Do you ever get those periods when.........
Dec 11, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #16 of 51
I am in a perpetual state of depression. I just hate being away from my family. I miss the comforts of home. The simplicty and relaxing felling of just lounging in the summer. At home I can vent. Here not much so. I have no outlet the funnel my frustrations. I just bottle it up and have a feeling not of self pity but an immense loathing of my self. I pick at flaws until they are ravaged and exposed like open wounds.

Then I found head-on. Applied directly to the forehead. head-on applied directrly to the forhead. Head-on Applied directrly to the forehead. Head-on.

lolz :p

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I've mentioned this before and sorry to keep whining on but there MUST be a way out of this swamp?

yes there is...

first off I think you may need some motivation, pick up a copy of Anthony robbins "get the edge" program. every one of my workers have and I have seen great success out of them..actually three left my company and started their own.

second if this has been happening in a span of weeks on weeks then I would say it's depression. if it has been happening just recently then its a form of SAD. either way you may look into finding a good (on your level) psychologist.
you don't have to be messed up to see a good (again on your level) psychologist at all, a good one to you will not only give you a outside look at yourself but will usually come up with ways or put yourself in words that you will understand and can easily "fix".

actually I lost one cd out of the get the edge program..Think I need to listen to that again sometime soon..

there is lots of ways out of the swamp your in, but talking from personal learning don't just put it off, this is a time you can easily make yourself a better person ten fold. also dont just go to a general doctor and jump on the pill's..they help for the time but they will never let you firgure out the outside reasons (body wise) and will never movitvate you...

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by puiah11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classic signs of depression.

Depression usually sets in after you encounter an anger producing situation and you feel you are helpless to affect any change.

Are you in a situation like that? What can you do to avoid further anger producting confrontations? How will you find peace?

I've dealt with people who are depressed before. There's chronic and acute depression. Hopefully you're in the acute boat. It'll pass. It takes time.

Try writing down what makes you angry and getting it all out. Then wait a while and then consider sending that to the person who makes you angry so you can have closure.

Closure is very important. If you don't have closure you'll be forced to replay the incident in your head ad nauseum, which will just make you more angry.

If the person who makes you mad cannot accept responsibility then legal options may be able to give you closure.

Seek closure.

Good reply, however I think he's depressed because he's stuck in a rut. Pink you don't seem like an angry guy, you just sound bored and you're not sure what to do. You should do what every man does to occupy himself with every so often... BUILD SOMETHING
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #19 of 51
If this is new to you, then.. mid-life crisis?

For me it's a little bit worse. I'm only 17 and have been sufferring from manic depression, ADD, and obsessive-compulsive disorder since young. The depression was made worse by the prescription drug Concerta, meant to treat my ADD. The psychiatrist just happened to leave out the long-term effect of depression when he gave the drugs. It did get better when I found out Concerta caused it, though (I know because right after taking the drugs, I got very withdrawn from friends because I felt like I was in the blues all the time).

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #20 of 51
Sounds like classic signs of...you know it.

I've been struggling with that type of thing for several years now, ever since I realized that all the choices in life I'd made up to that point wasn't really mine, and was leading me in a direction further and further away from what I'd be satisfied with.

A lot of helpful, optimistic posts here. But personally, right now I'm kind of in a bad position, and I don't really have hope. As everyone said, yes, there are ways to get out of the swamp you speak of, but it's hard to do - since once you're stuck in that sort of mindset, you can't even be bothered to find a way out of it. What I end up doing is to kind of sit around and wait until the swamp dries up (and you never know when it will, so it could last for months or years), or for someone to pull you out. But I feel as if every time I get stuck in the swamp, I cause distress and trouble for everyone who cares about me, and the cycle will continue - I will keep on getting stuck, and people around me will keep on getting hurt, all because of me. And there will be a million things I should be doing but keep on getting put off, and since I know I'm just avoiding those things I feel guilty about doing so and become even more depressed and hate myself even more...you get the idea.

The point being, seeing as how it can actually be difficult to find your way out of that swamp alone, it's really easiest when you can enlist someone else to help you. A professional, a friend, someone who can recognize your symptoms and would be willing to pull you out of it.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 51
This has actually been on and off and on again for years I'm talking maybe even a period as large as 24 years. In the early days I had periods of extreme hyperactive elation followed by a major down, then I started on alcohol which kind of put me on an even keel (basically feeling woozy all the time) so really I've been up and down like a yo yo for the best part of my life. It's only recently the lows have been lasting a lot longer, this recent trough has been hanging over me for months and months now. I must get to the doctor and try some anti depressants again but I'm finding it hard even dragging myself to the phone to make an appointment let alone actually going to the flamin' Doctor's surgery
blink.gif
Just as I said earlier on, it's that "I'll do it tomorrow" thing.

