Do you guys clean your headphone adapters?
Jul 26, 2009 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mplee79

100+ Head-Fier
This just occurred to me but does anyone here routinely clean headphone connectors/jacks? We spend so much on expensive connectors but what do we do about oxidation and residue buildup?

I guess what i'm asking is: Do we have to maintain our equipment (amp, headphone etc...) in any way shape or form.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 18
good connectors shouldn't oxidize, as they tend to be coated/plated. I'd avoid using the connector to clean your bong. That way, you won't have to worry about residue!

It's always a good idea to clean your headphone pads and headband from time to time. Also, these components may wear and require replacement after a while.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 18
yeah, my fuze has a really finicky headphone jack and add in the fact that the fuze itself has a odd headphone jack yeah.. (dust gets it)

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 18
I clean the pins on my Staxen from time to time.
The pins on the K1000s are hard to reach (4-pin XLR), so I have not cleaned them so far. Some day...

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 18
Plated connects keep oxidisation at bay. I have washed my SR225 doughnuts twice though - warm, soapy water...

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 18
The whole point of having gold plated connectors is that they don't oxidize and need to be cleaned. Silver actually conducts more efficiently, but it does not have the same anti-corrosion properties as gold.

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 18
Very rarely, if at all. No problems with oxidation or dust here.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 18
This thread has reminded me to get some new earpads for my 650s, one is split, not yet severely...

Actually any clue where to get them?[UK]

edit - Sweet found a UK site. http://www.sennheiserspares.com They're English despite the URL.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 18
That's a bit over the top. Most plugs are gold or chrome plated (That's TRS connections, anyways). Unless you can prove that there's a significant degradation of sound quality due to oxidization on the plug, I don't think it's really necessary.

XLR connectors might be different, however. Never seen one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back