Do You Buy Lossy Music?
Aug 27, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 28
Never! I only buy CD's, Vinyl, Reels and other lossless media.
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 28
I bought some tracks off iTunes a few years ago, but have no plans to buy again. I only pick up used silver and black discs. I've been toying with the idea of reel.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #18 of 28
Nope, only CDs for me. I love to read the liner notes and feel I lose the continuity if I don't have/listen to the whole album. Besides used CDs are often cheaper than iTunes (when considering the whole).

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, only CDs for me. I love to read the liner notes and feel I lose the continuity if I don't have/listen to the whole album. Besides used CDs are often cheaper than iTunes (when considering the whole).

Apple and the record labels are reportedly working on an enhanced album art and liner notes standard. All in an effort to drive sales of whole albums rather than individual tracks. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

All of the music that I buy is whole albums. I've never purchased an individual track. The album is still king to me.

I also buy most of my music as used CDs. Buying a used CD from Amazon is often cheaper than buying the MP3 album download from Amazon. And you get it lossless. The downside to buying a CD is that you have to take the time to rip it, tag it, look for good album art online and if you can't find suitable album art you have to scan it in yourself and photoshop it so it looks good. That all takes time. Theoretically a digital download should have all that done for you so you don't have to do any tag editing or look for better album art. Unfortunately that is not always the case. I still end up editing the tags of downloaded files and the included album art is not always up to my standards (some of the Amazon MP3 album art is apparently scanned by people who have no idea what they are doing with a scanner).

Lossless album downloads with full enhanced album art and album notes and consistent tags would be golden.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 28
sadly, since stock selection in The Philippines is sorely lacking (mostly Top 40 fare. How many ***** Cat Dolls cds do i need?? Zero.) I am forced to make do with the excellent, albeit lossy selection of emusic

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznap /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am a huge advocate of listening to albums for the sake of coherence. That's actually why I use iTunes...sometimes I want a record NOW so I buy it and listen to it right away. If I ordered it on Amazon and waited two days for it to come, then I might not be in the mood for another two weeks.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 28
Never. I buy CDs when I find something I like, and if there is something I NEED to listen to right away I'll just listen to it on youtube to tide me over until I get the album.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #24 of 28
buying lossy music for someone with audiophile interests is like a chef buying mcdonalds.......i feel it happens occassionally with me.......like if i want to instantly hear a song I don't own, I download the track on itunes......but if it's something which I really am interested in I have to own a lossless version of it.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #26 of 28
I wanted to go legit about 2 years ago and start paying for music. I had stopped buying new CD's in the mid nineties due to the music industry's failed promise of lower prices that never materialized.
So I got a subscription to Napster. I paid $15/month for unlimited downloads, unless it was a new and popular song, then it was another $1. What!? So I was getting 256kb/s .mp3's that were encrypted. So then I had to strip the encryption off of them before I could burn them or copy to another source. I said "F-this. I'm going back to pirating".
But for the last year I've been browsing the $5 CD racks and have picked up a few discs. Mostly greatest hits albums that are great ways to get a bunch of great tunes without all the filler stuff in the original albums.
But just within the last couple of weeks I decided to take Uncle Erics advice and shop for used CD's. It's really the best way to go. At Half-Priced Books I got 19 CD's and a DVD for $34 the other day. Almost all of the cd's were virtually scratch free and the one that had a bad scratch still plays fine (Cat Stevens-Tea for the Tillerman). Jewel cases are cheap so I can have nice new-looking CD's for pennies on the dollar, legally, while sticking it to the record companies.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you buy lossy music

I don't buy even lossless music.

It just comes to me naturally
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back