Do you like spam?
Oct 9, 2009 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
spam_ad_1975_copy.jpg

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 85
I only had it once that I recall, as a child at a friend's house for breakfast. I recall thinking that it had the hammy smell-taste that was overripe, rancid. 'Hanging out with nine-year-olds, you can imagine how intimately you'd come to know that stench in a variety of peculiar circumstances.

*That said, I have a strong, entrenched fondness for Underwood Deviled Spread. I can perfectly see ordinary people wrinkling their noses and saying, "This is dogfood--Right?" Underwood Deviled Spread made it possible for me to later understand pate, French Canadian cretons, kidneys, sweetbreads, and a variety of other offal-based products. I've never blanched at *any* hotdog.

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 85
I used to eat it hot, crispy, and with ketchup. I can remember it being hard and salty.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 85
I use it to make homemade Egg McMuffins.

Slice two pieces fairly thin and fry them up.

Make an egg sunny side up or over easy (i like a runny yolk).

Toast an english muffin.

Slice of american cheese.

put it all together and its delicious.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 85
HE!! NO.
My body is my temple, and other that what I used to put in it in the 70's,
and a occasional trans-fat, I keep my body Spam Free.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 85
Spam is the greatest food ever! I plan on peanut butter, spam, and ramen noddles getting me through college
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*That said, I have a strong, entrenched fondness for Underwood Deviled Spread. I can perfectly see ordinary people wrinkling their noses and saying, "This is dogfood--Right?" Underwood Deviled Spread made it possible for me to later understand pate, French Canadian cretons, kidneys, sweetbreads, and a variety of other offal-based products. I've never blanched at *any* hotdog.

Is that the stuff in deviled eggs?

I enjoy Spam. I don’t necessarily eat it. I have a lady friend that enjoys spanking me with a barber’s strop. I use Spam in place of a safe word. I ball up about a half can and hold the wad underneath my arm. When the pain becomes unbearable, I let the ball of Spam drop. That’s the “code word” for her to lay off. She’s deaf. It’s a real mess. I end up with my butt covered in jeweler’s rouge and spam in my pit hair, but it beats a night of wondering around the garden center at Lowe’s crying. Anyway, after it's all over she puts the shock collar on me. I have one of those astro-tuff putting greens in my home. She makes me push the ball of Spam up the putting green with my nose. If I don't make it in the hole fast enough, I get zapped.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a lady friend that enjoys spanking me with a barber’s strop. I use Spam in place of a safe word. I ball up about a half can and hold the wad underneath my arm. When the pain becomes unbearable, I let the ball of Spam drop. That’s the “code word” for her to lay off. She’s deaf. It’s a real mess. I end up with my butt covered in jeweler’s rouge and spam in my pit hair, but it beats a night of wondering around the garden center at Lowe’s crying.

But of course, who doesn't have a safe word or similar convention with his mistress? And who hasn't wasted a night wandering through the stunted ficus trees and mother-in-law's tongues crying in the Lowes Garden Center? It is natural, an intrinsic element of le malaise modern.

For this, no salve remedies the soul's melancholy so well as fresh deviled eggs.

6 eggs
1/4 cp good mayo
1/4 purple onion-small dice
1 tblsp. hot English prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne
1/2 tsp. madras curry power
Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste

1. Boil the eggs for 15minutes on high heat, on the range. Let them cool on a plate, then break their shells with a spoon, and peel each of them.
2. Slice each egg length-wise with a sharp knife. Scoop out the yolks into a small bowl (the yolks should be dry-cooked). Mash the yolks with a fork or the flat bottom of a coffee mug.
3. Fold into the yolks all the other ingredients. Check salt and peppery spice. Last refill the emptied egg halves with the yolk mixture. Refrigerate for an hour. Serve or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 85
And not one Monty Python reference. Disappointing.

Yes, I eat Spam. Not terribly often, but I don't mind it at all. When I used to go backpacking regularly, Spam was usually the "treat" meal after several days of freeze-dried food. You'd slice and fry the Spam along with reconstituted potatoes au gratin and it was good. Surprisingly good.

Every one in a blue moon, I'll have Spam with scrambled eggs. When I lived in Salem, OR, there was a Japanese restaurant that served Spam musubi (surprisingly good) as well as several noodle dishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back