Do you consider rap to be "music"?
Jul 24, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #151 of 166
If its sound, has rythm, and a melody, its music, no matter what ANY of you thinks.

If you hate rap thats ok, you probably just don understand it and dont want to understand it, and thats also ok.

If you love rap then maybe you dont understand it but like the sound of it, and thats ok too.

In any case, calling a music genre not music is ridiculous, you people do not define music, has anyone here ever even sold an album they made?

Point is, you don't necessarily know the way people think and thus don't know what their music necessarily means, you may catch a glimpse of whats meant, and over time and lots of listening you may even understand most of it, but in the end there'll always be something you don't understand, being NOT in the musician/rapper's head, and calling what is very much music to millions of people across the globe NOT music is a pretty fascist way of thinking if you ask me.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #152 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
If its sound, has rythm, and a melody, its music, no matter what ANY of you thinks.

I agree with you, I hate Rap but it is music. There is another large thread about the subject I have been debating in about this same topic, it is music even if you think it sucks, I hate Country too but it is music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fogia.4
If you hate rap thats ok, you probably just don understand it and dont want to understand it, and thats also ok.

This is where I disagree with you, as I pointed out in the other thread, I have been listening to rap on and off my whole life, since I have been old enough to understand what music is I have heard rap, my older siblings loved it in the late 80s till today. Some of the first cds I ever purchased were rap, but I got a bit older and started looking into music myself and started to really dislike rap after a while, my taste changed. I understand it well enough, I just don't like it.

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #153 of 166
no. it's not music because when i go to the local music store I can't find any sheet music for it!
icon10.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #155 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
i hate rap
frown.gif
BUT let's just face it... 50 Cent is the Frank Sinatra of our time...
mad.gif

Yes, and even more than that... Eminem is the Beethoven of our time... MTV is the... uhhh... forget it
biggrin.gif
of our time...

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #156 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
i hate rap
frown.gif
BUT let's just face it... 50 Cent is the Frank Sinatra of our time...
mad.gif

The dumbest thing I have ever heard someone say in a college class was in an English class, we were studying poetry and someone said "All the poets became rappers"

blink.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #158 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
no. it's not music because when i go to the local music store I can't find any sheet music for it!
icon10.gif

Ha... That thought was in my mind too but I figured I'd played the devils advocate roll enough
icon10.gif

Interesting angle though...

gratefulshrink - the answer is no, read this again:
"I do not see color or culture when I am listening to music; it is only about what I am hearing."

Jul 25, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #160 of 166
Yes it is music but I dont think the rappers are musicians more like poets
I do not like rap but I can not say it is crap because the people who listen to it can just as easily say the stuff I listen to is just noise and alot of times they do especialy Disco Volante from Mr Bungle.

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #161 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
...but you must have realized that by ridiculing (read: should it be considered to be music) a genre dominated by one subculture in society, you would, by association, be ridiculing that subculture.
confused.gif

First, I disagree with this statement completely and second, wakeride is not ridiculing anything. I think those of you who keep bringing up race are seeing something that's not there.

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #162 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
First, I disagree with this statement completely and second, wakeride is not ridiculing anything. I think those of you who keep bringing up race are seeing something that's not there.

maybe...but then again, if many see it, maybe it IS there......

Anyway, how do you end a thread after all??????

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #163 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
maybe...but then again, if many see it, maybe it IS there......

Anyway, how do you end a thread after all??????

"Many"??? I think I counted 3 out of 161 replies...

the thread is on it's way out or as said in Princess Bride "mostly dead"
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #164 of 166
I listen to some crazy electronic music so I like the sounds sythesizers and samplers can make, but there appears to be no real innovation, invention or creativity with most modern rap music. It's like every song is similar in structure, but with a gimmick. Like the 'funny' voice on that b****y akon song, the puppets on the video of eminems song, etc. All of it seems marketed and created towards the short term disposable song idea, I don't think any of it will last.
Rap music seems to have de-generated over the years from a sort of urban blues to everything I despise about the music industry today. It doesn't really sell the music, it sells the images, the trends, the gimmicks, the attitudes, the videos, the quick fixes, the easy lyrics, the cheesy sound, the producers, the ladies, the rolexes. Re-reading this post makes me feel like I'm being too harsh on rap music in general and on people who want or have (lucky them) the stuff shown in music videos. I actually like some old rap music and I don't mind what lifestyle anyone has, but what I'm trying to say is that I dislike modern, mainstream rap because of what it has become, and what it represents. Here in rural England I see people bopping little heads along to big beats in little fords with big wheels. I just think I know it's making them happy, but it's just making me sad. Someone please agree with me so I don't sound like a madman!

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #165 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
I listen to some crazy electronic music so I like the sounds sythesizers and samplers can make, but there appears to be no real innovation, invention or creativity with most modern rap music. It's like every song is similar in structure, but with a gimmick. Like the 'funny' voice on that b****y akon song, the puppets on the video of eminems song, etc. All of it seems marketed and created towards the short term disposable song idea, I don't think any of it will last.
Rap music seems to have de-generated over the years from a sort of urban blues to everything I despise about the music industry today. It doesn't really sell the music, it sells the images, the trends, the gimmicks, the attitudes, the videos, the quick fixes, the easy lyrics, the cheesy sound, the producers, the ladies, the rolexes. Re-reading this post makes me feel like I'm being too harsh on rap music in general and on people who want or have (lucky them) the stuff shown in music videos. I actually like some old rap music and I don't mind what lifestyle anyone has, but what I'm trying to say is that I dislike modern, mainstream rap because of what it has become, and what it represents. Here in rural England I see people bopping little heads along to big beats in little fords with big wheels. I just think I know it's making them happy, but it's just making me sad. Someone please agree with me so I don't sound like a madman!

Agreed.

Now we can both be madmen.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back