Does anyone else have trouble enjoying IEMs?
May 6, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teraflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought IE8 and while I really enjoy the sound now (130hr burn-in), I find myself really listening to the music. I mean analyzing every sound i hear. Not like Grado SR60s where I can just put on and rock out. I dunno, its different.

I used to do this with my Shure SE530's until I put the modified triple flanges on it. The treble came out from behind the curtain and began to shine. Now I can rock out again because the music sounds glorious. When you keep listening to every detail this usually means you are not completely satisfied with that earphone or headphone. Right now as I'm listening to my Shure SE530's I can't help but dance. The sound is coming from everywhere!!!! Make it stop!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!

May 6, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 19
I find myself analyzing alot of my music but it more because I can now :). That and this dang site is making me into an audiophile!!! Well as much as I can be an audiophile on my limited budget
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 19
For me , it's that I have a hard time forgetting that there's something inside my ear. It's like when I wore contacts. I stuck with contacts for about two years, never had an infection, etc., but it never got to be like glasses where I'd forget that I was wearing them. I can forget I'm wearing headphones, but never IEMs. That gets in the way of the enjoyment.

May 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me , it's that I have a hard time forgetting that there's something inside my ear. It's like when I wore contacts. I stuck with contacts for about two years, never had an infection, etc., but it never got to be like glasses where I'd forget that I was wearing them. I can forget I'm wearing headphones, but never IEMs. That gets in the way of the enjoyment.

Heh strangely, I'm the complete opposite of you! I can completely forget my IEMs are there, unless they have terrible fit and are uncomfortable but I absolutely cannot stand headphones for an extended duration. I hate the way it presses on my head, and I hate the weight of the wires too cause they tend to be longer and thicker?

And on topic @OP, I kinda know what you mean but I kinda have the least analytical IEMs ever (FutureSonic Atrio) but I find the music really intrusive and distracting into my thoughts if I'm trying to do something else, like work for example. Never really owned headphones though, although I borrowed my friend's one for an extended duration and decided headphones aren't for me.

May 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh strangely, I'm the complete opposite of you! I can completely forget my IEMs are there, unless they have terrible fit and are uncomfortable but I absolutely cannot stand headphones for an extended duration. I hate the way it presses on my head, and I hate the weight of the wires too cause they tend to be longer and thicker?

And on topic @OP, I kinda know what you mean but I kinda have the least analytical IEMs ever (FutureSonic Atrio) but I find the music really intrusive and distracting into my thoughts if I'm trying to do something else, like work for example. Never really owned headphones though, although I borrowed my friend's one for an extended duration and decided headphones aren't for me.

I'm the opposite with work. I focus on work significantly better if I'm listening to music. The more involving the music is, the better I can focus (trance seems to be the best, Pink Floyd the other best).

I haven't gotten used to IEM's yet. I'm using marshmallows with Comply tips. They aren't uncomfortable, but the "full" feeling in my ears is distracting. The most comfortable headphones I ever used were Sennheiser HD485's, because of their open air feel. But I started wearing glasses, and they push against the frames.

I'm getting Klipsch X10's and then custom tips, both for an attempt at comfort and immersion.

May 7, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 19
I kinda feel more fun when I use the headphone cuz they literally provide more air and dynamic feeling to me and when comes to the IEM's there are more analytic details sometimes or, supposed to be you know, which makes me got a totally different way of listenning experience. But anyway it really depends on what I'm using.

May 7, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 19
There is one critical component that have now made me sway bit more into full size headphone side of things, and that's the soundstage, which is something no IEM will ever outperform a fullsize in (unless it's IE8 or something, I wouldn't know). And since I got soundstage beasts in K701 and AD700, no IEM's going to come even close. But even then, IEM's have their own qualities that has me coming back.

May 7, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is one critical component that have now made me sway bit more into full size headphone side of things, and that's the soundstage, which is something no IEM will ever outperform a fullsize in (unless it's IE8 or something, I wouldn't know). And since I got soundstage beasts in K701 and AD700, no IEM's going to come even close. But even then, IEM's have their own qualities that has me coming back.

Agreed, though a lot of IEM's have good soundstage but, they are different fundamentally with the headphone so I seldom compare the IEM's with the full-side headphone in terms of soundstage.

May 7, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illidan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, though a lot of IEM's have good soundstage but, they are different fundamentally with the headphone so I seldom compare the IEM's with the full-side headphone in terms of soundstage.

True. SS comparison will never be fair between those two different types. Still a legimate reason for some to prefer full size over IEM's because of that factor, though. It's a totally different experience.

May 7, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #13 of 19
Full sized headphone
  1. Wider Soundstage.
  2. More natural sound if it is an open type headphone.

IEM's
  1. More details can be heard in the song due to increase isolation.
  2. More isolation.

May 7, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 19
For me the order of preference is:

live music > hi res surround source > regular CDs over stereo > car stereo on the highway > over the ear headphones on a run > custom molds for IEMs on a plane > over the ear headphones at the gym (too much noise) > iems in bed before hitting the sack

I find IEMs, as stated before by others, allow me to become hypercritical. Also, can't fully zone out due to lack of comfort.

May 7, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Full sized headphone
  1. Wider Soundstage.
  2. More natural sound if it is an open type headphone.

IEM's
  1. More details can be heard in the song due to increase isolation.
  2. More isolation.

Good Summary, agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back