Do you find Snickers commercial to be offensive?
Jul 26, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought they were funny.

Seems like the gay community is pretty active. I don't mean to threadjack, it seemed relevant.

No probs, I have to say that I found out about the Mr. T speed walk while watching CNN a few days ago. They had a report about it and I checked it out on youtube. What is going on between CNN and gay rights?

Now this Nike ad leaves me perplex. If I haven't read your link before seeing this picture would I have seen the issue raised by the gay community? I seriously don't know, but now it is the only thing I am seeing
eek.gif

Now I do I find it disturbing and I do feel taking it off is the better decision not only for the gay community.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another Snickers commercial causes controversy, featuring my childhood hero Mr. T shooting a speed walker with a Snickers loaded gattling gun shouting "Fool" (like always) "Walk like a man" and "Get some nuts" (as in snickers) at the end.

Speed walker video

This is the second time a Snickers commercial has offended the gay community after the Super Bowl one.

Super Bowl

Yes I do find it offensive but to the Speed Walker community, it is an olympic sport and for having tried it a couple times, I rather run a marathon than speed walk 10 km. I also find it hillarious, well I guess I am biased cause I love Mr. T. I asked a gay couple that I am friends with and they find it funny and they hate speed walkers and find them annoying when they jog.

Another funny Mr. T Snickers commercial, I love it when he throws the Snickers at his face. He should be footbal/soccer referee for the Italian league and Italian national team. This is kinda offensive for Italian football players.
smily_headphones1.gif

Link

edit: For those who didn't know the speed walking and kissing commercial were both pulled from the air due to the complaint from the gay community. Both were considered homophobic.

I'm offended Mr T was your childhood hero -- also using delicious Snickers bars as amo is a problem for me too. Tasty things should not be soiled like this and used to promote violence.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #19 of 45
Pretty funny. We need more commercials and main-stream stuff like that.

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #24 of 45
I can see how these ads are offensive to some people, I also think it's a really poor way to position Snickers.

I'm tired of marketers insinuating that their products are "manly" and that their use will enhance or establish ones masculinity. This is only an attempt to manipulate people by preying on insecurities with their own sense of masculinity and a desire to conform to group norms. We have left the era of queer eye for the straight guy and now have a new message being pushed at us as to what it is to be a "manly". I don't think it's something you can just buy.

Unfortunately the ad in question portrays an activity outside of what ever todays "group norm" as being a target for harassment and ridicule, that's offensive.

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #25 of 45
What I find offensive and worrisome is people considering Mr T driving around in a tank and shooting candy bars from a gatling gun a serious model of manliness and masculinity.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 45
I'm sorry but I did not see a man having sex with, or fantasizing about, another man in the ad. Therefore, I am not at liberty to conjecture about the subject's sexual orientation. Now, if members of the gay community want to stereotype themselves, then it takes the issue out of my hands.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 45
I know a lot of gay people, and I think it's a generational thing. A lot of the older generation grew up wondering if they would be killed if they showed their true colors. For the newer generation, they know that some people still consider their behavior taboo, but at least they also see some positive acceptance. It's not at all surprising to me that some of the older generation get offended more easily.

As a straight guy with a sense of humor, I thought the car repair commercial was utterly hilarious and VERY true to life. I grew up in a fairly blue collar area and had something similar happen. In high school, me and a few of my friends went out and got loaded; we did what most Midwestern kids do when they're loaded... drive around in their cars and try to pick up some girls. We got a couple of girls who liked free beer and pot to hang out with us. Me and my friend were in the back seat with a real hottie between us. Smooth operator that I was, I decided to do the "Hey, baby, is that my hand on your leg?" move. I was really stoked that this girl (who was honestly out of my league) decided to reciprocate by holding my hand. I was a bit shy at that age and just kind of looked ahead while we held hands for a few minutes. Then it hit me... her hand sure was hairy for a girl! I started to pull away, at which time my friend on the other side of said hottie looked over. I'll never forget the look on his face when he realized that he'd been holding my hand the whole time--apparently he had the same lame ass move that I used. He went white. There was just an understanding between us that we would never speak of this moment.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 45
If anything is offensive, it is the unspoken assertion that if you are engaged in any kind of unusual behavior, you must be a homosexual too. The ad played hard on that. Snickers from a Gatling gun were stoopid, not funny. Perhaps the saddest thing is that Mr T will never be more than just that...
frown.gif

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back