If you hear newer bands

if you don't mind me asking, why would you wanna do that
eerilie.gif

May 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you don't mind me asking, why would you wanna do that
eerilie.gif

Cause someday the newer band will become an old one. I wish I would've been around when the Beatles or Zeppelin were newer bands. Yeah, you might have to filter out the crap, but such is life.

May 5, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on the music. Oddly enough, soul music absolutely has to have perfectly on beat drumming. A friend of mine played guitar for James Brown (happy birthday JB, by the way) and he told a story about during a practice the drummer was using a click track through his headphones and JB stopped and said he was off time and the drummer was like "I'm right on the click track." JB replied "lemme hear that thang!" and the listened and said it was mesed up. Everybody kind of looked at him like he was crazy. But he made the drummer take it into a tech and it was in fact slightly miscalibrated.

But back to my point, soul and funk absolutely require near perfectly on time rhythm or it loses its impact. Metal also sounds bad if it's "sloppy".

I think another aspect is that its not so much that we like to hear the mistakes, its that we like to know that the musician is pushing himself as far as he can go. If he was messing up simple things we'd just think he wasn't very good. Whereas we like it when it sounds like he just pulled something off that was barely within his capabilities and had a couple of small mistakes to prove it. I think that's what we like more than anything, to really feel like the musicians are trying their hardest to get the music out. We don't like music to be totally effortless.

Not black metal
smile_phones.gif

May 6, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Metal also sounds bad if it's "sloppy".

That's a matter of personal taste. I personally enjoy both flawless precision and sloppy playing in metal. "Sloppy" bands like Venom, Sarcofago, Darkthrone etc. have this certain organic charm to them - hearing awkward drumming and dead frets enhance the "raw" vibe IMO.

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 28
Yeah, I know this feeling. I keep looking for artists that sound 'alive' and Tom Waits is one if the really great examples when it comes to this. A while ago I stumbled upon a very interesting interview in which he said the following words about this subject:

"You have to make sure you're not recording the bone, and throwing away the meat. It's very easily done." - Tom Waits

Here's the whole interview for those who are interested. Oh, and if you don't know Waits, check this out if you want to.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
Absolutely! Basically too much programmed music, loops, etc and not enough "live" playing.

I totally agree.

Music feels so much better and human and intimate(?) when you can hear the instruments being played;
i.e. the finger touching the guitar strings, the soft noise that comes from pianos when the thing hits the strings, etc

most korean music is like loops, digital voice and programmed sound.. just sad

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 28
Richard Thompson's new "Dream Attic" ought to be interesting when it comes out later this month.  He did something a bit unusual these days: did a tour and recorded the live performances to assemble an album of new songs.

- Ed

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
Richard Thompson's new "Dream Attic" ought to be interesting when it comes out later this month.  He did something a bit unusual these days: did a tour and recorded the live performances to assemble an album of new songs.

- Ed

that's a pretty neil young approach.  interesting...
RT can do no wrong, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back