Do your friends understand your obsession with audio?
Jan 7, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #61 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by sahwnfras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isnt Airsoft just the kid friendly version of paintball?

Not at all. If anything it's a more adult version of it. The guns look damn real, and fire very fast. If you've never been hit with a 5 round burst up the back, well lets just say it hurts like hell.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #63 of 74
My friends think I spend too much on audio gear - especially since I live on basically nothing - but they get that they're nice headphones. When I bought my gf a pair of AKG K701's, they thought that suited her personality and snobbiness. When I upgraded from Koss Pro4AA's to Senn HD280s to Beyer 770s, temporarily downgraded to sony MDR XB700s and then bought my D2000's, they ask...

are you a little obsessed? Seriously.

I plead the fifth. Mayyyyybe...

And yet, I really don't consider myself an audiophile. I love music, and I DO love sound - but not the way audiophiles do. I just listened to a sine wave and heard it waver loud and soft and shrugged - and you know why? Because my Denons are awesome, and I can listen to Janie's Got a Gun and just be HAPPY about everything. Or some Bjork. Or Placebo. Or VNV Nation. Or Peter Gabriel. Jethro Tull. Yo-Yo Ma playing Bach. and it just makes everything better. I'm dealing with a massive amount of white noise coming out of the sound card port on this Turtle Beach Riviera 5.1. I don't have an amp larger than a FiiO E5, and a CMOY which I've managed to destroy my work on. I haven't Markl modded my Denons (though I may! Is that worth it?) and I still say

The journey was worth every step. I love my sound.

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #64 of 74
No they don't. They really don't get why I'd buy $60 IEMs when they say that "the Apple earbuds work fine..." pfffttt.... My parents don't really care about my audio obsession, as long as I buy all my gear with my money.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, but I do not care.
They have their hobbies on which they spend more or less the same amount of money. That usually shut their mouth.

x2

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #66 of 74
No one really understands. My now deceased Dad would have.

My rig at work is now known by my colleagues, but I do recall how amused they were that I'd wish to use an amp with headphones when a regular headphone output was already so loud.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #67 of 74
Why is deadly55's pig running away from FlyingInABlueDream's avatar?

lol

If you look....flying' has a spectrum analyzer led display, and 55' has a pig running away from a spectrum display. I just found it funny that he posted right after him in this thread with the same spectrum display in the backround.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #68 of 74
I have one friend who does (I think), but the rest don't know.
My brother and father seem to get it. Most females I am associated with it have no idea, but they go through phones faster than anything I have seen and then stash it in the drawer (which hurts the environment).

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #69 of 74
actually, yes. and i've gotten several addicted as well, lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, the question is which gun. AK-47? M-16? Mac-10? SCAR-L? MP-40? He collects Airsoft with the same dedication I buy audio gear with.

What's the problem, then? He has his obsession, you have yours. You both don't understand each others' addiction and that's fine. He's no less for not understanding your headphone obsession as long as you don't understand his gun obsession.

Well, of course he's inferior, as an obsession with guns is just plain wrong. People shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. It's pretty stupid, really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually, yes. and i've gotten several addicted as well, lol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Man, that's great!
atsmile.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #71 of 74
right now my mom somehow understood my audio addiction, she even encourage me
to buy a Sony X, too bad not available in my place yet
frown.gif
i just bought a Sony S544
and i love it, i saved $220 for getting this, and still have fund for amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #72 of 74
When it comes to my parents I think my dad understands because I seem to do a half decent job explaining to him why I need to spend x amount of money on a certain piece of equipment. I think he appreciates that I just don't give the whole "because I...just need it." sort of explanation. He's listened to my rig before and has come away quite impressed and always seems to be quite happy when I set up his car audio systems in his cars. He's good about it.

Nobody at school actively derides me about my hobby,a lot of them don't understand it and sort of look at it with a great deal of mystery but I think they respect it. From what I can tell it seems like that although they do not understand it they realize that it brings me a lot of joy and they consider that aspect positive. I've had some of them listen to my rig and come away impressed so I think they at least understand what I'm trying to get at.

It helps that I have a lot of hobbies and that high end audio is not my only one. I try to spread my spending money over quite a few hobbies and I think that balance is key to both enjoying life to the fullest and also reducing the strange looks and head scratching from others.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #73 of 74
The fewer of my friends who know about my audio hobby, the better. Other than my audio hobby friends, of course.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #74 of 74
My brother came to visit this weekend. When he saw that I had more then 1 headphone he looked at me as if I was dumb. When I said I had 4 he looked as me if I was dumb and lol:ed. When I told him my edition 8 cost 200$ (Yes he was dumb enough to buy that) he wanted to put me into a mental hospital pretty much for buying such.

He wondered what I used them for too? Eeeeh listening to music, movies etc?
The guy doesn´t even have a stereo at home anymore though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back