Do you prefer to listen to entire albums or random tracks?

Entire Album or Random Tracks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 16, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 38
If I'm browsing the internet or something, I just put all my music on shuffle. When I'm actually focusing on listening to music, full albums.

full albums usually. anything from bob dylan

My dude.

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #17 of 38
Anderson-.Paak-Oxnard-album-cover.jpg

This album just dropped so.....

Nov 16, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #18 of 38
New albums don't always have the same front-to-back quality as those from yesteryear. I think a lot of new albums suffer from being made in a time when a hot ALBUM is not as important as hot singles.
That's more true for music important to pop culture than other genres though. A band like Badbadnotgood for instance has put out 2 excellent albums worthy of full replays, but that doesn't hold true for other artists in other genres imo.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Making albums and marketing them as a whole simply isn't the distribution model anymore.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #19 of 38
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Making albums and marketing them as a whole simply isn't the distribution model anymore.

Not sure I agree with that. Music distribution is complex. And I think albums still have an important role in it. Even in the pop music genres.

More to the point, I think there are still plenty of artists who enjoy the process of assembling different ideas and concepts together into an album.

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #20 of 38
Not sure I agree with that. Music distribution is complex. And I think albums still have an important role in it. Even in the pop music genres.

More to the point, I think there are still plenty of artists who enjoy the process of assembling different ideas and concepts together into an album.

True, but the art and dedication to make a good full album is often missing. I find most artists who are considered mainstream don't make albums so much as a collection of songs to satisfy label demands and appease fans.
I can think of at least 5 albums new this year that are actual albums but plenty that are just iTunes fillers (Scorpio by Drake being the most obvious.)

Nov 19, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #21 of 38
I also think the type of medium we are using may push us into what kind of listening we do. If I am going to buy vinyl, I am going to listen to the album from end to end. If I buy a CD and rip it to my library, I will listen the album end to end. If I'm on Spotify, that's when things become different for me. Working at my computer I will put on one of the focus playlists, which is completely random. If I'm looking for a change in music scenery or at new artists, I will be doing random searches all day long. But at the end of the day, nothing satisfies my love for music as a good solid listen to an entire album. :)

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #23 of 38
True, but the art and dedication to make a good full album is often missing. I find most artists who are considered mainstream don't make albums so much as a collection of songs to satisfy label demands and appease fans.

Hasn't that always been the case to some degree though?

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #24 of 38
Nov 23, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #28 of 38
When im driving or walking, shuffle.Desktop, album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back