Does anybody else hate stand-up comedy?
Oct 8, 2008 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sitting here listening to some Children of Bodom (completely unrelated), and my roommate is listening to some Mitch Hedburg stand-up comedy. I don't know exactly why, but after a few minutes of it, I get damned annnoyed by it and I feel like taking his laptop and throwing it across the room. I feel that way for most stand-up comedy, and it includes greats like the late George Carlin.

I understand the impressive part with them being able to analyze and put a spin on everyday things, and we see them in perhaps a new light (aka George Carlin speaking on the differences between baseball and football). But I'm watching and/or hearing people almost freakin' CRY with laughter over some of the stuff. I don't get it, it's not that funny, or funny at all (to me, obviously). I just overheard the late Mitch Hedburg talk about something of a duck walking into a store and taking bread. I thought that was amusing, until he said something along the lines of him being okay with it, and he rambled on with how he'd let the duck take the Pepperidge Farm bread next time. Okaaaay, so what? Are we supposed to form a constant image off of what he says and imagine a duck just clearing out the bread department? (See, that was funny in my mind right there, but I think this leads into my next point.).

I think my greatest annoyance with these people (don't get me started on Dane Cook) is how they say it like EVERYTHING that comes out of their mouth is a hoot, and people just clamor for the next thing they say like mindless animals. It especially unnerved me today when I was the only one in my film class who barely cracked a smile during a George Carlin hearing, and everybody around me was snickering every few seconds.

I do like stuff like Monty Python, and just random slapstick humor in movies in general. I'm thinking that perhaps the fact that I grew up not a very vocal person (I barely talked in middle school) could have impaired me from being able to connect well with vocal-driven comedy?

If you guys can help me understand why I don't seem to have a funny bone for stand-up comedy, that'd be great. Because I'm tired of forcing myself to laugh all the time.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 27
Alot of it has to do with mood. I cracked up listening to a Robert Klein record the other day. Then two weeks later listened to it completely stonefaced. Most of those audiences get dressed, go out for night, have a couple drinks and are READY to laugh. That's why many comedians get far more laughs than they deserve. I don't like most modern standups, but a storyteller like Bill Cosby in his prime was wonderful to me. I admire Steven Wright's brillance, among the modern guys. But I almost never watch standups on TV these days, they annoy me, too.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 27
I didn't know those guys. They tell funny facts but they're simply not funny, especially Dane Cook (omg how un-funny can someone be ?). They're not funnier than your uncle telling jokes at a family reunion...
I love stand up but the performer has to have something funny in him, you know the way he/her talks, behaves... The best I've seen so far is Dave Chapelle :)

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alot of it has to do with mood. I cracked up listening to a Robert Klein record the other day. Then two weeks later listened to it completely stonefaced. Most of those audiences get dressed, go out for night, have a couple drinks and are READY to laugh.

x2. Stand up comedy is much funnier when its live because of that.

This applies to most standup, except for Dane Cook.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 27
I don't really like stand-up comedy as well. But then again, I must be mad. I don't like Family Guy.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, you aren't alone.

And then there were three...
biggrin.gif

Stand-up comedy often relies on the same tired drivel (anyone who saw Chris Rock's last HBO special will understand, never laughed at a single thing Rock ever said anyway and certainly don't understand his mega popularity, he sucks) because most people simply aren't funny (acting like an idiot is not funny, btw). If it isn't unfunny racial material, it's unfunny sex material. Throw in as many obscenities as you possibly can into your "set", and you are "funny". Of course, it always help when the majority of the crowd is blasted drunk and couldn't even tell you what they were laughing at in the first place.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Stand up comedy is much funnier when its live because of that.

I agree. Gabriel Iglesia was even funnier in person.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 27
Glad I'm not the only one disliking Family Guy. I mean, I like South Park and the Simpsons but Family Guy.. Is just not funny.
BTW, with stand-up comedy.. It's not like they are all sucky-sucky-long-time. I like this quite a bit.
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 27
I think that stand up comedians get overblown. People hear a couple funny angles/stories from a comedian and they want to like the rest of their work, and when that comedian becomes popular the hype factor manifests an ugly exaggeration. This is especially true for folks like Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia and Larry the Cable Guy (all of whom make my head ache).

Having said that I've found great enjoyment listening to stand up, it's a matter of finding the right comedians. Mitch Hedburg isn't as brilliant as people want to believe but some of his commentary is funny. Dave Chappelle and Jerry Seinfeld made some hilarious stand up.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really like stand-up comedy as well. But then again, I must be mad. I don't like Family Guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, you aren't alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then there were three...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad I'm not the only one disliking Family Guy. I mean, I like South Park and the Simpsons but Family Guy.. Is just not funny.

I too hated Family Guy for the longest time. But I had the chance to borrow all six seasons (and watch the current Season Seven episodes), and they're worth short spans of watching, esp. when you have nothing better to do and just want to zone out to something. If anything, what really bugs me about Family Guy are the fans of it. I mean, people repeating their lines for the hell of it and wearing Stewie Griffin shirts really bugged the **** out of me in high school. I also really hate the way they portray the beating of women (verbal and physical) to be okay, but I digress.
mad.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 27
I don't like stand up comedy either, In fact I don't like most things, family guy was one of them until I got used to all the randomness.

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...(anyone who saw Chris Rock's last HBO special will understand, never laughed at a single thing Rock ever said anyway and certainly don't understand his mega popularity, he sucks)

You talking about Kill The Messenger?

That was awesome!

confused.gif

EK

EDIT: I also love Family Guy and South Park, but never liked The Simpsons...

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my greatest annoyance with these people (don't get me started on Dane Cook) is how they say it like EVERYTHING that comes out of their mouth is a hoot, and people just clamor for the next thing they say like mindless animals.

I also find this annoying. There is no way, everything they say is funny.

Another thing I hate are those sitcoms, where they insert the audience laughter. Its like they are telling you that a joke was just made.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything, what really bugs me about Family Guy are the fans of it. I mean, people repeating their lines for the hell of it and wearing Stewie Griffin shirts really bugged the **** out of me in high school

WHAT?!?! OKAY!

Seriously, that's what (primarily) killed Chapelle. I'd have gone into hiding if I had that many pants-on-head...moronic fans.

But to get back on topic, I've seen a few stand-up comedians/routines that made me laugh, but they really are few and far between. I liked Chris Rock years ago, but in small doses. Same goes for Russel Peters. However, I still find Lewis Black funny, and the occasional person on "Comedy Now!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back