Do you go beyond the mainstream?
Nov 28, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I only tend to listen to mainstream music coincidentally, which is to say that I don't really consume mainstream media, so I wouldn't know how 'popular' my music choices are. I guess my opinion that most of my friends music is garbage would indicate that I probably listen to artists outside the mainstream. I know I'm rarely a fan of anything near a 'top 40'...

So here's a little list of abums from my iTunes (mainstream app, I know
smily_headphones1.gif
) 'recently played' list so you can decide and let me know...

Ginnungagap - Remeindre
The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - Two Live Tracks
Latitudes - Agonist
The Mercury Program - Chez Viking
Grails - Take Refuge In Clean Living
Grails - Burning Off Impurities
Black Math Horseman - Wyllt
Baroness - Blue Record
Meniscus - Meniscus
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway
Bohren & der Club Of Gore - Sunset Mission
The Dead Weather - Horehound
Pelican - What We All Come To Need
Tides - Resurface
Morphine - Yes

I guess some of it's a bit mainstream.

ive never heard of any of those bands or albums, so i think youre doing pretty good dude
L3000.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never listen to the radio. In fact, I detest it. It's like browsing without AdBlock to only the websites you hate.

Beautifully said.
(in fact, I could replace "the radio" with several other words)

But... half of what I listen to is gleaned from Head-Fi posts. Is that mainstream?

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And just because something might be so-called "mainstream" doesn't have to mean it's bad, either. In one respect, a lot of things are mainstream precisely because... people like it!
wink.gif

Like Pink Floyd, their awesome, everybody loved them, its what inspired Johnny Rotten to wear his famous "I Hate Pink Floyd" T-Shirt

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #21 of 40
I basically go by the rule that if I like how it sounds, I'll listen to it, mainstream or not. So I do have some songs and bands that would be considered 'mainstream', though not too many.

I loathe the radio and have my iPod and PortaPros at the ready if the need ever arises. So in that way, I guess you can say I listen to mainstream like I take my medicine: In small, reasonable doses
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 40
I'm sometimes a little over-adventurous with my music endeavors. I figured out the other day that I'm in it for the hunt. You can bet what I'll be doing on a Tuesday afternoon. That's right. I'll be sitting there with my computer, with Amazon and Zune Marketplace open, listening to a snippet of any album that looks remotely interesting to me. My wife laughs at me because I'll often listen to an album once and never again. I'm extremely ADD with my music tastes, and am constantly looking for new, amazing artists outside the mainstream. My search has led me to several "non-mainstream" artists:

Angie Aparo
Rachael Yamagata
Bon Iver (yes, in my area of the world, this is far from mainstream)
Isan
Jon Hopkins
Rodrigo Y Gabriela
The Weepies
Whitley
Winston Jazz Routine

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 40
Nov 30, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautifully said.
(in fact, I could replace "the radio" with several other words)

But... half of what I listen to is gleaned from Head-Fi posts. Is that mainstream?

you all say 'the radio', but don't you have different stations to choose from, It can't be all bad.

Sure, we've got some of the same crap over here too, but then there are other stations (esp. one) that's pure gold.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you all say 'the radio', but don't you have different stations to choose from, It can't be all bad.

Sure, we've got some of the same crap over here too, but then there are other stations (esp. one) that's pure gold.

Nope, we in fact have two HOURS per week on one single station that is worth a damn, the other 164 hours on that station and the other 25 stations are corporate-to-a-fault/follow-the-leader/lowest-common-denominator types.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, it can be all bad! Pretty much all the stations around here are pop/soft rock/corporate stations. Of the couple that aren't one is a jazz station, which would be good except that they have the broadest definition of jazz I've ever heard which makes it useless; A rock/metal station that tags itself as being bad*ss, but the most bad*ss band they play is Metallica and need I say more there; and a family friendly christian station, again need I say more. All in all very boring stuff. Plus commercial interruptions...No thanks.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by theHof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like Pink Floyd, their awesome, everybody loved them, its what inspired Johnny Rotten to wear his famous "I Hate Pink Floyd" T-Shirt

I don't think he was probably a *huge* pink floyd fan, despite what he may have said later. I mean, let's face it, pink floyd sounds a little goofy when compared with the raw energy of that early punk scene. I think he was just trying to wake people up out of that "class rock slumber," you know, "pink floyd! led zeppelin! pink floyd! led zeppelin!" it's like the only 2 bands most people seemed to know, like the pinnacle to them of everything "rock." Johnny Rotten was just trampling some sacred cows underfoot in the process to give them a little wake up smack in the face.
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 40
I think I am beginning to like stuff more and more outside of "the mainstream." I have definitely opened up to many new genres of music in my journey towards being an audiophile.

I don't listen to the radio, per say. I listen to select satellite radio stations. One of my favorites being AltNation, it is 21 on Sirius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back