Do you celebrate Christmas?
Dec 13, 2006 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm kinda interested in seeing the percentage of Head-Fiers that celebrate Christmas. Nothing religious intended by this poll, only to see how many here celebrate it.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 45
In the sense that it's a tradition that hasn't, yet, been banned by the PC brigade then YES.... I'm all for it, long may it continue. In a religious sense, no, I don't do religion at all.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 45
Not only do I celebrate Christmas but I celebrate Christmas year round because I have a lot of great Christmas CDs from jazz artists and classical works. The music is so good that I believe good music can be heard any time of the year and the spirit of the music is wonderful to enjoy at any time.

I also love celebrating Christmas in the summer too because it's also a great form of escapism and a nice way to escape stress and to think about the beauty of winter and the holidays. Thinking about the Christmas spirit and winter is great especially when I get tired of the sunny days and the beach. I love winter very much and I even dream about it in the summer and Christmas is fun with me at any time 24/7. Ho Ho Ho!

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 45
Fo Show! I could do without the stress and shopping traffic but I enjoy the time with family and appreciate the Christian meaning deeply.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 45
I'd like to, but it's just not something that my family does. Hell, we don't celebrate anything, even our "native" holidays.
plainface.gif

Used to really hate the holiday season as a kid, especially while at school. You were pretty much forced to take part in whatever christmas activies, even though you know you ain't eating turkey or getting crap under no tree.
tongue.gif
Also, other kids can be real bastards.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 45
Look forward to celebrating it every year. Sure it can be stressful, but its so fantastic to spend time with family. And as for the religious part, I sure do too.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 45
Yeah. It's a tradition I love. Snow (some years I get to it), fireplaces, lights, gifts, big meals, holiday films, etc. Also like a lot of big events there's a felt general group change (good or bad) to think about things outside our normal daily lives.

That said I worry about both the PC groups (celebrate all traditions, not water it down to none) and the religious groups (historically it's not the "reason for the season" - many elements like "Christmas" trees, "Yule"-tide, even the dates origin, have little to do with that specific tradition, etc. - or to put it another way, if elements outside a faith can be integrated in - they can be pulled back out too for others.). The holiday will continue to evolve.

But my biggest problem with Christmas is that it is my birthday.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 45
Not really....I just use it as an excuse to buy and receive gifts. But I'm not really into the whole yuletide spirit.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 45
I'm an atheist, but I celebrate it as a secular holiday, which it's steadily becoming on its own (through companies commercializing it to appeal to a greater audience and sell more products).

It's a great time of year; a holiday for giving to others, and spending time with loved ones is great.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 45
I celebrate it... but purely as a secular lets all get together and have a nice time way... Even when I was religious, it always seemed like a pretty secular holiday.

I guess my feelings are summed up by a quote from the Dilbert animated series... Here is butchered version of it (can't seem to find the exact quote):

Sometimes the holiday season can get a little hectic and commercial. And under that its all hollow and meaningless. But under all of those layers of commercialization, crassness and hollowness... yes... there is a warmth that is special to holidays.

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 45
No, none of it.

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the sense that it's a tradition that hasn't, yet, been banned by the PC brigade then YES.... I'm all for it, long may it continue. In a religious sense, no, I don't do religion at all.

Same here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back