Do you think my ATH-M50s are fake?
Sep 10, 2011 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sadiew

New Head-Fier
I already have my opinion, but I'm pretty new to the audiophile scene, so I don't really know a whole lot. Looking at my pictures what do you guys think? Sorry for the quality, I don't have the best camera and the lighting wasn't great.

Some things that make me think they are fake (besides the actual product) include that:
1. it shipped from Hong Kong
2. the website looked sketchy (yes, I know I was stupid to trust them anyway)
3. It took them about 15 days to even ship the product, not include actual travel time (I don't think legit businesses would take that long)
4. The box is pretty beat up looking, dirty, and bent up. It also has yellow packing tape all over like someone opened it
5. The registration paper is only in Chinese, which if it was meant to be sent abroad it would also be in English I think
6. The print on the box is not perfectly clear (though not as bad as some I've seen) and seems a little faded
7. The blue on the box doesn't seem as "true" as the blue I've seen online
8. The inside of the box seemed to have a lot of dust, like on the carrying bag and such.

Problems with the actual product:
1. There is no PCB sticker on the right or left side in the cups
2. The inside of the right side seemed very flimsy
3. The plastic inside part of the cups seems poorly made, and it's at a slant instead of straight across it seems
4. The stuffing looks way off in the head band, with lumps and empty pockets just hanging down it seems
5. The headband looks bent out of shape, and when compared to the plastic container for the phones doesn't seem to be the right shape
6. I actually ordered the straight cord version (I made a point of this) but I got the spiral cord
7. The silver rings are poorly glued down and I can easily lift them using my nail (poor quality?)
8. When I try to extend the length of the headphones the right side is kind of resistant and clicks and catches. Not smooth

Might be signs that it's fake:
1. Does the stitching in the band seem off?
2. It seems strange that the right headphone has a lot less wires in it than the left one and seems flimsier on the inside
3. The print on the headphones doesn't seem sharp

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Never buy from sketchy sites, without any reviews. Also never buy from China, 99% of the time their fake. Always read the return policy aswell.

IMO, they look very fake, looks like cheap plastic and poorly made.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Looks like a fake. Deformed headband, rings popping off.. 
I've auditioned the M50s (genuine) before but I never thought of them as being flimsy or having bad build quality.

How does it sound?

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Either fake or a quality control send-back that was sold to a random Hong-Kong dropshipping/wholesale site.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 9
Sep 10, 2011 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Looks like a fake. Deformed headband, rings popping off.. 
I've auditioned the M50s (genuine) before but I never thought of them as being flimsy or having bad build quality.

How does it sound?

I can't really say how it sounds cause I've been using $10 earphones lately so anything above that will sound great lol. Also I've never purchased a really nice set of headphones before. I mean I guess they sound ok, they got bass, but again I don't know much about phones yet. Also the right driver broke and now the right side won't play. I think this happened when I opened it to look at the circuit board and to see if there was a PCB sticker. I don't think I was even rough on it and the wire frayed. I don't know if that means it was poorly made inside and something would have unsettled it eventually after being used or if I was stupid in handling it. Does it matter if I broke it if they are fake since I don't even want them? Darn it.

Quote:
There's a way to tell whether the M50s are real or fake by looking at the driver enclosure.. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513866/has-the-fake-ath-m50-arrived < for reference.

I don't know what the driver enclosure is really, and I didn't see anything about it in that link, unless you just mean inside the actual headphone like in this picture: http://www.head-fi.org/t/513866/has-the-fake-ath-m50-arrived/270#post_7692067 I thought I had already done that in my 6th picture up there. If that's what you are talking about, my circuit boards are not yellow and I don't have the PCB sticker.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Glad I'm not the only one that smells something odd about these headphones :)

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Sorry man,these are fakes..
Before you buy anything from now on try to get some advice from fellow Headfiers...
Can you return them back and get a refund?

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Yea that's what I meant. 

You planning to keep those M50s? 

Quote:
Sorry man,these are fakes..
Before you buy anything from now on try to get some advice from fellow Headfiers...
Can you return them back and get a refund?

I bought my headphones through Pay Pal and I checked before hand and if you get fakes you can put a complaint in and get your money back, so I'm hoping to get a refund that way. Don't wanna keep them at all. Crappy, fake, and the right driver is bust now. I just wanna get my money back so I can buy a legit pair at Guitar Center or something lol. I mean, I don't know why I would keep them, unless I'm missing something. I expected them to be fakes so I'm not bummed out actually. In fact, this way I can make sure to get a warranty at least, which I was bummed about not having. So, it kind of works out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back