Do you keep or sell marginal cans?
May 1, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 56
with a good resource like head-fi, you can find a home for them.

if its cheap earbuds-- trade them in to us!

smily_headphones1.gif

www.sennheiserusa.com/upgrade

May 1, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A practical question:

When you have a headphone or headphones that you marginally like, but don't get a lot of head time, do you tend to keep them or sell them or send them back to the vendor?

Or do you sit on them, "in case", in case your gear changes, your taste changes, your music changes, whatever?
What to do? What do you do, even if there's no immediate, pressing need for cash? How seldom used does a headphone have to be - unless you're a collector - before you let it go?

I do both (keeping and selling/giving). I gave some thought as to why and here is what I came up with.

Reasons to shed (marginal) phones:
  1. tight budget
  2. someone close would likely get more benefit
  3. too similar to another you own
  4. you don't forsee changing enough (gear, taste) to prefer their sound to others you have
  5. worried about others' opinions when they learn how many headphones you own
Reasons to retain (marginal) headphones:
  1. unsure about your opinion, particularly if the headphones have a following
  2. nicely fits a niche, e.g. perfect for occasional plane trips but otherwise not appealing
  3. a standard of comparison, e.g. many head-fi reviews compare a new phone to the HD650 (auditory memory fades)
  4. you are developing your taste preferences in headphones
  5. you foresee acquiring an upstream component that is reputed to have synergy with these phones
  6. difficult to reacquire
  7. it complements your other phones, e.g. perfect for that occasional pipe organ recording
  8. you don't give a darn what others think about the number of headphones you have ("I am comfident that I do not suffer from OCD.")

May 1, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #19 of 56
I keep my Ety-4P, Lambda Pro, HD600, and K701 even though I rarely listen to them. Why should I be so rational here when I'm rarely so rational with everything else? ;o)

May 1, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 56
Marginal phones I don't sell because they're not worth enough to bother. Non-marginal headphones I usually don't sell because I listen to a lot of different headphones every day. So far today, I've listened to UM1, MB QP85, K401, DT880, and Magnavox stats. Once I get home, I'll probably listen to one or two more.

I have sold some canal phones that I was never going to use. I sold a K501 because I had a K400, K401, and K500 and was able to get so much money for the K501 that I felt, why keep it. It's no better than the others I have. I may be selling some in the future that I don't listen to much

May 2, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #21 of 56
I sell them if theyre THAT BAD,,,but if theyre decent sounding, they get added to the collection.
I only sold 2 headphones, AKG K26P, and Sennheiser PMX200,.....because they sound THAT BAD!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

As you can see, ive kept all the ones in my profile so far. Theyre at least decent, or too cheap and not worth selling...lol.

May 2, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 56
Until I get my 50 posts, I will keep them.
(Sigh, 40+ to go!)

After that, I will sell the ones that overlap sonically with other cans that I like more. I really like the idea of having one main can (right now GS1000) and maybe one or two secondary cans with very different sounds that I like but maybe are not so good all-rounders (right now K701).

May 2, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 56
You give them at least a week trying as many different things as you can and of course burning them in. I know for me that when I'm having a slightly off day that anything will sound horrible.
But I think if you kept them long enough that you should sell them. Even $100 is a considerably big chunk of change and should be spent well. You can't just "change your mind" about the sound unless you transform the sound with further investments.

May 2, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 56
I keep them. I want to be able to compare when someone posts about them. I never completely make up my mind about products - I keep open. There's always one thing that sounds unique on even the worst phones. I let friends borrow or use them as monitors in rough locations (I own a production company). And, two of my sons are musicians.

There's lots of reasons to keep them. It's part of the hobby.

May 3, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A practical question:

When you have a headphone or headphones that you marginally like, but don't get a lot of head time, do you tend to keep them or sell them or send them back to the vendor?

Or do you sit on them, "in case", in case your gear changes, your taste changes, your music changes, whatever?

I'm in that position with the Sennheiser HD650 from time to time. I prefer the HD600, or even, for fun, the DT770, but there are just enough cds or cuts that I like the 650s on, that I'm afraid to get rid of them. At the same time, the 650s eat up a potential $200-300 that could be better spent (or saved), whether on music, other gear, or, well, food.

What to do? What do you do, even if there's no immediate, pressing need for cash? How seldom used does a headphone have to be - unless you're a collector - before you let it go?

I keep them unless I really don't like them, or need a quick bucks.. Sold my DT770's.. Didn't like them.. Sold my 701's..Terrible with my DAC1..Sold my 595's.. Needed money.. I actually regret selling my 595's.

May 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 56
I tend to hold on to my headphones for quite a while until something new and exciting comes along.

If I needed the money I would most definitely sell off all of my headphones that don't get a lot of head time.

May 3, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #27 of 56
I don't pass judgement til i've heard hadphones on multiple amps, lots of different styles of music. I know when i started listening critically, it took along time to develop the ear.

Then: The headfi effect is you find a pair that really suits your amp and your music styles, and you buy ... 3 or 4 pairs. You want to try recabling, woodies. That's how i ended up with multiple pairs of DT880's

May 3, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #29 of 56
I keep them. There are a couple I'm not crazy about, but I love the rest. It's also nice to switch up on headphones and amps depending on mood and whim.

Quite a few of mine are out of production or otherwise tough to come by, and I don't want to sell anything I can't replace.

May 4, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #30 of 56
I was going to keep the phones I don't regularly use anymore, but I just decided I am going to sell them. I noticed that I really don't use them anymore now that I found my ideal set up. Also makes it easier to try new phones in the future if the desire should strike...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back