Does a boutique-ey IEC cable bennefit the DPS?
Jun 5, 2009 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

G-Con

New Head-Fier
I know premium IEC cables with the width of a Boa Constrictor does make a substantial improvement when using it between outlet and source/amp/dac etc. but I was wondering if that remains true for the DPS.

The function of the DPS is to output clean, stable power. Adding a premium IEC cable appears to me to become redundant because anything the cable would have filtered out gets filtered out by the DPS anyway!

Any ideas? Has anyone actually tried a nice IEC cable with the DPS to hear if it makes a difference?

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 17
Sounds like you have a firm grasp on the value of power cables
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 17
Make sure any power cord you use is approved by UL. If it isn't, be sure to ask the manufacturer why and if they have taken any steps towards UL approval.

Don't use an unsafe power cord.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 17
It's already challenging to hear the DPS difference. Appreciating the difference in power cord for the DPS should be even more interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful, you might catch upgradeittus. I caught it several years ago.

Who are you referring to? Me?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 17
Spooky!
I just had a chance to use my friends hi-end power cords made by NAIM with my DPS and I was happy with the results. Was it as impressive as the differences between headphones or amps or even interconnects? No, but it was a improvement. And if I had the money, I would uograde,
Kevin

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you have a firm grasp on the value of power cables
smily_headphones1.gif

nod.gif

I've heard power cables make a significant difference, but mostly in big speaker power amps. Headphone amps draw so little current and have so much filtering that it's likely not to be worth the dough.

"Buy music instead" is very often the higher value answer.

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nod.gif

I've heard power cables make a significant difference, but mostly in big speaker power amps. Headphone amps draw so little current and have so much filtering that it's likely not to be worth the dough.

"Buy music instead" is very often the higher value answer.

Indeed. With the DPS and my ultramicro stack, I couldn't be more uninterested in a power cord change.
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 17
Aimlink,
I'm contemplating upgrading to the DPS from the astrodynes for my ultra microstack. What kind of differences do you notice with the DPS vs. the astrodynes? Is it worth the upgrade?
Thanks,
Tom

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aimlink,
I'm contemplating upgrading to the DPS from the astrodynes for my ultra microstack. What kind of differences do you notice with the DPS vs. the astrodynes? Is it worth the upgrade?
Thanks,
Tom

Let's say that it depends on your wallet since IMO, there's no improvement for most that I listen to. I have to listen to my high definition music to hear a difference which is subtle enough to make me wonder if my ears are playing tricks.

However, I'd not have relaxed unless I'd tried it, and as grawk says, it's a way more convenient power source that the two Astrodynes. Not to mention the comfort/reassurance that my ultramicro stack is delivering its best sound. Maybe I need better cans than my HD650's to better appreciate the difference. However, I'll not be making a change to explore that specific possibility! I'm definitely within the realms of rapidly diminishing returns and I need better trained ears before I make any further steps into audiophiledom in terms of improving my source setup.

I'll see how I get on with the Denon AH-D5000's. I'll do that for a while before venturing into the world of >$1K cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back