Do you ever recommend headphones you've never listen to?
Nov 9, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
If I go by the overwhelming opinion on the A900 for instance, I'd think it's the greatest headphone in its price range and would give the Senn 600, Grado 225 a run for the money if not outright beating them. After hearing them I found they were highly over-rated and weren't even close to being in the same class as the other two. That and other experiences are why I won't recommend equipment which I've never heard.

Hmmm, people have different opinions, you know...

I honestly don't think the HD580s/HD600s are in a separate class from the ATH-A900s...they just sound different.

Personally, my ears prefer the ATH-A900s.

Currently listening to: "The Crowd" by Operation Ivy

Nov 10, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #47 of 76
I think I may have misinterpreted this thread. I guess my answer should be "no" because I've never recommended (in a positive way) any headphones that I have not heard.

Nov 10, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #48 of 76
this community is active enough that i never feel compelled to suggest that which i haven't heard simply because i know in a short while someone who has actually heard the product in question will reply. i also abstain from commenting on products that i haven't owned because i don't know whether or not i can get a good grasp on the overall experience in such a short time (and as before someone who actually does own the product will probably reply anyway).

the worst case scenario where no one replies to a thread for some reason, i'd likely give the original poster links to people who have experience with the product in question, should they exist. if the language of this poll is taken more literally, i would never "recommend" a headphone i haven't heard.

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #49 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
I voted "yes" only because I find it nearly impossible to address some questions asked on these forums without in one way, shape, or form talking about a product that I'm not directly familiar with. Yet, to not reply to such questions would be to pass up an opportunity to be helpful based on what I do know about.

Although Wayne changed his vote to "No", I don't believe that he's changed his opinion on his earlier statement (partially quoted above, with which I am in agreement). As mentioned, providing second/third-hand information is helpful because it usually offers a broader and more comprehensive perspective on the topic, regardless of whether said information supports one's argument or gives a dissenting viewpoint.

Few people (perhaps none?) in this forum have personally heard every piece of equipment or every possible combination of said equipment, therefore it shouldn't be a surprise to know that people will often bolster their limited first-hand experiences (read: opinions) with such info. In actual practice, this shouldn't be a problem... as long as we're under the assumption that this information is not passed off as "the gospel truth", and that the recipient is aware of this fact.

It has been related in countless forum posts not to blindly trust what we read here. After all, one person's review is still merely his/her own opinion. Personally, I don't put much weight on someone else's opinion unless I can verify his/her findings myself. Conversely, I don't believe that others should put much weight into what I recommend, unless they've verified that I've had first-hand experience (or at least really compelling second-hand/third-hand knowledge) of what I'm talking about... which is why I voted "No" in this poll. However, I won't offhandedly discount any second-hand info that I hear or read. If the reasoning (if any) behind the info is sound, then it merits investigation. If not, then one needs to do further research. Doing otherwise is a sign of closemindedness.

D.

Nov 10, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #50 of 76
Jebus. H. Christ. The "D" is back.
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #51 of 76
I'll be honest, I have recommended phones that I have not heard. But only if the overwhelming majority agrees on it's sonics and uses. You know the common "Senns are good for classical/Grados are good for rock/dt880s are good for female vocals" type stuff, especially before I actually spent enough time with them to form my own opinion. But when I did, it was pretty much dead-on. I've never *intentionally* made anyone think I have heard this or that, no in-depth or anything. Plus, I usually use "most people think . . . would be good for that genre" type wording so that readers know I don't have first-hand experience. But I'm sure I've made some mistakes regarding this, I'm only human. Besides it's better to give someone an idea of what to get, instead of just leaving them hanging. In most cases.

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I was just wondering what percentage of people are willing to recommend something they have never heard before and if people have any issues with this.

That would be impossible. I might suggest headphones I have not heard that should be sought out as well though of and that should be considered for a particular application, but this is not a recommendation. I always recommend that headphones be demonstrated with the other components that will be employed.

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #53 of 76
I will only recommend phones that I have auditioned on decent systems from now on. I might suggest things like the Sennheiser PX-100, which I haven't heard yet, to total newbies (e.g. my brother), for instance... too bad (for his wallet) he already loves my Alessandros.

Regarding "blind" purchases, or purchasing without audition: I think it's okay if you have spent a long time doing your research. I bought my Alessandros after about a year of research. Just make sure you can finance it and have an exit strategy (e.g. sell/trade).

Nov 10, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #54 of 76
I made a personal rule to not recommend something I have never listened to. IMHO lotta gossip can start that way. I think I recommended SR-60s to someone in one of my posts, shame on me... havent done it again.

