Do you prefer your headphones burnt-in?
Mar 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Shoewreck

500+ Head-Fier
I just understood that fresh-out-of-box headphones sound so sweet. Almost any set I had lost that magic after a while (except my beloved ER-6, that have gone opposite way - from harsh to sweet). Am I nuts?

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 34
I have a question about burn-in that conveniently never gets answered.

Why does burn-in only ever seem to improve headphones?

Your post is possibly the first post I have ever seen suggesting the brand new headphone sounds better than an older one.

As to your issue, no I don't think you're nuts. I suspect it is for a reason other than burn-in that you preferred the fresh out of the box set. That reason is expectation. You were so excited to get your headphones and you expected them to sound great, and so they did. However, after the honey-moon period, you realised that they weren't as great as you thought.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 34
I prefer headphones which have had at least 2-300 hours on them.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 34
I can hear slight changes with burn in (not sure if it's headphone or brain burn in), but that's probably placebo. Anyway, I do burn in my headphone because it's free.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 34
Being new to all this, i want to ask those that are saying they like between 200 - 500+ hours, if you guys arent being sarcastic, can you actually tell the difference between headphones that have 150hours and headphones with 300+???

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedingeardrums /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being new to all this, i want to ask those that are saying they like between 200 - 500+ hours, if you guys arent being sarcastic, can you actually tell the difference between headphones that have 150hours and headphones with 300+???

No but I can tell the difference between brand new and 2-300hours.
After that initial burn-in its pretty hard to notice any changes, especially by that time you are not worrying about it anymore and are just enjoying the music
wink_face.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedingeardrums /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, with some headphones you can tell the difference.
k701smile.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As to your issue, no I don't think you're nuts. I suspect it is for a reason other than burn-in that you preferred the fresh out of the box set. That reason is expectation. You were so excited to get your headphones and you expected them to sound great, and so they did. However, after the honey-moon period, you realised that they weren't as great as you thought.

I don't think that I'm nuts, too
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm not sure about "honey-moon effect", but still can't exclude it. Reasons not to believe in HME:
1) I can clearly remember the "fresh" sound sig, that was the same on three sets that showed big changes afrter burn-in and pretty similar on those that showed less burn-in change. This may easily be the inherent character of mylar dynamic diaphragms that I get used to after a while, but...
2) The "fresh" character has suddenlty gone from my K501 once I stressed it with a powerfull bass wave for a minute and it never came back. Nobody would believe me, but it was an instant burn-in that made me a strong believer.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 34
I didn't find much difference after burn in on eH 350. DT880 are different story. Its clear that sound changed. EQ settings I had to use when they were new are now (after maybe 400 hours) almost unusable and they sound their best flat with no EQ.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just understood that fresh-out-of-box headphones sound so sweet. Almost any set I had lost that magic after a while (except my beloved ER-6, that have gone opposite way - from harsh to sweet). Am I nuts?

I would say that the "magic" they are losing is your brain becoming accustomed to the sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back