Do you hear voices in pink noise?
Jan 29, 2011 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nizfiz

New Head-Fier
I'm burning in my new Atrio M9s with pink noise, for whatever it's worth... I was listening to the pink noise to establish the roughly around listening volume level, and I started to hear what seemed like a distant voice(s) in the background of all the noise. I wasn't making out any words, or guesses at language or anything like that. It just sort of sounded like people. I tried a few different white noise tracks and generators and I got the same thing. Is my brain playing tricks on me?

The stuff that I found on google did not supply me with the kind of answer I wanted, though at least I'm not alone in this phenomena:
http://www.dream-link.org/spookyplaces/evp.htm

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 17
Long time ago, I had a russian compact cassette player. When it was turned on but didn't play any cassettes I could hear voices too. I think it somehow caught a radio station. Old russian gear, you know...

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 17
One recent study found that people perceive structure in noise pretty easily.  Not saying that this applies to you, but they found that a major factor in people's susceptibility to illusions was the lack of control of their lives.

Certain diseases also tip inductive sensory inference (an integration of sensory and prior information taking place in sensory cortex) too far to the side of the brain's own contributions, like Alzheimer's and schizophrenia.

Don't mean to insult/scare you.  
redface.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #11 of 17
It's just the brain trying to understand something random and applying structure to it by its own imagination.  When I was a kid I was scared of a mylar balloon with a smiley face on it.  I was also scared of this one van because the headlights and the grill invoked feelings that it was a face that was evil.  I never like coming home when no one is home, especially when it's dark, especially going to the basement or attic when no one is home, as I feel someone could have broken in or a demon could be there.  Sometimes there will be random sounds I will hear that the house will make, and my brain will attribute meaning to them and make them sound like a voice, even though the voice says nothing.  Everyone in the world hears voices and has other weird thoughts like that.  To say you don't is a lie.  Just like someone who says they never masturbate.

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
It's just the brain trying to understand something random and applying structure to it by its own imagination. 

The OP's original question may seem amusing at first, but it's quite interesting.

I'm probably less of an audio than a visual person, but I'm easily able to impose structure on random visuals. It's completely normal, and more fascinating the more you examine the subject. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 17
If I look at anything with a pattern my brain literally draws visual lines in my visual field to connect the pattern or show the grain of it.  Kind of hard to explain since it happens visually and it's not a physical thing happening.  My brain is also good at spotting perfect geometry, such as right angles, parallel lines, perfect polygons, etc.  Weird stuff.

Feb 6, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 17
http://www.simplynoise.com/

If you were tired when you were doing this it could have been a hypnagonic hallucination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back