Do you grow out of customs?
Jan 31, 2010 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
I see some people making huge investements in their custom iems. I've heard you ears never actually stop growing... Can customs last for ever? Has anyone grown out of their customs?

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 23
nothing last forever (except the laundry in my house it just goes on for ever )

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 23
Yes, you can grow out of customs, in a couple years if you are a teenager, otherwise they are said to last a while, over 4 years.
More likely than growing out of them if you're past your growing years is that they will break physically. In either case, you can get them reshelled for less than $100, provided if they break the drivers and crossovers aren't damaged.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 23
I don't know if there are many of us here who have had customs for 3-4 years or longer that can really answer that question. I've been told the same thing by reputable sources, so I don't doubt that the ear really DOES change over time, even in adults. But to what extent will the change effect your fit? I guess that will be different for each person.

My brother has had some UE10pro and UE-Hybrid customs since 2004, and they still fit him perfectly. He has maintained the same weight (within a 5 pound range) the entire time though. I suspect a fluctuation of 20 pounds or more in either direction might make a difference though. I'm just assuming and of course each person will be different.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3adeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing last forever (except the laundry in my house it just goes on for ever )

lol

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 23
haha (about the laundry) but yea i read somewhere that its around 4 years so.... yea but luckily i guess you can get them reshelled later? but as you can see from a previous post it varies from person to person.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 23
This makes me wonder if it is a good idea to have my TF10's turned to customs. I am 17, should I?

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 23
The thing I noticed is that UE and JHA don't do reshells. Does that mean if I were to buy a pair of JH16s and they stopped fitting in a few years, I'd need an entirely new pair? That'd be a massive bummer, considering it'd just be a new shell.

Of course, by that time, you could upgrade to something else, but my point stands.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 23
I agree with most posts here like d3adeyes, ethan961, project86, and Young Spade. In addition to what they said, armatures only have around a 7 year life span or less depending on how you take care of them. I found this out during an interview I did with a Ultimate Ears representative. If you abuse them by dropping or throwing them down after use, three years might be all you get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes me wonder if it is worth it for people to be buying customs for around $1000. Seems like a huge investment for something with a 4 year life span.

Do an analysis of how many hours you use them daily/monthly/yearly, the enjoyment that you derive from them and then decide for yourself, I’ve already made my investment back in the first year, so it’s been worth it for me as mine get loads of use
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This makes me wonder if it is a good idea to have my TF10's turned to customs. I am 17, should I?

Tuff call that you have to make on your own, if it’s only $80.00 IMHO it’s worth it for the isolation, fit and comfort. But I don’t think customs are for everyone and furthermore are you willing to spend another $80.00 or more when you have to have them redone again if you out grow them?

Edit: BTW, IMO chances are that your armatures will stop working or break before you out grow or damage the shells.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Customs may not be the best direction for you to go since you are still young and growing. You will probably outgrow the customs faster than people who are not still in their growing ages.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 23
i just have to trough this out there. most ppl here have around a grand on there laptops, or more for you mac users. you are lucky to get 4 years out of a laptop they generally will last around 2 years or so. a desktop can make it to the 4 year mark but by that time u have upgraded it, or repaired it, enough to buy a new one. we do this with a lot of the things we use over time if it is something we will use and enjoy it is defiantly worth it.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 23
I think it's a trade off.

Customs
1-3 years (sometimes more) of better sound, better cable, better isolation, and etc..
VS
Universal
1-5 (sometimes more) resalable, universal.

or if you're a Shure or Westone owner
UM56
1-3 years (sometimes more) better sound, better isolation, resalable, universal and etc..

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 23
in all truth the human body changes every 7 years or so (this is where the 7 year itch comes from ) it is physical and emotional as well as the 5 senses, that's why you didn't like the taste or texture of a food as a kid but now enjoy it as an adult. as someone who needs to be fitted for new hearing aids every few years i can tell you that indeed your ears do change shape (mostly from muscle-skeletal changes, we lose it as we get older) so yes I was trying to be funny but also spoke the truth in that nothing will last forever but if it brings you pleasure then go for it you are only young once

Users who are viewing this thread

Back