Do you own a digital camera that you Love? or hate? I'd like to know
Apr 8, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #31 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your budget can stretch it, 2x is even better.

Relative on par in terms of Head-Fi Dollars.

eh.....that's 10 times more then what they OP is asking for
wink.gif
Maybe that's on par with Head-Fi too....not keeping to budget
icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #32 of 171
I'm just overwhelmed lol. I'm really starting to look closely at the Panasonic FZ50 which I can get for 434.00 it did really well at dpreview. I also really like that Olympus E500 deal I'm just starting to get a little intimidated by it all and wondering if I'm going to do it again (by that I mean spend a bunch of money buy something way above what I actually need). Although I really do love taking pictures. I think I'm just a little tired after two days of nothing but reviews and head scratching I'm starting to get antsy and wanting something more simple like the G7 or the highly rated Fuji Finepix F series (which are way in my price range) This forum as always has been a remarkable resource as I suspected it would be, I have a feeling this erudite crowd does very little half way or with little thought. Thanks for all the good information.

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #33 of 171
I'm currently deciding between a D200 and a D80. I haven't a clue which one to choose.. and whether the extra $400 for ergonomics is worth it..

There's also the option to go back to Canon with the 5D..
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #34 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also the option to go back to Canon with the 5D..
biggrin.gif

Yes, you know you want full sensor!! I've had mine for three days....now that I'm getting used to it, it's an awesome camera!!! Only thing is I want more lenses now
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #35 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Kodak C310. Avoid like the plague.

I agree with that. As a budget point-and-shoot digital camera, the C310 has a maximum effective resolution of 4MP, no autofocus or even adjustable focus (has fixed focus instead), no optical zoom, permanently fixed aperture setting, poor performance in low light and bright sunlight.

Quote:

I'm currently deciding between a D200 and a D80. I haven't a clue which one to choose.. and whether the extra $400 for ergonomics is worth it..

The choice between the D200 and the D80 boils down largely to whether you're going to use the old manual-focus (non-CPU) Ai/Ai-S Nikon-mount lenses often. The D200 will meter with a non-CPU lens, but only in aperture-priority or manual modes with centerweighted or spot metering (and Matrix metering can be used if the aperture information for the mounted non-CPU lens is manually programmed into the D200's CPU); the D80 will not meter at all with a non-CPU lens (the selected shutter speed, but not the selected aperture, will be displayed in the viewfinder, and there will be no indication for correct exposure, overexposure or underexposure in the viewfinder). And of course, you will have to focus a non-CPU lens manually with either camera.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #37 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with that. As a budget point-and-shoot digital camera, the C310 has a maximum effective resolution of 4MP, no autofocus or even adjustable focus (has fixed focus instead), no optical zoom, permanently fixed aperture setting, poor performance in low light and bright sunlight.

The choice between the D200 and the D80 boils down largely to whether you're going to use the old manual-focus (non-CPU) Ai/Ai-S Nikon-mount lenses often. The D200 will meter with a non-CPU lens, but only in aperture-priority or manual modes with centerweighted or spot metering (and Matrix metering can be used if the aperture information for the mounted non-CPU lens is manually programmed into the D200's CPU); the D80 will not meter at all with a non-CPU lens (the selected shutter speed, but not the selected aperture, will be displayed in the viewfinder, and there will be no indication for correct exposure, overexposure or underexposure in the viewfinder). And of course, you will have to focus a non-CPU lens manually with either camera.

I'm planning on purchasing a Nikon 17-55 DX, and a 60mm Micro, so all that is null-and-void... but I'm worried that the D80 will be too small with the 17-55mm (I currently have a D50, and I already find that a bit too small -- D80 is roughly the same size).

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #38 of 171
Quote:

I'm planning on purchasing a Nikon 17-55 DX, and a 60mm Micro, so all that is null-and-void... but I'm worried that the D80 will be too small with the 17-55mm (I currently have a D50, and I already find that a bit too small -- D80 is roughly the same size).

I get it. Both of those lenses that you're planning to get are CPU-type lenses.

