Do you hear the difference? A test
Mar 26, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #77 of 139
Listening to it on my crappy computer speakers (they costed a magnificent 5 euro's per pair) I could tell the difference.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #78 of 139
I really don't understand this. I can hear the difference between my own files of comparable bitrate just fine, but I am completely unable to hear any difference what so ever between these two clips, no matter what equipment I use.

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #80 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What encoder are you using for your files?

Typically older Lame encoded, 128 vs 192. And also 192/320 vs Apple lossless.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #82 of 139
Got it right using Pico and PK1.

After first listen of each, I was 85% sure of the correct answer.

After second "confirmation" listen, I was 60% sure.

I answered based off of my first listen.

Subsequent A/B-ing decreased my percentage. I probably couldn't pick the right one now after the 4th or 5th listen.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #83 of 139
Guess what...? I got it right this time lol
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #85 of 139
Those who couldn't get it right here's a little help.
Most common mp3 artefact is a "metallic", (pitch like) sound which is easier to hear in mid to higher frequencies. I can't explain it better with my ankward english. It's very easy to hear if you listen pavarotti's voice. Also there's a like "flanger" (correct this if you know the right word) effect in cymbals and voice (very usual in digital compression flaw and easily detect on cymbals/hi-hat). It's like a whisper/hissing outside his voice (little left and right from the middle singing position).
Only low-bitrate codec which doesn't suffer these issues so much is old ATRAC3 132kbps, although there's still other compression artefacts.

btw, I also used my onboard audio (gigabyte MB) with tube amp + MS2i.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #86 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got it right using Pico and PK1.

After first listen of each, I was 85% sure of the correct answer.

After second "confirmation" listen, I was 60% sure.

I answered based off of my first listen.

Subsequent A/B-ing decreased my percentage. I probably couldn't pick the right one now after the 4th or 5th listen.

Exactly what happened to me: my first feeling was actually right, but I kept continuing to listen (way more than 5-6 times) and picked the wrong one at the end. The problem is that when I try to check if an artefact is there in one track, I almost always end up finding it in one form or another, and then I'm quite binary about this. And as I found there was some hissing/metallic tone in both recording...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Listening again (after the failure) and knowing what to look for, it's easier to tell the difference - there's definitely some clipping at the end of the track for the 128k one. But then, this is no blind testing anymore...
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #87 of 139
Listen to the orchestra then the orchestra hit. The voice doesn't really reveal the difference that much. The tambourine gives it away, and then the orchestra hit on A is "bom!" and on B it's "SPLAT". Pretty obvious once you listen more than once.

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #88 of 139
Yeah i got it right with my SR60s running out of my onboard. I agreed the better clip sounded fuller and I got more of the lower range background notes during that clip. Not sure if I could do it again though and I have some 128 KBPS stuff on my computer and I feel the quality on that is alot worse than that clip, it's like night and day there.

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #89 of 139
I think I can hear the difference in the voicem at the beginning. At first I though it was my ears doing the metallic sound cause they sorta experienced full line level output through an amp with no pot last night. oppps
redface.gif
I need to pay more attention to what I am doing at times.

Mar 27, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #90 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got it right. I heard a slight difference in the quality of his voice, it was more defined in the first. Beyond that, I just guessed.

Note: I was using some SJ3's, not the best on the market, but not THAT bad.

Same, his voice sounds very slightly difference within the first few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back