Do you prefer your headphones burnt-in?
Mar 13, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 34
For me It doesnt matter but I in up liking them as they burn in. I dont really sit my headphone down and let them burn in them self.

I listen to them while there burning in. I still like them rather they're not burned in, or burned in.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 34
I like mine to come to me burnt-in. Saves me the trouble of actually trying to establish if and how the burn-in process changed them.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #19 of 34
Burnt to a crisp!
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 34
I liked my SR-80s energy more when they were new. But they crackled, and were very fatiguing.

They've mellowed, but I also think they've lost just a bit of magic.

Also, for some reason, though they're balanced armatures, my Apple ADDIEM's seem less exciting as well after a few months, may be psychological though.

My Mylarones on the other hand were awful striaght out of the box. They got better, even very enjoyable, but broke within 3 months.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 34
I did not believe in burn-in until I got DT770s. They really did improve noticeably after a couple of week's use (a neat trick considering how awesome they sounded new!)

Headphones are the only product with which I have ever experienced burn-in (I have never, for example, heard it with amps, sources, or speakers.)

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by esien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
burn-in definitely exists, period.

I added the "burn-in doesn't exist" option for those who find the poll useless but still want to vote
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #26 of 34
I voted for "Roast them"

Seriously, I've bought 3 new sets of headphones in my life, two Grados and one Senn and all of them sounded like they needed to be returned right outta the box. Burn in for transducers is real, if you ask me.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #28 of 34
How about those of us who prefer all our headphones burnt-in, and not just some of them...?
wink.gif

I believe in burn-in, and find all 'phones to be a bit stiff and sterile straight out of the box. They need a couple hundred hours to loosen up.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about those of us who prefer all our headphones burnt-in, and not just some of them...?
wink.gif

This roughly equals to most.
Quote:

I believe in burn-in, and find all 'phones to be a bit stiff and sterile straight out of the box. They need a couple hundred hours to loosen up.

That "stiff and sterile" cleans up some harsh details in music, that makes it sound sweeter.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #30 of 34
Burn-in making your headphones sound worse? I think you're just getting used to them and the "new stuff" buzz is wearing off. Try some ultrasones out of the box and tell me they sound better than burnt in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck
That "stiff and sterile" cleans up some harsh details in music, that makes it sound sweeter.

Really? Stiff and sterile is what makes them sound harsh to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back