These guys who tell you to "snap out of it" have obviously never experienced "it" themselves, if they had they'd know just how bloody hard it is to snap into anything let alone snap out of it. I wish it were that easy to snap out of, click my fingers and all's well again... that would be great.

Somebody mentioned the sun....... well, there isn't any here at the moment. Just have a look at the weather here today is a good day for these parts. Sunrise at 9am and sunset at 3pm with the daytime being mostly as dark as the Earl of hell's waistcoat. So no chance of sun for quite some time I don't think
blink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 51
I too suffer from depression; apparently it’s an epidemic.

While speaking to my doctor about depression he suggested some anti-depressants. I asked: Is depression an unrealistic response if your life really does suck?

Acquaintances occasionally accuse me of being a pessimist. My response:

No I’m not a pessimist, I’m a realist, is it my fault that life sucks.

I won’t offer any advice, because I don’t have any. I will however monitor this thread incase there are any gems of wisdom. So far nothing new.

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far nothing new.

Yup, nothing that hasn't already been tried many times over the years
wink.gif
Any possibility it could have something to with 1961 Yikes?

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #24 of 51
Anything to do with 1961? A casual observer might think that it’s a “Mid-life Crisis”, and if it was a recent phenomenon they might even be correct.

I have absolutely no idea what the heck I’m writing about, but from what Pink has posted I would guess that he tends towards the bipolar end of the spectrum, and self-medicates with alcohol. Whereas I believe I tend towards the mono-polar end of the spectrum, and self-medicate with food. Both forms of self-medication are equally self-destructive.

As far as listening to some motivational tape, I’d rather shoot myself, or maybe the person who suggested it.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 51
Yikes- Yeah, some theorize that it's because of technological progress. The internet, and email, for one and for example, means that instead of sending out a letter and not having to reply for at least a couple of days, we get near instant replies and an obligation to reply just as fast. The media means that even those living in small towns can compare their lives and lifestyles with those living not just in the bigger cities around his country, but around the world. Adds up to the overall dissatisfaction that can affect many people.

And yeah, I meant bipolar when I mentioned that I had depression
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

I must get to the doctor and try some anti depressants again but I'm finding it hard even dragging myself to the phone to make an appointment let alone actually going to the flamin' Doctor's surgery
blink.gif
Just as I said earlier on, it's that "I'll do it tomorrow" thing.

I know that feeling all too well - for me it took ages before I would go to the doctor and it was actually a real low that got me there in the end. I felt so down I couldn't even look the guy straight in the face as I was telling him what I was feeling. However looking back over the last 6-7 months or so and I do actually see an improvement even though each day seemed to be the same as the day before.

I would encourage you to speak to the doctor and let them know what your going through - just telling someone out loud what your feeling does wonders I feel.

Quote:

These guys who tell you to "snap out of it" have obviously never experienced "it" themselves, if they had they'd know just how bloody hard it is to snap into anything let alone snap out of it. I wish it were that easy to snap out of, click my fingers and all's well again... that would be great.

Those guys used to anger me so much that I'd get to the point of never wanting to meet with them. I'd chat to someone for an hour or so attempting to explain what I was going through and, after it all, they still wouldn't get it and have no idea what I was talking about. Now I actually envy them - someone whose life has taken the turns that mean that, even when bad things happen to them, life on the whole is going well. Maybe it's just the way that their outlook lets them see things or maybe it's the way the chemical processes of their brain differs to mine. All I know is that I wish I could live a life where things didn't affect me the way they do at the moment.

Quote:

Somebody mentioned the sun....... well, there isn't any here at the moment. Just have a look at the weather here today is a good day for these parts. Sunrise at 9am and sunset at 3pm with the daytime being mostly as dark as the Earl of hell's waistcoat. So no chance of sun for quite some time I don't think
blink.gif

I don't know what to suggest about the sun. I'm a fair way south from you (in Derby) but even here there isn't much sun at all. I try to get fresh air a lot as I find that actually does make me feel better and I'd encourage you to try that - maybe just a 20-30min walk a day or something?

Hope you get through Pink - there's plenty of friends here on Head-Fi who are thinking of you
580smile.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #27 of 51
My biggest problem is procrastination.

It happens when I put off too many things to do. Then it really piles up, and becomes overwhelming, then I have a difficult time doing anything.

Best way to combat this, is to pick one thing, and just finish that one thing. Then move on to another. and another.

But it's like plugging holes in a leaking dam it seems....

-Ed

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Yup, nothing that hasn't already been tried many times over the years
wink.gif
Any possibility it could have something to with 1961 Yikes?

You and Yikes are getting C+ grades....
biggrin.gif

Wayne wrote it few posts ago.

Avoid at all cost to put all your eggs in one basket.

Do many things at once (No I'm not thinking about burning the candle by both ends). One thing is going terribly wrong? Just let it go.

There is indeed so little time and so much to do...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back