an amp, if you are really on a tight budget, you might want to consider getting a Parasound Zamp v3 to drive the LS50s. At 45 wpc into 8 ohms, should be more than enough power for a desktop system in a small room played a sane levels. You can also upgrade in the future if you need more power by getting a second Zamp and run in a dual mono configuration which will give you 90 wpc into 8 ohms. It's a nice little amp that can often be found used for under $300.

Save up for a good sub and you'll have a great first system.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #227 of 267
  Hey guys. I wasn't really sure where to put this because I am very new to headfi. A friend of mine has a lot of stereo equipment he was getting rid of. He gave me the LS50 speakers as a gift for a birthday of mine. He also gave me a ALO Continental Amp/Dac. I don't really listen to anything other then my AK240, what would I need in order to set up these speakers to be able to play it? Will this ALO Continental do anything for me or will I need to go buy something. I don't have the biggest budget cause i'm a university student so any help would be much appreciated!

Perhaps looking into a system that offers wireless streaming so you don't need to spend so much on a separate source. 

Totem Acoustics is running a kickstarter program for their new Class D amplifier. Not sure how it will pair with the LS50s but Totem is generally known to produce some good gear. For what it offers, the kickstarter price is a great deal imo.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #228 of 267

The NAD 3020D is an amazing integrated amp as well for $349.00 new from certain retailers.   It offers a built in DAC and BT capability.  50 to 100 wpc.  I laughed because I usually don't like Class D amps- but it drove a pair of my 4 ohm speakers perfectly.  That's a tough drive...

I've owned other Class D stuff like the Peachtree Decco series and Bel Canto C5i.  Both cost substantially more.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #229 of 267
Hey I've just ordered the kef ls50 in the new black and blue colour. They should arrive in a week. They will be run with the following components :

Kef ls50
Parasound halo p5 pre amp.
Sony xa7es cd player
Jl audio fathom f113 sub
Clearaudio concept turntable running audiotechnica MC cartridge
Cambridge audio Azur 651p phono stage
Mark levinson 334 power amp

Pretty happy with the setup so far and also started my vinyl collection. I'm sick of digital music so this has rekindled my love with physical music.

My headphone collection is in the other room which Is LCD3F,HD800s, EL-8s,PM3 and a couple of others.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #230 of 267
Hey I've just ordered the kef ls50 in the new black and blue colour. They should arrive in a week. They will be run with the following components :

Kef ls50
Sony xa7es cd player
Jl audio fathom f113 sub

Pretty happy with the setup so far and also started my vinyl collection. I'm sick of digital music so this has rekindled my love with physical music.

My headphone collection is in the other room which Is LCD3F,HD800s, EL-8s,PM3 and a couple of others.

What a killer set up! It's always nice to hear the effort and passion people have for their systems. Please keep us posted with playback details.... Can't wait.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #231 of 267
What a killer set up! It's always nice to hear the effort and passion people have for their systems. Please keep us posted with playback details.... Can't wait.

Will do for sure. I wasn't planning on the fathom but I got it at a steal. It is the most ridiculous thing. It weighs something like 56kg. The power amp also weighs around 53kg.

I think the fathom will seriously fill any gaps in low down that the kefs can't fulfil.

The speakers should arrive in the next two weeks, same as the pre. Then I just have to cable it all up and run it in.

The room is not ideal, but I'm moving house early next year so it will have to do for now.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #232 of 267

Kef ls50
Sony xa7es cd player
Jl audio fathom f113 sub

Congrats! The LS50's are heavenly.

Definitely post pics when you get them, I want to see the nice blue/black colour.

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #233 of 267
Can someone confirm that the kef ls50 can use speaker cables terminated in spades?

I just tracked down a Damn nice set of speakers but it turns they run banana plugs or bare wire only :/

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #234 of 267
Can someone confirm that the kef ls50 can use speaker cables terminated in spades?

I just tracked down a Damn nice set of speakers but it turns they run banana plugs or bare wire only :/

They can accept spades, bananas or bare wire. The LS50's are excellent in the nearfield as I use them :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #236 of 267

They can accept spades, bananas or bare wire. The LS50's are excellent in the nearfield as I use them
smily_headphones1.gif

This is weird as I tweeted kef before and they said they can't accept spades, only banana plugs and bare wire?

It's academic anyway as I ended up with the Martin logan 60xt speakers.

Hmm, I think someone has their wires crossed, I'm running spades to mine. Unless they have changed the design since I got mine, but I doubt KEF would do that.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #237 of 267

Hmm, I think someone has their wires crossed, I'm running spades to mine. Unless they have changed the design since I got mine, but I doubt KEF would do that.

Yeah a bit weird.  They wrote word for word "sorry you cant use those cables, just bare wire or 4mm banana plugs only"

Oh well, not doubting you if you have it.  But yes they are sold out here and they are only getting new stock in March, plus the floorstanding Martin Logans sounded magnificent so im happy with my choice. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #238 of 267

Yeah a bit weird.  They wrote word for word "sorry you cant use those cables, just bare wire or 4mm banana plugs only"

Oh well, not doubting you if you have it.  But yes they are sold out here and they are only getting new stock in March, plus the floorstanding Martin Logans sounded magnificent so im happy with my choice. 

I have considered the bookshelf ML's as well, but not sure how well they would integrate in a nearfield, desktop s/u. I have not heard them, but I am intrigued by their folded ribbon tweeter.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #239 of 267

I have considered the bookshelf ML's as well, but not sure how well they would integrate in a nearfield, desktop s/u. I have not heard them, but I am intrigued by their folded ribbon tweeter.

The tweeter was amazing.  I auditioned the ML 35XT yesterday 

The high's were excellent on this.  The folded ribbon is much larger in the 60XT and the warmth and richness of the sound were obviously a lot better on the bigger speaker.  The little ones imaged very well.  i went with the 60XT however. 

Both the KEF and these are excellent speakers, however for me the ML had the sound i want, but i thought the KEF's looked a lot better. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #240 of 267

The tweeter was amazing.  I auditioned the ML 35XT yesterday 

The high's were excellent on this.  The folded ribbon is much larger in the 60XT and the warmth and richness of the sound were obviously a lot better on the bigger speaker.  The little ones imaged very well.  i went with the 60XT however. 

Both the KEF and these are excellent speakers, however for me the ML had the sound i want, but i thought the KEF's looked a lot better. 

Very nice rig you have there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back