Do you give people money when they ask for it?
Jun 17, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #61 of 78
I have; however, if I'm eventually elected King of the Earth, I'll round up the majority of beggars, ne'er-do-wells, reprobates, and gutter pukes, along with the types who riot after a basketball or soccer game, and I'll set them all adrift in the Horse Latitudes with 4oz. of water, half a sleeve of crackers and one blow up doll.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am greatly offended that there are beggars on the streets. I had hoped that the centre left government elected in 2007 would have done something about it, but now realise i was expecting too much. After all there are no votes in the homeless. Many people in Australia have this idea that there are deserving recipients of welfare (like themselves) and undeserving recipients (like the homeless and aboriginals etc). Sad to say, but its people like this who decide the balance of power.

I will try to keep the political aspect benign so as to not break the rules too bad, but unfortunately no matter how left a society goes, there will ALWAYS be homeless people. There are many reasons for this (most too far in the political realm), but it is an unfortunate fact.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have; however, if I'm eventually elected King of the Earth, I'll round up the majority of beggars, ne'er-do-wells, reprobates, and gutter pukes, along with the types who riot after a basketball or soccer game, and I set them all adrift in the Horse Latitudes with 4oz. of water, half a sleeve of crackers and one blow up doll.

Well it is a good thing that you did not promise a horse for each as we all know those would go to waste (well maybe not for the fish in the sea...)
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #63 of 78
Regarding the stories of ''thieving beggars'' (not sure what else to call them) It's really pathetic that people prey on generosity of others like this. Why is this sort of thing not illegal? I see absolutely NO distinction between doing this, cheating on your taxes to avoid paying them, or embezelling from your employer. These guys probably don't even pay taxes but that's beside the point :p Why isn't this a federal crime? Sure it's harder to prove but that hasn't stopped them on all sorts of other laws. If I had my way on the whole King of the Earth thing I would make this a crime punishable by death without trial. The world needs to be rid of scum like this and the only way to do so is to teach the lesson the hard way through example. Unfortunately they don't seem to be learning that it's wrong any way else, since it's such a lucrative career path and such easy marks...

Oh speaking of which, when I was going to Hollywood Mental Health Center there was a guy with Bipolar that had lost everything due to reckless actions, which those were due to the illness. He panhandled on the highway or whatever and made 9$ in one hour. That's twice the minimum wage in some states...

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #64 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the stories of ''thieving beggars'' (not sure what else to call them) It's really pathetic that people prey on generosity of others like this. Why is this sort of thing not illegal? I see absolutely NO distinction between doing this, cheating on your taxes to avoid paying them, or embezelling from your employer. These guys probably don't even pay taxes but that's beside the point :p Why isn't this a federal crime? Sure it's harder to prove but that hasn't stopped them on all sorts of other laws. If I had my way on the whole King of the Earth thing I would make this a crime punishable by death without trial. The world needs to be rid of scum like this and the only way to do so is to teach the lesson the hard way through example. Unfortunately they don't seem to be learning that it's wrong any way else, since it's such a lucrative career path and such easy marks...

Oh speaking of which, when I was going to Hollywood Mental Health Center there was a guy with Bipolar that had lost everything due to reckless actions, which those were due to the illness. He panhandled on the highway or whatever and made 9$ in one hour. That's twice the minimum wage in some states...

World is full of lies.

An example:A digital camera maker advertises their products in a way like this:14 megapixel super quality images,20x super perfect lens,iso 3200 high quality night photos and much more b******t.Why is this not illegal?

All the marketing tricks are also very #$@
mad.gif
$%@#% in my opinion because they are telling lies because most people don't know and believe only in "wow numbers"

Why no goverments do something about this?

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #65 of 78
I see your point but they are different forms of abuse. Companies exist for two reasons, to provide a product or service, and to generate income. If you can tweak the specs a bit without outright lying and thus encourage the growth of your company, it may be, and/or is, unethical, but it's not IMO immoral. A better example if we are using the business model analogy is if a pharmaceutical company said "Hey man, we have this new drug and we really need people to try it, it's no big deal it's just some testing because it needs to get done this week. Please can you be a test subject and help us out? You'll be saving hundreds of lives once the medication is approved and goes live." -- knowing full well that the active ingredient still has a 10% mortality rate in its current testing phase. Before you say that some companies do this, I am aware of that, but (in theory) they are held accountable and there are laws against this. Violations of human rights, violations of business practices and international law, violatioins of environmental laws, business ethics etc etc. Why do these laws and social constructs not apply to the exact same type of thuggery that is simply on a smaller scale?

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #66 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I certainly help a fellow out if I have cash. But living fully of debit/credit cards I rarely do.
With exceptions to those who clearly beg for a living (drug addicts, gipsies, ...), which do not get a dime from me.

