Does a LOD cable need burn in?
Jul 22, 2009 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

oldskoolboarder

100+ Head-Fier
Note to moderators: If this thread goes off the deep end into flame war territory, you have my blessing to close and/or delete it.

I have a simple question, does an iPod LOD cable need burn in? It was suggested by a friend that a new LOD cable needed 100 hours for burn in. From my limited knowledge of the iPod dock spec on Wikipedia, personal DIY on a few Minty Boost USB chargers (highly recommended), etc., the only 'components' inside a LOD are resistors to pull up/down some of the signals. These pull ups/downs can change from iPod generation to generation. If my assumptions are correct, then what effect would that burn in create? Or maybe my assumptions are wrong.

For background, I'm an engineer. I've worked with RF identification design and testing. I sell Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n silicon along w/ high speed CPUs. I'm well aware of circuit design. I know all too well that something as simple as a power filter circuit with an incorrect capacitor value can create enough jitter to generate packet errors and effect a USB eye pattern. I get that. I have tube amps that I know require burn in, and I've heard the difference. I used think headphone/speaker burn in was nonsense, until I realized that yes there's a physical component of a moving diaphragm that may change quality over time. That I can hear as well. I also did a burn in of my iBasso D10 recently and was skeptical but now realize that the caps do have some effect over time.

I should also note that I'm not a big believer in cable burn in. I have access to all kinds of spectrum analyzers, sig gens, scopes, network analyzers etc. I'm sure different cables, over different periods of time, may have different graphs. But more than likely, my old man hearing can't hear those differences. In the end, it only matters to me if I can hear the difference, ignorance be damned.

But this is a LOD cable. What part of the design benefits from the burn in?

Thanks all.

BTW, for reference:
http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 25
You asked for it... nothing

Just plug in and enjoy. No need to get all fussy with Burn-in religiousness. If it changes over time... fantastic. It doesn't "need" it, no matter who responds.

Dec 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 25
The whole idea of cable burn-in is pretty controversial. It could be that it's actually your brain that's burning in, i.e. getting used to a new sound signature/the expectation that the cable will improve over time. Things with capacitors tend to actually require burn in. Most iPod LODs don't even have resistors in them, the only use for resistors is to prevent the warning message on the iPhone when you plug in an LOD.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 25
I have an old LOD cable and the sound is bright and the high frequency is clean and crisp. However, the cable is too long. Therefore, I have to order another new pair of LOD cable.

Finally, I was just received my new LOD cable at yesterday. The new LOD cable is shorter than my old one. When I plug in the cable and listen, the sound is blur. The new cable is made by Ohno Continuous Cast Copper which should has lesser distortion and has better sound than my existing Oxygen Free Copper LOD cable.

The seller mentions that cable is delivering warm sound and has really clean sound. Yes, the sound is clean but too warm when my first listen. It almost sound too blurs and I almost can't hear any high frequency. I only can hear the low and mid frequency during that moment.

I compare that new cable with my old cable. I definitely consider my old cable has a better sound as it has brighter sound by comparing to my new LOD cable. Since my old cable has used almost 3 weeks.

I was tried to burn-in my new LOD cable at last night. When I wake up this morning and listen once again, the high frequency did improve and the sound is brighter compare to last night. However, the sound is still inferior to my old LOD cable. The sound is not as nature as my old LOD cable.

Therefore, I will continue to burn-in my LOD cable for at least 300 hours.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 25
Lol 300 hours, epic overkill. It's probably just your mind. As said, there are no moving parts, it's just your mind playing tricks on you.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol 300 hours, epic overkill. It's probably just your mind. As said, there are no moving parts, it's just your mind playing tricks on you.

Its impossible a mentally effect because I am now comparing both the new and old cables. While this morning, my new LOD cable really have brighter sound. There has not necessary for me to trick myself because the sound really bad when my first listen at yesterday. Do you know, I am so disappointed at yesterday?

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 25
You're adjusting to each of their sounds and prefer one to the other
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by junclj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its impossible a mentally effect because I am now comparing both the new and old cables. While this morning, my new LOD cable really have brighter sound. There has not necessary for me to trick myself because the sound really bad when my first listen at yesterday. Do you know, I am so disappointed at yesterday?

Your hearing and perception of sound changes daily. I have days where my rig sounds amazing to me and days where it sounds flat and lifeless. It's quite possible that it's just your hearing naturally fluctuating. There is nothing that will change in a cable to make it sound different when more current has been put through it. It's just a whole bunch of atoms stuck together with free valance electrons. Moving the electrons around doesn't change anything.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #14 of 25
Plug in, press play, adjust volume.

Life is too short for this 300 hours LOD burn in / 1000 hours portable amp capacitor burn in / 2000 hours for K701 bass burn in / other head-fi myth bs.

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 25
I burn in everything all together for 200 hours when I get it. After that, straight to listening and enjoying the music. I don't burn in any cables separately etc because it's not going to affect it's sound quality. If burn in is really real, headphones have top priority, then amp. The other components...well, IMO a waste of time really. I always burn in headphones though, not too concerned about anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back