Do you know who built this BH ?
Nov 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

budx3385

500+ Head-Fier
I bought this beautiful BH on audiogon. The seller could not tell me who built it. I would like to find out, to see if s/he can help me optimize its SQ. It sounds pretty darned good with the SR-009, but I think it could be even better.

Can you tell me anything about this builder?

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 19
It sure looks like it, Ricky, but the guy I bought it from lived near Atlanta, GA. Any idea where momomo got it? And how's the ZD doing for you?

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 19
Trying to follow the breadcrumbs, it looks like it may be the same build here as well by Naaman:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/494086/fs-blue-hawaii

FWIW I was eyeballing that amp for a good few days about a year ago and decided to pass, believe it or not momomo6789 was banned from the forums in the middle of me buying a O2mk1 from him.  I eventually received the phones and I am equally glad to see the amp made it into good hands.

The ZDSE is still my daily amp!  I switch up between HD800 and HP-2 but I really want to try out more tubes.  I have an O2mk1 and KGSS, a local buddy also has the BHSE, we should get together someday and compare!

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 19
I have not heard the Meridian 808, but I have not generally been a fan of other Meridian gear so that's were I'd start. 

If you truly love the 808 (dunno, like I said never heard it) plug in and enjoy. 

Your system is now optimized. 

I think I heard that BH at Can-Jam LA and it was absolutely outstanding. I don't remember what source it was hooked up to, but I want to say it was a TPA Buffalo-32. It should be in the impressions thread. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 19
^^ Ricky, you are doing good detective work. That certainly looks like it. Now, who is Naaman? I can't find a clue in the google output for that spelling. Keep up the good work!

And I'm all for that get-together. I foolishly purchased a brand new WES, too, which is presently back in NY awaiting unknown, increasingly expensive mods to try to make it less bright. Seems a great match for the 007mk2, but not for the 009. We'll see if anything can be done. On this BH, the 009 delivers spot-on tonality, but it reveals a lack of detail in the amp. I dunno, maybe it just needs the "right" set of Mullard EL34s. If I could reach the builder, I'll bet he or she could help.

^ Hey, nikon, thanks for the hot tip. If that's right, then this unit seems to have had owners in Texas, South Florida, LA, Atlanta and Phoenix all within the past year. Hmm, I wonder....

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 19
Momomo6789 sold the amp to TrevorNetwork who later sold it on eBay/Audiogon after a few days. Both users are banned. I'm not sure who you purchased it from because there could be other owners missing.

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks, Rocky.  Banned means they used purple language, or ripped someone off? I honestly don't know what that means exactly.

The trail is getting ever more interesting. I bought it from "Trevor Welsh" in or near Atlanta in late June 2011, on audiogon. He shipped it with the tubes pulled but not numbered, so when I inserted them (in some random order) the SQ was horrible. Then he tried very hard to get UPS to pay the insured sum because of the dented corner on the box. Needless to say, it sounded much better after a local audio wizard re-aligned all the bias adjustments, but by that time "Trevor" had vanished. Maybe this is the very same unit, but momomo's FS ad was 7 months prior to that. You are probably right, we're still missing a few owners.

I'd sure like to learn who Naaman is, and how to contact him or her.

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 19
^ Radiohead, many THANK YOUs. Looks like a bullseye!

He listed his job as Army helicopter pilot. Ohh. PM sent.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS OTHER INFO ON HEAD-FIER NAAMANF, PLEASE POST IN.

THANK YOU.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #13 of 19
Whoa whoa hold on here, so Naamanf do you stake claim to having built the BH?  Can you give us any details?  I've been "following" this amp for over a year lol.  This sleuthing is fun we should do it more often.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Whoa whoa hold on here, so Naamanf do you stake claim to having built the BH?  Can you give us any details?  I've been "following" this amp for over a year lol.  This sleuthing is fun we should do it more often.

Yes, I built this amp about three years ago while deployed to Iraq. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Momomo6789 sold the amp to TrevorNetwork who later sold it on eBay/Audiogon after a few days. Both users are banned. I'm not sure who you purchased it from because there could be other owners missing.

As far as I know the amp was indeed most recently owned by TrevorNetwork/Alex_O_Rules, who was twice banned here. He is from Atlanta, Georgia. There was an interesting thread regarding this amp over at the other place. Search this forum for trevornetwork and you will find some most unsavory dealings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back