Do you Pre EQ your mp3s?
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Radar

New Head-Fier
I don't mean using the EQ on your player (which is often crap anyway). In an attempt to overcome what I hear as the shortcomings of my Portapro, I've been pre-EQing tracks while listening at the PC, then saving those tracks for listening only with the PP. Listening to these tracks with another headphone might sound really bad of course, but it sure makes for better listening with the PP. Anyone else do this?

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 16
I hope you didn't put that pair of earbuds on the FS forum.

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 16
Nope. I refuse to touch an EQ unless it's absolutely necessary, and that's yet to be the case with my two major cans.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. I refuse to touch an EQ unless it's absolutely necessary, and that's yet to be the case with my two major cans.

I would say EQing the PP is absolutely necessary
triportsad.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 16
The day i started hating EQ was the day i got my first Sennheisers...

before that i was an EQ lover..

YEs the DAP was iPod all the time..only the headphones changed

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you didn't put that pair of earbuds on the FS forum.

Ha, you mean these?
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 16
Such as the headspace and others that atempt to make headphones sound more like speakers.when I convert some files.

Tim

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 16
No, I sure don't.
I don't like EQ's in general, and stay clear as much as possible.

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You, sir, have too much free time.

It's time worth spent for an optimized listening experience. It only takes too much time if you're lazy or have too many headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pre-EQ sounds awfully complicated... but anyway, what EQ setting do you use? The same for all music?

The aim is to get a good overall balance between bass mid and treble for a particular headphone (in my case the PP) so an optimized EQ suits most music. It's not complicated, just takes a little patience.

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 16
I don't because I'm lazy and I have too many headphones. :wink:
If you're going to be posting here, you'll have to live with the snobs.

There's a head-fi member who made an EQ specifically for the PortaPro and Dolby Headphone... a chain of effects to apply to music and to put on a player. It's not really my cup of tea but it's interesting and definitely worth trying. You might be interested in his EQ-ing method (it involves a matlab script!) even if you don't care for DH.
Do tell if you have trouble finding the thread and I'll try to unearth it.

Aug 7, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 16
Some older recordings can sound a little muffled, so very occasionally a treble tweak (in Audacity) to a wav file before converting to MP3 seems to help. Generally speaking, I leave EQ'ing (if any) to the player concerned.

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't because I'm lazy and I have too many headphones. :wink:
If you're going to be posting here, you'll have to live with the snobs.

There's a head-fi member who made an EQ specifically for the PortaPro and Dolby Headphone... a chain of effects to apply to music and to put on a player. It's not really my cup of tea but it's interesting and definitely worth trying. You might be interested in his EQ-ing method (it involves a matlab script!) even if you don't care for DH.
Do tell if you have trouble finding the thread and I'll try to unearth it.

If you find that thread please do let me know. I'm not a dolby fan but it'd be interesting to see what the guy's come up with.

As far as living with the snobs - nah, they'll have to live with me. I have superior ears and have always been more interested in music and sound than collecting the latest greatest gadgets.. I'm also known for being over-modest.
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back