Do you like lamb?
Oct 2, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #76 of 98
I remember my first good lamb in 5th grade - it was the night of the debut of my dad's friend's daughter, who's a professional soprano, and the celebration was at a high-end Italian restaurant in San Diego. First bite was incredible. Then I ordered another dish. Luckily i wasn't footing the bill that dinner, or else I would have had to do the equivalent of mowing several months worth of lawns after that..

Oct 2, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #78 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, Lamb > Beef.

thats a VERY bold statement
smily_headphones1.gif

in all honesty, when the best parts of both are prepared in the best ways, I dont think lamb can hold a candle to beef. no part of the lamb has quite the same "melt in your mouth" sensation as perfect beef, nor does it have the richness of flavor - there is little you can do to battle the gaminess of lamb, except mask it with even stronger flavors.

Oct 2, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #79 of 98
Just had boneless roast; blighty style with mint jelly, roast spuds, sprouts and carrots.
Yum.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #80 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats a VERY bold statement
smily_headphones1.gif

in all honesty, when the best parts of both are prepared in the best ways, I dont think lamb can hold a candle to beef. no part of the lamb has quite the same "melt in your mouth" sensation as perfect beef, nor does it have the richness of flavor - there is little you can do to battle the gaminess of lamb, except mask it with even stronger flavors.

Not that bold. Lamb is way better than beef.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #81 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pain_surprise_a_l_agneau_confit_large_recette.jpg

Empty a big round bread, after carefully removing the top.
Take a nice lamb gigot, without bone if possible.
Make some cuts inside the gigots and fill those with anchovies.
Cut together and mix olives, herbs at taste, garlic and onions.
Pass olive oil, pepper and salt all around the gigot and put it inside the bread.
Pour the mix all around the gigot and generously dump olive oil over it.
With a little rope, re-attach the top of the bread. Wrap the bread in aluminum foil.
Oven mustn't be too hot. Half an hour before the end, remove the foil for the bread to be crusty.

When cooked, remove the gigot and cut it. Put the pieces back inside and serve in the whole bread. Eat the lamb with the bread ladden with lamb juices and fresh vegetables.

THat looks seriously amazing especially if it's high quality bread and a high quality lamb gigot. I am going to save this recipe for a test run.

Oct 2, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #82 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you guys are weird
duggehsmile.png

if you'd said horse was better than beef, i'd think you have an argument. but lamb? it has its place, and is certainly a good flavor, but even rack of lamb (truly the mercedes-benz of cuts) falls short of a spectacular ribeye.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #86 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
THat looks seriously amazing especially if it's high quality bread and a high quality lamb gigot. I am going to save this recipe for a test run.

I had forgotten the cooking time: 2 hours at 180°c (a bit more or less depending on size).

You can also add chopped walnuts to the mix. Garlic must be added whole, not peeled (too strong otherwise).

Oct 2, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #87 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

QFT. Heck, personally, I find buffalo to be infinitely better than beef as well. But nothing beats well prepared lamb.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #89 of 98
You still wake up sometimes, don't you? Wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs.

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #90 of 98
Shoot. Why compare? Right now I'd probably eat any cut of either beef or lamb put in front of me with a barbarous zeal. Lamb is freaking delicious, yes I like it.

I went to Texas A&M University, which is a huge agricultural school for those of you who don't know. The Agriculture department had a store which sold all different cuts of meat; I had rented a house with a bunch of guys, and we had a big smoker in the backyard which definitely smoked its share of lamb; I always liked the shoulder cuts the most, to be honest. The first time I had a bite I was dying. It was too delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back