Nov 10, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #55 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
If I go by the overwhelming opinion on the A900 for instance, I'd think it's the greatest headphone in its price range and would give the Senn 600, Grado 225 a run for the money if not outright beating them. After hearing them I found they were highly over-rated and weren't even close to being in the same class as the other two. That and other experiences are why I won't recommend equipment which I've never heard.

Fair enough, I'll get my coat then
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Then again, I dont think you'd get me to agree that the A900 is the best mid-fi headphone either
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #56 of 76
It's not exactly a horrible idea to take the impressions one has gotten from reading a million reviews and relay those impressions to other people. On a personal level, sure nothing beats ACTUALLY having tried them. But to say you've heard 9 out of 10 people say "these headphones have great *insert frequency* and sound great with *insert genre* but don't do *insert genre* as well as *insert other headphone* but are good/bad for the money".

I think where some people get confused is they think that when someone recommends something they HAVE to have had experience with them, which i don't think is true. Because even if they have, that's just THEIR experience. And relaying one experience isn't always as good as relaying 9 or 10, even if they weren't your own.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #57 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
It's not exactly a horrible idea to take the impressions one has gotten from reading a million reviews and relay those impressions to other people. On a personal level, sure nothing beats ACTUALLY having tried them. But to say you've heard 9 out of 10 people say "these headphones have great *insert frequency* and sound great with *insert genre* but don't do *insert genre* as well as *insert other headphone* but are good/bad for the money".

I think where some people get confused is they think that when someone recommends something they HAVE to have had experience with them, which i don't think is true. Because even if they have, that's just THEIR experience. And relaying one experience isn't always as good as relaying 9 or 10, even if they weren't your own.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just don't see the point of relaying info if there is already a search function. Even then, even if someone says 9 out of 10 people said this or that, how many of those 9 people haven't heard the can and are just relaying infomation? I mean if someone posts a review and says Can X is good for rock, then you have someone else saying Can X is good for rock, then someone reads that and recommends that can as well for rock. The point i'm trying to make is that when infomation is constantly relayed, it can seem to give more value to the impressions of one or a few people and make things appear to be "truth" when they actually aren't. Isn't this how alot of the FOTM stuff happens?

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I just don't see the point of relaying info if there is already a search function. Even then, even if someone says 9 out of 10 people said this or that, how many of those 9 people haven't heard the can and are just relaying infomation? I mean if someone posts a review and says Can X is good for rock, then you have someone else saying Can X is good for rock, then someone reads that and recommends that can as well for rock. The point i'm trying to make is that when infomation is constantly relayed, it can seem to give more value to the impressions of one or a few people and make things appear to be "truth" when they actually aren't. Isn't this how alot of the FOTM stuff happens?

Because it saves the person from reading through alot of stuff they don't NEED to read through. If you want to know if X headphone has good bass, then no need to go through a 30 minute in depth review to find out.
wink.gif

As for the "how many of the 9 out of 10 are just relaying information"... I think you have to take people's words to a point. You're not going to ask for proof that everyone has tried such and such headphones and what their experiences and credentials are. But i've spent hours upon hours reading reviews on Ecoustics and Head-Fi. And i'm talking about the "30 minute in depth reviews" kind. When you see 10-20 reviews stating "these headphones are GREAT for rock". Chances are, those headphones WILL be great for rock.

And, to a point, you're correct. I think it would be best if people would say that "i've heard from so many people/reviews that these headphones have these qualities". But then add that you yourself haven't heard them (which i do) so people couldn't include you as a reference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #59 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax

smily_headphones1.gif

But when I ask a question about a headphone I don't want a bunch of second-hand responses. I could have just used the search engine to find what people have said in the past. I want well-informed opinions.

Maybe it's time for a companion poll, asking readers if they want second hand answers?

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
But when I ask a question about a headphone I don't want a bunch of second-hand responses. I could have just used the search engine to find what people have said in the past. I want well-informed opinions.

Maybe it's time for a companion poll, asking readers if they want second hand answers?

Once again, you head-fiers... Too touchy.

When i "recommend" something based on what i've heard/read, second hand or not, i'm not GAINING anything from it. I'm telling the person the feelings i get from reading all of these reviews on a product. You say "well that's useless when you can use the search function"... but if a person wants to know one detail, i can say "well, MOST of the reviews i read felt this way about it".

Sorry, but there's no harm in that. If the person i'm giving this information to doesn't want to take a "second hand" opinion - which in reality could be just as useful as a "first hand" opinion - seriously, then that's up to them to decide. But knowledge is knowledge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back