Do you like lamb?
Mar 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #46 of 98
My only problem with sheep/lamp meat is the consistency of the fat.
The melting point is really high, and therefor 'stiffens' very easily.
Another thing, which is connected to the aforementioned,
is that sheep fat is something of the most unhealthy kind of fat you can eat (excluding trans-fats)

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #48 of 98
lamb kebab is the best
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #49 of 98
Next to some well prepared bison, lamb is my favorite meat
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll take a slab of lamb over a filet any day!

Bison, on the other hand, is incredible. If you haven't tried it, please do whenever you get the chane!

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something that's very cool with lamb, is that the meat takes a lot of taste from what they're eating.
They have sheep farms on several of the little island around here, the sheep is known to feed on seaweeds in the summer, and that gives a really interestingly pleasant marine taste to the meat.
While the ones that grazes up in the mountains in the summer, and eats all sorts of berries and shrubs gets a whole other taste to their meat.

Iodine-ized lamb. Cool!
Most animals are the same. Some folks feed animals on fruit for a period before slaughter. The geese and ducks around here taste amazingly fishy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a similar phenomenon with black bears. There are "fishy" bears and "berry" bears. Berry bear fat is great for making pies. Fishy bears, not so much. The director of the center I worked at once made a pie using fishy bear fat, KNOWING it was a fishy bear. It didn't turn out well...

Polar Bear tastes like fishy pork chop.
I'm the only guy in the household who is not the biggest fan.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #52 of 98
lamb, imo, is highly overrated.

it tastes similar to horse, except that it is more tender, at the expense of being more gamey. give me horse over lamb any day.

when it comes to mutton, however, bring it on! nothing like a hearty mutton strew or braised leg of mutton, which unlike a leg of lamb, has better mouthfeel that is similar to beef.

edit: i see i responded to this thread only because someone spam-bumped it. aw well, my opinion still stands
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #53 of 98
Lamb may be one of the most delicious creatures on this planet. I prefer tender little chops, seasoned and grilled.

Which reminds me, I think we're going to gather the guys for another Night of Meat at my cousin's place. It's sort of a potluck - we all pick up a cut or two and head over. We then cook everything at his house. Alcoholic beverages before, during and after the meal, and cigars in closing.

Typically, we send the womenfolk away since a few are squeamish about the lamb and, especially, if it is necessary to whack a few lobsters as one of the courses.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #54 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lamb may be one of the most delicious creatures on this planet. I prefer tender little chops, seasoned and grilled.

Typically, we send the womenfolk away since a few are squeamish about the lamb and, especially, if it is necessary to whack a few lobsters as one of the courses.

lamb chops are quite the pop thing these days :/ the best part is the saddle! stuff that with lemon, mint, and goat cheese - YUM!

strange that the women don't enjoy lamb - in my experience, more women order it than men

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #56 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nausicaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats your favorite way to prepare lamb? I have a lot frozen, but I don't knopw what to do with it.

which cuts do you have?

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #57 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not stand it!
That goes for the full gown animal (cheep) as well.

I'm pretty sure they go Baaaa!
tongue.gif

btw, I love roast lamb, lamb chop, kebabs etc.

as far as distinction goes - at least in my ming, lamb is meat from (young) sheep, mutton is meat from goats

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #58 of 98
my favorite preparation for lamb is vindaloo, tho really, grilled chops and standing rack with rosemary are pretty darn good too...

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #59 of 98
depends how it's made. i prefer them grilled, roasted, or in a stew/curry. i like it's unique flavor and makes a good substitute and sometimes prefer it over beef. not everyone can stand its flavor though.

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #60 of 98
My family is from South India as well, and places in this region like Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Tamil Nadu are known more for vegetarian, fish and some chicken recipes rather than lamb. People in this region do prepare lamb, but fish is a better option.
smile.gif

I do like lamb though. I'm not a big fan of braised lamb shanks as I don't like the gelatinous texture so much, but I do like chops and curries.

I have it in my mind that I'll make lamb bacon one day, but I haven't gotten around to that and don't know when I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back