Does anybody else hate stand-up comedy?
Oct 8, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 27
As others have mentioned, it is better live or is relative to ones' mood I suppose.

I was just saying the other day, there has not been some really good stand up comedy acts for some time. I agree also that some of even the best acts I like pieces and parts of, or in small doses.

Some acts I think are truly humerous and therefore timeless, (perhaps pending my preferences I know) are as follows:

Bill Cosby
John Pinette
Dana Carvey
Steven Wright
Gallagher
Steve Martin
Dave Chappelle
Robin Williams
Harland Williams

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You talking about Kill The Messenger?

That was awesome!

confused.gif

EK

EDIT: I also love Family Guy and South Park, but never liked The Simpsons...

Doh!

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #18 of 27
I also agree that how funny a standup routine is depends greatly on how prepared an audience is to laugh. I've caught myself laughing at comedians such as Dane Cook who I really do hate. Nevertheless, even if I'm not in the mood to laugh, I find most Jerry Seinfeld and Demetri Martin routines amusing and thoroughly enjoyable even if I'm not laughing out loud.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 27
Dane Cook is not a comedian.

I have a sharp sense of humor, and he is not funny in the least.

Some people just don't appreciate (laugh) at some very funny jokes, although they understand the jokes. I showed my cousin Arrested Development, and he didn't find it funny. And I would suspect most people who what The Office (US) wouldn't appreciate the UK version. It's a shame, reall

Oct 9, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 27
There are very few stand up comics that I really dig,you can really tell some of them are just trying to grab out at anything they can reach for laughs. I always dig Robin Williams' stuff because he always gets so into his routines and there really is a reason why he consumes so many bottles of waters during his routine.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You talking about Kill The Messenger?

That was awesome!

confused.gif

EK

EDIT: I also love Family Guy and South Park, but never liked The Simpsons...

Yes, I'm talking about Kill The Messenger. Chris Rock is a complete hack who relies on nothing more than retread racial jokes, that still aren't funny and never will be.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 27
I don't!
Hate is a very strong word. So even if I don't enjoy stand-up a lot, I certainly don't hate it..

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #23 of 27
I absolutely love stand-up comedy. I don't see why you wouldn't to be honest..
confused.gif

If you start watching a special/routine in the middle of it you won't enjoy it. Watch that Mitch Hedberg special from the start and you may like it.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of stand-up comedy is bad, but lots is really good. Children of Bodom fans don't really strike me as comedic people to begin with, though.

True enough. Saying "stand-up comedy is bad" is liks saying "music is bad".

There are some fantastic stand-up comics working today. My current favourite is Stephen K Amos. Check out the "Live at the Apollo" series on the BBC. Hilarity...

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #26 of 27
I can understand the appeal of stand up comedy especially when you are going out for the evening and it's recreational time like a holiday weekend.

But in most cases, stand up comedy is pretty bad. Some of it is very good but it's very rare. 99.99 percent of it is not that good and the ones that you see on TV is mostly bad. I have a rare CD of a rare stand up act of Woody Allen from his early days of his career in the 60's and I do cherish it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back