Apr 8, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #39 of 171
I would recommend Fuji S6000FD.

- Low light performance is one of the best for point and shoot. The lack of image stabilization is not a big deal. Most people don't use IS anyway and they make due. It's better to learn technique in holding/bracing yourself.

- It has more zoom than average. This makes it versatile for everyday use.

- It can shoot RAW. In the case you want to learn post processing later, you can have better flexiblity and image quality.

- 6MP is enough for most people. All you need is 2MP for 4x6 prints.

- It's in your price range.

I have the F30 but I don't use it much since I use DSLR. The good thing about a smaller camera is it can gracefully be a portable rig when you don't want to carry the big rig around. That arguement is one thing going against something large like the S6000FD.

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #40 of 171
I've been using my D70 for about 3 years now, and it has been through ALOT. Drops on rock, sand, and rain from the Mojave desert to the top of Mt. Fuji, from -12 deg F to 150 deg F. It's never missed a beat and still shoots just as well as it did when it was new. Highly recommended, and you can get them for very reasonable prices on ebay now that they have been succeeded by the newer D70. It is still a GOOD camera, especially for the price it goes for these days!

Apr 8, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #41 of 171
Quote:

(I currently have a D50, and I already find that a bit too small -- D80 is roughly the same size).

Assuming the D80 is the same size as the D70, I don't think you'll have a problem. A friend of mine has the D50, and when I borrowed it for the day, I definitely found it too small for my liking. The D70 grip is decently larger, and I really like it. I would imagine the D80 is similar.

Apr 8, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #42 of 171
I have a Nikon D50, a Panasonic FZ5, and a Canon SD1000. All offer great price to performance in their respective categories and I'm really happy with them. The D50 is a great all rounder dslr and I don't mis much from selling my D70 but if you have the money, the D80 is an outstanding camera. The AF can be a little slow esp in low light but it works well enough for me and when it doesn't, I love mf too so it doesn't bother me.

The Panny and other ultra zoom p&s also offer tremendous value for the money. ~35-400mm zoom length, good high iso performance, built-in vibration reduction, and relatively cheap price tags combine to make a stellar value. The ultra compacts are also great values, have decent image quality as well, and fit into your jeans without notice but many manual features are lost as a tradeoff for size, which can sometimes get on your nerves. If it were me though, I'd get the ultra-zoom and save for a dslr like the Nikon D80/D200 or the Canon XTi/30D. You'll get a lot more performance out of your dollar.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #43 of 171
I have a Canon EOS 1D mark 2, which I've been using for a couple of years. From the first time I picked it up in the store it has been "my" camera. It's quick, reliable and does what I tell it to do.

After years of resisting zoom lenses, I recently bought an EF 24-70 F/2.8L lens so I wouldn't have to change lenses on the beach after a sculpture. Limiting sand incursion into a camera is a good thing. This lens is great. I just shoot and don't worry about vignetting or lack of sharpness. The whole thing just works. Expensive, big and heavy, yes, but... I like things that work with no hassle.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #44 of 171
My god there are a lot of very nice cameras listed above. I decided to get something more suited to a novice such as myself but that still has some manual controls so that I might learn. If I find I'm getting into photography and I need to expand I'll look into a Dslr then. For now it was between the Canon A640 and The G7 while the smart choice would have been the A640. I've been enamored of the G series every year when I look for a Digital camera for the last 3 or 4 years so that is what I got a Canon G7 for 415.00. I sure hope I like it. Thanks for all of your input. ~ Vektor

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #45 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the D200.
Battery life isn't too good though. You'll probably need the grip.

If your budget can stretch it, 2x is even better.

Relative on par in terms of Head-Fi Dollars.

Yep, I have noticed that also. With my d100 I could easily take 400 pics, don't make that now. But I do have a second battery so a full day of shooting is no problem. I intend to buy the grip but just for the grip only. It won't improve the amount of time you can have with the battery since the camera will take power from two batteries at the same time wich leads to a shorter amount of time with the batteries than when you would use them seperately one by one.
Does that make sence????
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back