Do you own a digital camera that you Love? or hate? I'd like to know
Apr 8, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #46 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently deciding between a D200 and a D80. I haven't a clue which one to choose.. and whether the extra $400 for ergonomics is worth it..

For me the extra money was worth it. It feels much tougher than the d80 and the grip feels much nicer and overal it is a more sturdy camera.
OTOH if you do have the money for the 5d and have no Nikon lenses...go for that one!

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #47 of 171
I have a 20d, hate it.

I only shoot medium format these days
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #48 of 171
I needed something with tons of zoom, a stabilizer and a portable size.
After a lot of research I singled out the Canon S2 IS (the more famous S3 IS was too expensive) and the Kodak Z612.
In the end I got the Kodak and I'm pretty happy with it.
It doesn't have the sheer quality of a DSLR, but it takes very nice pictures nonetheless.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #49 of 171
Given my choice, I'd shoot medium format black-and-white film. I like the look of silver prints. Economics being what they are, though, and my time being limited, and adding to that the fact that I publish everything on the Web, I haven't shot film in two or three years. Ideally, I'd use my 6X7 and have someone scan the negatives. Do that for a year, though, and you've paid for a deluxe digital outfit. I used to spend a bunch of money on processing and prints.

If someone were to give me the camera I really want, it would be a monochrome digital. Kodak made one briefly but it had problems. I keep looking at Sigma and the Foveon sensor but so far it hasn't lived up to the promise. If they get enough money to continue development maybe it'll turn into something. There's now a Foveon-based point-and-shoot that's very interesting.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #50 of 171
My digicams so far:

- Fuji FinePix 4700, (my first and a keeper): compact; nice secondary display; ok to good picture quality; moderately blingy looks (if one wipes off the fingerprints...
wink.gif
); love factor: fairly high, if battery life wouldn't suck that much...

- Nikon CoolPix 3100 (probably another keeper): compact; very good handling/ergonomy; good picture quality; overall a good point&shoot cam; love factor: high, although I don't really use it that often...

- Kodak CX6230 (originally purchased as el cheapo always-in-my-backpack cam, later on passed on to my mum in favour of the next Kodak): still compact; simple and very easy to use point&shoot cam; ok to good picture quality; good ergonomy; rather high battery consumption, when not in use; love factor: fairly high with me - and mum sure loves it, too...

- Kodak CX7430 (originally puchased as successor for the CX6230 in my backpack, later on passed on to a ladyfriend in favour of yet another Kodak): on the whole very much like the CX6230, but a bit better (foremost in resolution and battery life); good picture quality; love factor: high with me as well as the ladyfriend, but I wanted something smaller...

- Kodak C360 (so far a keeper): compact to mini sized; very neat looking and easy to use point&shoot cam; funny lightshow on turn-on and neat sounds
biggrin.gif
; good picture quality; very good battery life; ok to good ergonomy (zoom buttons could be a bit bigger and the 4-way selector a bit more precise); very good price/performance (same for the Kodaks before, btw); love factor: high, so far practically the ideal point&shoot model for me - if I wanted yet another digicam, I'd probably go for something bigger with higher zoom factor and more manual controls as a complement...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #51 of 171
After several people have mentioned battery life, I'm surprised to see that dpreview listed the G7's battery life among its Cons, because the G3 actually had the best battery life in any prosumer camera when it was released. I can certainly vouch for it, its battery lasts for a long time. Given that caliber of an ancestor, I'm sure the G7 is a great camera overall. And dpreview gave it a close-to-highest recommendation after all.

Good choice Vektor, enjoy!!!

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #52 of 171
My point & shoot is a Nikon Coolpix 885, which I never was satisfied with when I first got it (something like 5 years ago). Painfully slow and very weak low-light quality. My mom got a Canon Axxx-something, which was a step above the Nikon. Still slow, but better quality; both of these p&s have some level of manual controls, which makes them nicer (some lower end/compact Canons don't have any manual controls). Used a Canon Pro 1 (bridge p&s) at work, which I've played with a bunch. Much better controls and image quality, but I still felt hindered by it; was sometimes slow and the controls got in my way, didn't like the EVF.

Then I used my first dSLR for the first time, my uncle's Nikon D50, and I realized that taking photos doesn't have to be a pain in the rear that p&s cameras make it! And then I really started to enjoy photography, where the camera didn't get in the way of me taking photos and being creative.

Got a Sony A100 dSLR later for myself, which I find to be overall better than the D50 (but in some areas a little weaker). No regrets, I love taking photos with it.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #53 of 171
Well I'm sad to say that my G7 didn't go through. It turns out the place I ordered from was a notorious bait and switch low ball scam outfit named Broadway Photo. Their ad in Digital photographer lent them an air of credibility in my eyes as they were right next to J& R and B&H ect. I guess they regularly sell reconditioned as new and such.I checked them at reseller AFTER ordering yeeks!! and went white.I cancelled my card before it could go through(extreme but effective) I ended up getting a Fuji Finepix F40fd from Newegg with 2gb memory for free and free shipping for $279.00. I'm confident this will be a good enough camera for me to start out with and I don't have to feel guilty for spending too much. If my interests expand so will my equipment. Thanks for all the good tips and advice as ever. ~ Mike

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #54 of 171
If you're going to get the Fuji, you might as well get the F30 or F31FD. They have better higher ISO performance (being they are lower megapixels) and they have aperture and shutter priority modes which is useful.

Try and change your newegg order.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #55 of 171
I learned my lesson when trying to buy my Canon 5D: avoid any seller of cameras from NY.....except B&H, Adorama, and J&R. Especially on E-bay: I later learned that the seller I tried buying a camera off of was using a different name. I noticed it was a different company that was charged on my card: one that's notoriously bad and is one of the #1 bait and switch places. Not worth it! Now I'm just buying from B&H or Amazon!

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #56 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently deciding between a D200 and a D80. I haven't a clue which one to choose.. and whether the extra $400 for ergonomics is worth it..

I weighed the same decision last year and ended up with the D80. It's still 10x the camera that I need or can really use. As far as ergos are concerned I added the vertical grip and even with my bear-paw like hands it feels great.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #57 of 171
I had many professional DSLR since the days of Canon D2000 but I always come back to my trusty Canon 1D...the greatest and last of Canon's CCD based DSLR.

img1067hm1.jpg

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #58 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vektor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up getting a Fuji Finepix F40fd

Are there any reviews comparing the F40fd against the F30 or F31? I would be very concerned that you're giving up higher ISO performance for 2 megapixels, a trade-off, in my opinion, not worth making.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #59 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any reviews comparing the F40fd against the F30 or F31? I would be very concerned that you're giving up higher ISO performance for 2 megapixels, a trade-off, in my opinion, not worth making.

Best,

-Jason

I can still change the order but based on the information in this thread : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22818912
It's that gentlemans experience and also anothers comparison with the F31fd that helped me make my decision. That and just being sick of spending every night reading review after review. I could just as easily have gotten the A630/640 or 710IS but in the end it seemed that Fuji's f series had the Best IQ of the bunch. If you really think the F31 is a better camera I can change my order...it is cheaper. I just liked that the F40 used SD cards as well.I have off today and will check my email for your response to that thread. I can change the order still...for a little while anyway. I just wish there was a decision about the camera that was as clear as the descision about the KSC75/JVC Marshmallows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back