Do you ever recommend headphones you've never listen to?
Nov 9, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #31 of 76
And just for the record, I heard both, and the R10 kicks the Qualia's butt
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #32 of 76
Sort of. I would recommend Grados of the phones in the Grado lineup based on my experiences with the SR-80s, but with the qualification that the SR-80s is the only one I have direct experience with and the others are assumed to be very similar. Similarly, I would recommend the HD580s and HD650s while having only listened to the HD600s for an extended period of time, and there I would add the qualification as well. And I would absolutely recommend against the EX-51s based on my experience with my second pair of EX-71s.
tongue.gif

~KS

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #33 of 76
I think one of the problems with recommending something you've never heard is that it can distort how many people seem to like something. For example, if a few people said something is amazing, say the Bose Triports, then you have everyone saying they heard that they were good, or just plain saying the Triports are great without mentioning they've never heard them. It seems sometimes that if people are told something enough times, they will take it as fact. And in the headfi world, I find things are more subjective than concrete. I also do not see any value in telling someone that so and so said this because if they wanted to know what so and so said, they could use the search function. I'm not trying to be a troll or anything, but it seems to me, that we could better see how a product tends to be perceived if people only recommend things they've heard.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #34 of 76
perhaps folks that are recommending cans that they've never heard are suggesting instead.
you might not have ever listened to a particular pair of cans but you might be familiar with their characteristics to suggest them for consideration.
as an example, mister X says he's looking for some cans and he listens to lots of jazz and classical. a lot of people have stated that the sennheiser HD580 are excellent for those genres of music. i won't literally recommend them but i'll suggest that the seeker consider them as an option.
i guess there just seems to be a gray area between recommending and suggesting on this forum.

i guess i would sum it up by saying that if you've never listened to a piece of audio equipment than only suggest it. don't recommend it.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #35 of 76
No. To do so would be akin to playing a game of broken telephone, and that is how myths and misconceptions become fact. Half-truths, mis-quotes, and even outright bad info become truth if repeated often enough, and it's all to easy to fall into the trap of "it's good because everyone else says so". I refuse to be part of this, and that's also why the 2nd line in my sig is there. I've heard way too many "truths" here and in other audio places which turned out to be complete BS.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #36 of 76
No. Everything I recommend I have heard and usually owned. I just don't think you can offer opinions about stuff you've never heard. This would make them assumptions and I don't do that.

Nov 9, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #37 of 76
All the time. I hear certain things about phones around here to the point where I can just recommend them on the fly based on the person I'm talking to's needs. Like my buddy, who I recommended a pair of A900's to. He got the V6's instead and likes them. I thought they were OK, not my sound, but strong bass. I also regularly recommend the Grado 225's around here, even though I only own a pair of SR-80's. I know they will like them because it is, after all, a better version of my SR-80's but sharing the same sound characteristics.

Nov 9, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
I think it's fine as long as you give your qualifications:

If you say:" I've read alot of good things about the ------," then you're simply passing on that info to the person posting. No harm done.

If you say: "-------- is a great can, just what you're looking..." when your opinion is based solely on what you've read on the net, then you do the community a disservice, IMO and tarnish your own credibility.

But there's a big difference between the 2 above examples.

Exactly. When I speak of headphones I've never listened to, I try to qualify those statements and let the reader know that my thoughts are based on what I've read, not personal experience.

I don't think it's a bad thing for someone who has never heard a Grado phone to say (based on research in these forums), "Well if you prefer a bright and forward-sounding headphone, and you mainly listen to rock, Grado is a great choice." because even people who have listened to or owned Grados and do not like the sound signature will say the same thing. A person that prefers Senns will still usually readily admit that Grados excel for rock but lack some of the qualities that they prefer in Senns.

I just think it's important to qualify your statements. If you've never heard a headphone, say so. Add a small disclaimer saying that your opinion is based on what you've read or heard. Don't just blindly say "The AKG K 501 would be perfect for you due to its clarity and bass that doesn't offend." when you've never heard it.

Nov 9, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #40 of 76
No. I do not personally recommend that which I have not heard. There are times however when I will recommend the individual posing the question toward a person with ears I trust that has in fact heard the apparatus in question.

/trying to make a really long sentence!
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #41 of 76
To be honest I think its usually clear when someone has or has not heard something. I still think there is nothing wrong with suggesting something if you have not heard it if the overwhelming opinion is that they would be suitable for the given use.

Obviously thats different if someone talks in depth about something they have not heard, but to be honest I cant remember ever having read such a post.

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #43 of 76
When it comes to gear I haven't heard I'd at most suggest someone to look up info about something I think might be suitable to see if that's what they're looking for. To really recommend them personally without even a decent first impression of said gear, I find to be a disservice to the person who asked for opinions as you really don't know what you're recommending. Of course the opposite is equally bad, when people start bashing things they've hardly tried at all. If both of these things could be minimized it would improve the forums considerably IMO.

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #44 of 76
All the time, although I shouldn't.

Most of the time it's due to the fact that I've listened to the alternative and hated it. Thus, I proceed to recommend a headphone I've never listened to because I imagine that it couldn't possibly be worse than the alternative.

Currently listening to: "Hoboken" by Operation Ivy on my Px-100s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I was just wondering what percentage of people are willing to recommend something they have never heard before and if people have any issues with this.

Nov 9, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I still think there is nothing wrong with suggesting something if you have not heard it if the overwhelming opinion is that they would be suitable for the given use.

If I go by the overwhelming opinion on the A900 for instance, I'd think it's the greatest headphone in its price range and would give the Senn 600, Grado 225 a run for the money if not outright beating them. After hearing them I found they were highly over-rated and weren't even close to being in the same class as the other two. That and other experiences are why I won't recommend equipment which I've never heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back