Do you have any recommendations for high quality VE Monk style earphones?
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hartleyhare2020

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to find a really high quality VE Monk style of earbud: the type that just hang in the ear without sealing off the outside world.(So without rubber inserts)

I'm currently using a set of Atomic Floyd Airjax Titanium, without the hooks. They're fantastic, but they've stopped making them.

Thanks

(Also, I can't add a photo. It just says There was a problem, please contact Administrator. Is this because I've only just joined?)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm trying to find a really high quality VE Monk style of earbud: the type that just hang in the ear without sealing off the outside world.(So without rubber inserts)

I'm currently using a set of Atomic Floyd Airjax Titanium, without the hooks. They're fantastic, but they've stopped making them.

Thanks

(Also, I can't add a photo. It just says There was a problem, please contact Administrator. Is this because I've only just joined?)
Greetings,
I had a pair of VE Monk earbuds that I loved, but after one year, the plug end of the wires would not maintain a solid connection. Having to wriggle the wire to reestablish stereo is not good. Working with a limited budget I found the Faaeal Snow Lotus 1.0 earbuds for ten bucks on amazon: they sound great and have excellent build quality (so far).

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 4

Thanks

I think you are referring to earbuds?

11230395.jpg

IEMS (picture on the right) sit within the ear canal and hence give a better seal and isolation in general. They tend to give a narrower soundstage as they are sited inside the ear. Though there are some vented or open backed IEMs that don't give as good isolation, but in general they are still better in isolation than earbuds. And cause of the good seal, they allow music to be heard at lower volumes, preserve microdetails and also preserve the bass frequencies, which is the first to be lost in noisy environments.

Earbuds (like the Monk) are the picture on the left where the transducer doesn't really enter the ear canal and give a good seal. Earbuds have their strengths though, such as better soundstage. Most of em have poor subbass quantity/extension due to the lack of seal, though they tend to give quite good timbre in general.

U can ask more at the dedicated headfi thread for earbuds for recommendations, they are pretty helpful: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Though it would be good if u can tell them your budget, preferred music genres and preferred sound signatures so they can fine tune the recommendations.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 4
I think you are referring to earbuds?

11230395.jpg

IEMS (picture on the right) sit within the ear canal and hence give a better seal and isolation in general. They tend to give a narrower soundstage as they are sited inside the ear. Though there are some vented or open backed IEMs that don't give as good isolation, but in general they are still better in isolation than earbuds. And cause of the good seal, they allow music to be heard at lower volumes, preserve microdetails and also preserve the bass frequencies, which is the first to be lost in noisy environments.

Earbuds (like the Monk) are the picture on the left where the transducer doesn't really enter the ear canal and give a good seal. Earbuds have their strengths though, such as better soundstage. Most of em have poor subbass quantity/extension due to the lack of seal, though they tend to give quite good timbre in general.

U can ask more at the dedicated headfi thread for earbuds for recommendations, they are pretty helpful: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/

Though it would be good if u can tell them your budget, preferred music genres and preferred sound signatures so they can fine tune the recommendations.
Yes the left ones. This style is rarer by the year. Budget-wise I'm happy to pay $100 for some decent ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back