do you use EQ?
Mar 1, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #31 of 233
a no from me!
but if you prefer your music EQ'd then no one should criticise!

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 233
i have an iaudio 7 and have tried all the effects... i prefer my music to be represented in the most natural way possible so i leave them all off...
of course, a lot of people want a part of the frequency spectrum boosted because that's what they want to hear... for me, effects either renders music artificial or gives it too warm of a sound which is fatiguing (BBE, MP Enhance)...

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #35 of 233
This is the way I see it. It makes sense to me. If you have to EQ a headphone, that means you are basically boosting some quality of music, whether it be bass, mids, highs, or treble. When you have to "boost" one of these, than that means that you don't fully enjoy what the headphones sound like "stock". The hole that I find in this theory, is for songs that just aren't produced well, but then again, most of you who spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars on headphones, don't listen to too much music that is poorly recorded.

Mar 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the way I see it. It makes sense to me. If you have to EQ a headphone, that means you are basically boosting some quality of music, whether it be bass, mids, highs, or treble. When you have to "boost" one of these, than that means that you don't fully enjoy what the headphones sound like "stock". The hole that I find in this theory, is for songs that just aren't produced well, but then again, most of you who spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars on headphones, don't listen to too much music that is poorly recorded.

You got it right for me, pez.

Mar 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #37 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have several CDs where I was there, and where I was the artist. I wasn't the engineer, but I was the producer and directed the engineer and made decisions regarding how these recordings would sound. I know how these recordings sounded in the studio control room when we were recording, mixing and mastering them.

Even if someone had a perfectly neutral playback system, these recordings still wouldn't sound exactly the way that I produced them because different rooms have different characteristics. And it wasn't my expectation when sitting in the control room that listeners would hear exactly what I was hearing at the moment. The best that I can do as a producer is to make a recording that sounds good when played back on a wide variety of systems. So if a listener uses EQ on my CDs to compensate for issues with his playback system, compensate for room issues, or even just to make his listening more enjoyable, I have no problem with that.

I'm also in the same position, and agree completely... 20+ CDs of my own music plus music for stage, TV, film. There's no way to predict how your music will eventually be heard, you just take the best shot.

IMHO people involved in producing music tend to be less precious about it's playback... really the music is there to be enjoyed by the listener, so if EQ helps that, absolutely fine with me!

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #39 of 233
I would EQ if I could be sure of 2 things:

1. The actual frequesncy response of the system as a whole, at my eardrum, relative to a "flat" response.

2. Any equalization will correct that response, and have absolutely no other affects.

Neither seems possible.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #40 of 233
Sound Engineers don't necessarily always get it exactly right, and some CDs are quite poor, not to mention MP3s etc. So I'm an unashamed EQ tweaker - for portable equipment at least, usually turning the lowest bass frequency a bit and the upper treble a little bit more. On the home system flat/direct is usually the order of the day.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #41 of 233
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never!

A: You should but gear that sounds right to you in the first place and not try to fix it after the fact.

B: A recording is what it is the way the artist thought it should sound.
Would you buy a painting and then bust out the crayons because you think it needs more color? Of course you could, but it's not what the artist intended.

OTOH, there are some deaf artists/engineers out there who's output sounds like crap (Amy W.) and using EQ usually makes it sound different but not necessarily better.

A: That's right, but read on...

B: That's crap!
Every artist would want his recording sound as good as possible.
Why some doesn't sound all that good is something else...
Many different reasons for that...

There are enough artists out there who don't interfere all that much with how the sq will be on the record.
Why?
I don't know, ask them!

And there are (still) engineers who use crap equipment to get the sounds they get...

But I believe either one of them wouldn't mind the recording sounding great!

In hifi eq is concidered something the devil invented, but in the recording studio's it's used extensively imo.
I think it has it's place, sometimes...
With bad recordings...

But still, I don't use it...
I don't own an eq...
Maybe I should...?
confused.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #42 of 233
i think eq should be used in some cases.
i dont have to use eq with hd650 and mylarone x3i. however, with dt990 2005, the treble sometimes can be too harsh in certain music, and lowering the treble a little bit in eq greatly helps me enjoy the music.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #43 of 233
No EQ for me. I have had a series of Creative Players with the custom EQ option . Even engaging the EQ as flat seems to change the sound. I have tried minor EQ tweaks but have always gone back to no EQ. The sound is just not right somehow. I don't know what the technical reasons are for this but for me equalized sound is just not right. I currently use the Zune 80 which has no equalization feature. I think Microsoft got it right with that idea. The sound is very good.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #44 of 233
It seems that eq can cause fase shifting (if that's the right way to say it in English...)
confused.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #45 of 233
I generally won't EQ a track if there's not something horribly wrong with it. I may mess with it a bit if the recording is way off, but for the most part I leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back