My sentiments exactly.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #67 of 78
Being that I work on the railroad as a Locomotive Engineer we get all kinds of people trying to hitch rides on trains. Over the 37 yrs. that I've worked on the railroad there's no telling how much money and food I have given away. I don't mind sharing with people in need.

David

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by bear7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being that I work on the railroad as a Locomotive Engineer we get all kinds of people trying to hitch rides on trains. Over the 37 yrs. that I've worked on the railroad there's no telling how much money and food I have given away. I don't mind sharing with people in need.

David

Yes, that may be a different ballpark though. I would assume most people "hitching" on trains would probably not be addicts or 'cheating' (see above posts) beggars. Although I may be fully wrong on that
wink.gif

I really dislike the whole situation, because there's plenty of people that genuinely can't work for one reason or another, or are geniunely in a tight spot, but sometimes it's hard to spot them from the cheaters. I guess the best policy is to just eyeball them, feel out the situation, and try to offer something other than cash as a 'test' of sorts. I also have no problem helping people out but I will try offering things other than money in the future... I hate the idea that i'm helping someone score drugs by giving them a few bucks
frown.gif
I've had problems with drugs in that past, so I know what it can be like but having people feed your habit is the absolute last thing you need.

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #69 of 78
I voted no, the only time I would if it was a friend of mine, in which case all is good, as they'll just get the next coffee etc, and it all evens itself out.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #70 of 78
i'll buy them a sandwich and/or a hot drink if they are homeless/beggars or maybe even give them a cigarette* but I don't dish out cash.

I want my "donation" to help them in some small way, and not go towards buying alcohol or hard drugs.

* Cigarettes aren't particularly good for you, but i've yet to hear of anyone turning to crime or losing their home as a result of nicotine addiction

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted no, the only time I would if it was a friend of mine, in which case all is good, as they'll just get the next coffee etc, and it all evens itself out.

Of course, friends and family is very important. I never have any problem lending to family no matter the situation, and you shouldn't expect it back. Lending to friends is similar, although usually I expect it back, depending on the context. You still need to be careful though, unfortunately. Generally speaking you can rely on family to be there for you financially and otherwise, and pay you back if they can, but some friends aren't as close as you think they are. My 'friend' Zach owes me over 1500$ in cash and items which I will unlikely see back. That was probably about 50/50 - my bad decisions and naivety, but also his lack of care and willingness to return the favor(s).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* Cigarettes aren't particularly good for you, but i've yet to hear of anyone turning to crime or losing their home as a result of nicotine addiction

LOL, good point.

This isn't really related per se, but i've read that income and level of education is directly related to the percentage and amount of cigarette usage. Don't really understand what that's all about...

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #72 of 78
Can't vote because you didn't have 'sometimes' option. Sometimes I give a little bit but mostly not. I do leave my empty beer bottles and pop bottles out back beside the dumpster bin because I know homeless people go through those every day so it is my indirect way of helping a bit.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #73 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had an experience yesterday in which I was taking out the trash & recycling, and a gentleman approached me looking distraught/deperate and said he's looking to get a couple bucks for gas for his car.

Usually I will grab a few dollars or change and give it over; after all it's only a bit of money and i've been in those situations myself a few times. Actually just recently I didn't have enough for bus fare and the guy i'd been chatting with @ the bus-stop paid for me.

Anyway, since I pay most things with Credit these days, all I had on me was a 20. I gave it to him and he was very grateful of course
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't usually do that (see #2 below)but was feeling generous for some reason.

So:
1)If someone asks for a few dollars for bus fare, gas or whatever, do you give it to them?
2)If you only had a larger bill like a 10 or 20, would you give them that or say that you only have the bigger bill and can't help them? (or say you have no money on you at all)

I am very curious since i've done #2 many times and want to see what the status quo is on this sort of thing!

Cheers
beerchug.gif

I've heard of the gas can trick plenty of times. I usually won't give money in that situation because its hard to tell if they are being honest or not. I would offer to go fill the can for him rather than give money.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #74 of 78
i put down no, however most of the time I am willing to go buy them a sandwich or something like that.

I've noticed that most of the time people who ask for money just want it for drugs or alcohol so if they are really hungry and honest about it they would not say no to food if they want to use the money for food. Otherwise, I'm not helping them at all by giving them money for drugs or alcohol or whatever.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #75 of 78
Hi! my first post here
regular_smile .gif

I believe I am a very generous person, sometimes too generous that I feel already abused. Now, I learn how to limit my generosity. I prefer giving them food, used clothes etc. And now, I have "emergency coins" with me all the time..hehehe
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back