Does a player exist with HiFiMan quality without the built-in amp?
May 11, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #76 of 92
I would wait and see what the next iPhone OS 4.0 software offers. There is hope that this will offer digital audio out through an adapter with the iPhone and Touch. The iPad currently does this so cross your fingers for those who don't mind carrying a dap and usb dac/amp around. 

May 11, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #78 of 92

Quote:
Could you 2 please continue this insulting match via pm, neither are contributing much of value to this thread now

Once again apologies to the OP and you, if you followed the posts it’s clear he started it both here in this thread and the other.

May 11, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #79 of 92
Also keep in mind that the OP - and me - both have far larger budgets than a clip or the S:Flo - we're actually trying to get close to Hifiman region with something around the range of 400-500 dollars - basically we want a hifiman without an amp and is actually usable (I may be speaking too much for the OP but I'm sure this is around what he's thinking). Think about it - if this was in an IEM or headphone thread and the OP posted he had a budget of 500 - would you recommend a budget 30 dollar headphone? Now let's try to do the same here haha. I mean honestly, I'd rather hear about Sony or Alexmod or stuff like that.. but actually I'm just looking for an obscure name that has a very nice DAC and I have never heard about but other people have!) :D

May 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #80 of 92
A new DAP from Little Dot is also in the making. It is speculated to have a good dac inside (WM8740) and has swappable amp modules as well for well under 400$. Lets hope it turns out to be a good competitor to Hifiman, at a lower price. This market segment is beginning to get even more interesting now.

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491037/new-portable-player-dp-i-from-little-dot

May 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #81 of 92

Quote:
Also keep in mind that the OP - and me - both have far larger budgets than a clip or the S:Flo - we're actually trying to get close to Hifiman region with something around the range of 400-500 dollars - basically we want a hifiman without an amp and is actually usable (I may be speaking too much for the OP but I'm sure this is around what he's thinking). Think about it - if this was in an IEM or headphone thread and the OP posted he had a budget of 500 - would you recommend a budget 30 dollar headphone? Now let's try to do the same here haha. I mean honestly, I'd rather hear about Sony or Alexmod or stuff like that.. but actually I'm just looking for an obscure name that has a very nice DAC and I have never heard about but other people have!) :D

Thanks  (  : 

You nailed it for me.  I am contemplating the purchase of the HiFiMan to use in-place of The Protector and my desktop DAC.  I was hoping to keep my current equipment and purchase a DAP that costs less than the HiFiMan.  I can afford the HiFiMan but this hobby has gotten a tad out of control for me already.  Oops!  Buying the HiFiMan would be crazy...sort of.

May 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #82 of 92
I just ordered a QLS QA-350, which looks to have potential though it may be less than practical in a number of ways. It might fit the OP's needs, but the tradeoffs are poor file format support, a very basic UI, and a reliance on small SD cards.

That being said, it uses a WM8740 DAC with a well thought-out surrounding circuit and even a decent headphone amp chip (the same chip is in the Sony D-50). If anyone is interested, I'll post impressions when it arrives.

May 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #83 of 92

Quote:
A new DAP from Little Dot is also in the making. It is speculated to have a good dac inside (WM8740) and has swappable amp modules as well for well under 400$. Lets hope it turns out to be a good competitor to Hifiman, at a lower price. This market segment is beginning to get even more interesting now.

Source: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/491037/new-portable-player-dp-i-from-little-dot

It won't, Burr Brown PCM1074UK DAC >>> Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

May 14, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #84 of 92
Is a burr brown chip that expensive? I don't see why "audiophile" companies can't just make a player with this dac and a line/headphone out without a touch screen or video playing? People would jump on this + a pico/ttvj/arrow combo much faster than hifiman.....

Quote:
It won't, Burr Brown PCM1074UK DAC >>> Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

May 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #86 of 92

Quote:

Because the DAC chip is more important than the analog output stage, right? Not to mention the hifiman is total rubbish if the DFKT test is anything to go by (it is)

Yes, keep believing these tests can actually measure sound quality. It's like judging a speaker by it's frequency response alone. Anyways, the HiFiMAN completely blows away everything else that produces sound in my house. It's my all around device. I love it, worth every penny!
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #87 of 92

Quote:

Yes, keep believing these tests can actually measure sound quality. It's like judging a speaker by it's frequency response alone. Anyways, the HiFiMAN completely blows away everything else that produces sound in my house. It's my all around device. I love it, worth every penny!
biggrin.gif

Myself and several others were able to distinguish it from the flac, but not the sansa clip.

The Hifiman sounded worse. Go away.

May 14, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #88 of 92

Quote:

Myself and several others were able to distinguish it from the flac, but not the sansa clip.

The Hifiman sounded worse. Go away.

That test is flawed in so many ways. So you're saying every reputable Hi-Fi reviewer is wrong when they label the HiFiMAN as the best sounding DAP? Also, Jude, the founder of Head-Fi is also going crazy? Everyone who paid the $800 for this device which ALSO has a 30 day money back guarantee has kept the device after 30 days. What does that have to say? It sounds damn good and is worth the money to me and the others who kept it. You, go away and stop trolling your nonsense. It's okay, you can't afford the HiFiMAN.
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #89 of 92
Quote:
That test is flawed in so many ways. So you're saying every reputable Hi-Fi reviewer is wrong when they label the HiFiMAN as the best sounding DAP? Also, Jude, the founder of Head-Fi is also going crazy? Everyone who paid the $800 for this device which ALSO has a 30 day money back guarantee has kept the device after 30 days. What does that have to say? It sounds damn good and is worth the money to me and the others who kept it. You, go away and stop trolling your nonsense. It's okay, you can't afford the HiFiMAN.
biggrin.gif

I can afford the hifiman. I can also go demo one for excessive numbers of hours for free (as head-directs australian dealer is just down the road from me). You're a terrible troll.

The test is accurate from a relative perspective. The effects of driving a headphone arent evident, but it's plainly obvious that the performance of the hifiman is below what it should be.

Sorry you wasted so much money.

May 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #90 of 92
Quote:

I can afford the hifiman. I can also go demo one for excessive numbers of hours for free (as head-directs australian dealer is just down the road from me). You're a terrible troll.

The test is accurate from a relative perspective. The effects of driving a headphone arent evident, but it's plainly obvious that the performance of the hifiman is below what it should be.

Sorry you wasted so much money.

I didn't waste a penny. I hear a huge sound quality increase over my iPod Touch, Zune, computer, etc...I didn't even have to concentrate to hear the micro details. It was a flat out sound quality improvement that is immediately noticeable. So if this test is soo accurate how come we don't just run these test on all expensive gear and listen to it through cheaper gear. It'll be the same as owning it!!!

Yea, your stupidity amazes me.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back